shape
carat
color
clarity

Started shopping..anything else I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
First off I am beginning to love this place! I have been searching and reading all I can before I decided in making this post. So here is where I am at....

Setting
Halo setting
14K white gold or platinum
Single band
Size 5.5

Stone
Budget $5,000
Round
.75-1.05
Ideal Cut..AGS 0-2
VS2-SI1 I want an eye clean stone
G-I

Is there anything else I need to know? I think for my budget I will end up with something .8-.9 range for the cut and clarity I want. I also found that coverage chart and for her ring size .8-.9 covers a recommended %. Anyone in Denver recommend a jeweler? I am going to start working with Jay Feders in downtown here shortly as they are family owned. The jeweler all my family bought there stones from just passed on and the store was shut down. think 3 generations....
7.gif

Thoughts? Anyone have photos of something similar I could look at ?

Thanks!
Joe

vf0valkyrie

Rough_Rock
Hi Joe,

First and foremost, welcome to PS!

You can do a quick search based on your criteria here.
It will provide you a quick guide to the to the price range you can expect with your requirements.

One thing I would look out if I were you, is given your colour range, you want want to look for a diamond with medium blur or strong blue flouro so as to give the diamond a whiter and brighter look.

As for eye clean, you can ask the SA from the vendor you are dealing with to check it for you.

How''s this one?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4535/

A little of your budget, but looks stunning, very well cut.

Sorry to hear about the your family jeweler...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 12:12:06 PM
Author:HpiRally
First off I am beginning to love this place! I have been searching and reading all I can before I decided in making this post. So here is where I am at....

Setting
Halo setting
Single band
Size 5.5

Stone
Budget $5,000
Round
.75-1.05
Ideal Cut..AGS 0-2
G-I

Is there anything else I need to know? I think for my budget I will end up with something .8-.9 range for the cut and clarity I want. I also found that coverage chart and for her ring size .8-.9 covers a recommended %. Anyone in Denver recommend a jeweler? I am going to start working with Jay Feders in downtown here shortly as they are family owned. The jeweler all my family bought there stones from just passed on and the store was shut down. think 3 generations....
7.gif

Thoughts? Anyone have photos of something similar I could look at ?

Thanks!
Joe
Welcome!

Your specs sound fine, are you open to buying online or would you prefer to work with a store jeweller in your area?

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
i would prefer to buy from a jeweler here in town. I understand it might cost me a bit more but the piece of mind in holding the stone before buying it is something I like.

thanks
joe

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was also looking at something like this....

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218699.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

thanks
Joe

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good! You should request for IS image from JA and at the same time, ask them whether its eyeclean at your expectation.

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
If you would feel better about dealing with someone local to you in Denver, I would contact Neil Beaty and ask him for some recommendations. Check appraisers under the resources tab at the top of the page for information on how to contact him. However, if you listen to the pros, they can give you great advice on purchasing a diamond online.
Good luck on your search. Keep us posted!

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
awesome...thanks for the tip. I will seek him out. Jay Feder came recommended from a client of mine who uses them.

I am having a hard time finding a halo setting that is simple. From looking at the tendencies of her other stuff in her jewelry box the stones tend to sit down a small bit, and seem very simple. I think I might design a band

joe

dee96789

Rough_Rock
If you''re willing to travel a little bit, I really like the service at Cronin Jewelers in Boulder. Also a family owned store, we just ordered our wedding bands from them. -Dee

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
more than willing to travel...I will check them out.

Thanks!!!
joe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 1:52:19 PM
Author: megeve
Looks good! You should request for IS image from JA and at the same time, ask them whether its eyeclean at your expectation.
Ditto

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 12:12:06 PM
Author:HpiRally

Setting
Halo setting
Single band
Size 5.5

Stone
Budget $5,000
Round
.75-1.05
Ideal Cut..AGS 0-2
G-I

Is there anything else I need to know? I think for my budget I will end up with something .8-.9 range for the cut and clarity I want. I also found that coverage chart and for her ring size .8-.9 covers a recommended %.

Joe, it sounds as though you have a solid game plan. I know it's easily attainable with online goods, and I'd imagine you should be able to hit your numbers with a reputable local fine jeweler as well. In massaging your parameters, keep in mind that cut has the most impact on the sparkle of a diamond, so I'd lean toward exercising your wiggle room on color and clarity to the extent you might need to.
1.gif

Best of luck to you.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
thanks for the info everyone!

My plan for wiggle room was this....

Cut is the most important parameter for me...that is something I wont compromise on. Then Clarity...having an eye clean stone is important to me...then Color. I have found that anything from g-i I pretty much cant tell the difference but I can between VS2 and SI2. Does that make sense?

I would rather have an ideal cut I, VS2 than an Excellent cut G, SI1.Make sense? is that a good idea or plan?

Joe

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are off to a really great start!! The one thing I might add is that not all halo settings are created equal. Be sure to buy one that has excellent craftsmanship otherwise you are going to loose stones like crazy. In addition, different halo styles have fairly diffeent looks. You might want to show her a few styles to see which she likes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2009 2:24:02 PM
Author: HpiRally
thanks for the info everyone!

My plan for wiggle room was this....

Cut is the most important parameter for me...that is something I wont compromise on. Then Clarity...having an eye clean stone is important to me...then Color. I have found that anything from g-i I pretty much cant tell the difference but I can between VS2 and SI2. Does that make sense?

I would rather have an ideal cut I, VS2 than an Excellent cut G, SI1.Make sense? is that a good idea or plan?

Joe
That sounds fine Joe, just be careful to evaluate each diamond carefully on its proportions and appearance/ beauty to make sure of getting a really well cut diamond - don''t rely on labels such as Ideal Cut, Excellent Cut if vendor applied. Of course if you are considering AGS0 cut grade these should narrow the range of well cut diamonds, GIA Excellent cut can also be superb choices but as their criteria for this cut grade is broad, evaluate these particularly carefully.

HpiRally

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the replies...

Is there a way to tell a good halo setting from a bad halo setting? I am looking towards a split shank halo design. I would prefer to not show her and I know her tastes well. If you care enough to listen a female will tell you exactly what she wants. You might need to mix and match...to get it 100% though.

I already told the jeweler I will looking at the stone resting in the setting under natural light. I want to pick the setting first...then the diamond second so I can sit it in the setting and see it under sun light.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results