shape
carat
color
clarity

star sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
My Fiancee''s mom has a star sapphire ring set in white gold that she is lending me for my upcoming wedding.
We just got it today and after doing some research on here I am wondering if it might be synthetic.

Here is the info I have:

It was purchased in the late 60''s from Zales for $250.00 (price includes the setting)

It looks pretty perfect to me. Nice medium/dark blue, very even color. Star is not centered quite perfectly but is pretty close. And it does move as I turn the ring.
I checked under the stone and it does not have the "Linde" L anywhere however I would venture to guess that if it was sold by Zales and it was synthetic it was probably their own brand.

Any input?

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic of it

star-sapphire.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure looks perfect to me: vivid blue colour and a very strong and centered star. For $250, even if bought years ago, would make me suspicious. Well, even if it turns out to be synthetic, it''s the sentimentality behind it that is touching.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got a whole set from my Grammy that turned out to be synthetics, but I still love them none the less.
1.gif
It''s a lovely ring!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Agree with the rest - if it were natural, the price tag would have at least another zero on the right end (if not more). But it''s nice anyway.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
It is most likely a synthetic Verneuil process star sapphire. Nice blue Linde Star. Check the bottom of the stone if it has an open setting, You will most likely find an engraved L which Linde made on all their synthetic stars. Rest of the bottom is polished.

wishful

Brilliant_Rock
No "L" on the bottom as far as I can see. Also bottom does not seem to be polished but it is flat.
At any rate, I agree with everyone who''s posted....I think it''s probably a synthetic.

Thanks for taking a look!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results