shape
carat
color
clarity

starter diamond studs

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
looking for my first pair of starter studs.
prefer 6/8 prongs, miligrain or grace's clover setting.
budget under $2000 USD/$2500 CAD including setting.
color doesn't have to be very high, neither does clarity, as long as its eye clean.
i want the sparkliest diamonds i can get for the price, and obviously as big as possible.

i was searching on bluenile canadian site and it seems like i can get get 0.90ctw pairs for $2000 CAD + setting.
are those pairs any good?
i've also checked whiteflash/brian gavin but for the same price i'm limited to much smaller diamonds.
can someone point me to the right direction?
i'm also open to buying old cut diamonds or previously owned pairs.

thanks!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1461780676|4024227 said:
I have seen some nice studs from IDJ in show me the bling lately. I am very happy with the way they do milgrain - my latest being a milgrained pendant. If you want to see an example of their 8 prong, Bliss had some pictures of IDJ 8 prong settings
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cocktail-hour-2-16-tcw-studs-reset-into-8-prong-martinis.133892/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cocktail-hour-2-16-tcw-studs-reset-into-8-prong-martinis.133892/[/URL]
THANKS!!! i contacted them and cant wait to hear back.

how do these look?
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-18ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-earrings/
these are the only pair of pre owned ones i found. they're definitely bigger than anything new i can find.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
I personally do not like the prongs on these: i find them to be very obtrusive. Further, the pattern on these OECs is pretty rustic and not the most pleasing to my eye. Do you want OECs rather than MRBs for your earrings? For 'starter studs' I'd go with MRB, and I would not sacrifice quality for size.

I very recently (last week) got a pair of 1.4ctw studs from ID Jewelry and am super, super happy. The diamonds Yekutiel found for me are stunning, and the setting extremely delicate. He is great at working within a budget, so I would most definitely recommend IDJ.

Here's the thread with my pair:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-idj-studs.222347/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-idj-studs.222347/[/URL]

Q

Queenie60

Agree - IDJ can find you a great pear of studs within your budget. Give Yekutiel a call - he's quite easy to do business with. Good luck. :wavey:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Find out about their upgrade policy too. They definitely have one.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Double agree IDJ

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, thanks so much for the comments.
IDJ got back to me and told me what they can get for me given my budget.
do i need to request for any aset/idealscope pictures of the diamonds or am i good to go with the purchase given their track record?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
dawnxcui|1462393292|4027279 said:
do i need to request for any aset/idealscope pictures of the diamonds or am i good to go with the purchase given their track record?

Dawn what size of stone did IDJ say you might get with that budget? I'm looking for similar studs and paying with Cdn funds.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
maccers|1462393719|4027281 said:
dawnxcui|1462393292|4027279 said:

Dawn what size of stone did IDJ say you might get with that budget? I'm looking for similar studs and paying with Cdn funds.
just over 1ctw, eye clean, 8 prong pointer claws, 14k white gold, push back, i'm not sure what color they are LOL... i should probably ask

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
You can trust Yekutiel, that's for sure. But since (I assume) you won't be seeing the diamonds in person until they're done and shipped to you, you may want to request for certs and ASET images if you're worried (but you shouldn't be!).

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Can't wait to see what you pick.

Q

Queenie60

Hi OP - you most certainly can trust IDJ however, be sure to see the GIA certificates and get all of the specs from Yekutiel. Be sure to confirm that the cut is excellent and they have the sparkle you're looking for. You also need to know your color tolerance. And I suggest that you take a look at different settings to be sure you get what works best for you as far as taste and what works best on your ears. Good luck - I'm sure you will get what you're looking for but I do urge you to be specific about your requirements.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
At a minimum you want a good idealscope from the stones. And a crown over 33.5 and depth less than 62.4.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
I asked for a setting like this one.

But I found this and it also looks very nice.

My earlobes point up slightly, is there a way or a particular setting that makes it look more perpendicular to the ground so I don't as much basket but only see the diamond?

Also should I ask to have the diamond sit low on the earlobes? Or leave it to the bench?

_3455.jpeg

_3456.jpeg

Q

Queenie60

img_1789.jpg

This is the setting Yekutiel made for my studs. They sit nicely on the ears. I'm sure that you could secure the stud with a push back and if you don't push it tight up to the back of your ear, it will lay loose on your ear and will show more of the stone. Speak to Yekutiel about your ear lobe and I'm sure he can direct you to something that will work. Also, you may consider gold rather than platinum in the event you want to upgrade the stones in the future.

Q

Queenie60

Hi OP - updates? How are you doing with your search?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1462813031|4029339 said:
Hi OP - updates? How are you doing with your search?
Last I've heard you sourced one diamond waiting on the other one today

Q

Queenie60

Exciting! Specs? Do you like them? How will you have them set?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1462831418|4029490 said:
Exciting! Specs? Do you like them? How will you have them set?
1.00ctw F-G SI (Eye clean). 8prong martini white gold. Claw prong. they said the other setting is more expensive and I figured since u can't see he back no need to spend money on that.

Q

Queenie60

Very nice - hope you enjoy them. :wavey:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, I finally got the ASET and idealscope images.

I'm no expert in this but diamond A looks cracked to me..
And that giant green dot in the middle means light leakage right ? I dont want the diamonds to have a donut effect with a black hole in the middle lol

ASET

IDEALSCOPE

aa-aset_white-01.jpg

bb-aset_white-01.jpg

aa-idealscope-01.jpg

bb-idealscope-01.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
OFFICE LIGHT

aa-officelight_black-01.jpg

bb-officelight_black-01.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have a pair of 0.78 ctw F-G SI-1 uncerted excellent cut diamonds from IDJ and I like them fine.

If these are just starter diamond studs, and you can apply them 100% to upgrades, then I would give them a shot, save up, and get bigger certed ones in the future. The return policy is also good too if you see them and don't like them - verify with IDJ though on the T&C.

The other option is to get lower color GIA certed diamonds, PS recommended specs with fluor. It's up to you, but I think the discussion should be had...

Q

Queenie60

PintoBean|1462894631|4029794 said:
Well, I have a pair of 0.78 ctw F-G SI-1 uncerted excellent cut diamonds from IDJ and I like them fine.

If these are just starter diamond studs, and you can apply them 100% to upgrades, then I would give them a shot, save up, and get bigger certed ones in the future. The return policy is also good too if you see them and don't like them - verify with IDJ though on the T&C.

The other option is to get lower color GIA certed diamonds, PS recommended specs with fluor. It's up to you, but I think the discussion should be had...

I say this!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Queenie60|1462894992|4029798 said:
PintoBean|1462894631|4029794 said:

I say this!
should i be concerned of the green right in the middle of both the diamonds? what about the crack looking inclusion in diamond A? will that cause the diamond to chip/crack?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the crack - verify that if it's a feather it's not going to break through the surface, or isn't at the surface. As Ms. Whitney Houston once said, "crack is whack". Applying that, you don't want a diamond that would easily shatter if you whacked the crack.

Q

Queenie60

The photos you have are super zoomed. So of course all inclusions are going to show, more so than a loupe. You need to speak with Yekutiel and address all of your concerns. He will be honest with you and it's not too late to find something else. Also, remember that you will have a 30 day return period on the stones. Please - I encourage you to speak to Yekutiel and address your concerns. It's important that you love the stones, they sparkle on your ears and you do not regret your purchase. I see a few black inclusions in the photos, not sure if you will be able to see them with the naked eye. Yekutiel can answer all of this. Good luck and report back to us. I assure you that you're in good hands with IDJ.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results