shape
carat
color
clarity

Star Sapphire ring

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the photos, looks like a classic Linde Star Sapphire men's ring - enjoy!

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Based on the photos, looks like a classic Linde Star Sapphire men's ring - enjoy!

No it actually moves,has rough back and was authenticated,in an estate auction,the jeweler got it as par of a collection,that is consigned

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
No it actually moves,has rough back and was authenticated,in an estate auction,the jeweler got it as par of a collection,that is consigned

So,it is a real stone,not synthetic,I have an eye for quality band when the almost holographic star jumped out at me I knew I was holding something special=]

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I agree that it's synthetic. Modern synthetics move. The lines are very thin.

Is it still worth what I paid?
I really like it,so I'll keep it either way,just wondering

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

It is real to my relief,passed the breath test,cleared in under a second
Also it has waves running through it,fine but prominent bands

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

So to sum it up,it's small but authentic,I was actually drawn to it by the way a smaller star Sapphire catches light,less of a sun and more of a holographic effect that almost plays with the eyes it's so well,fine..it's the only ring of the few I was looking at that I felt I had to have,no air bubbles either(good sign),Somthing said authentic that was more instinct and intuition than raw knowledge,I'm going to college this winter for gemology,this was the first precious stone that I've hit dead on the head and it's what broke the camel's back when it comes to going to college,it's something I'm good at annnnd it makes me happy,funny thing is I've actually had experience with synthetic,when compared to the real shiny finish of a natural,there's really no comparison,can't believe I was worried (=

Last edited:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I don’t know what you paid, but it’s worth its gold weight.

Synthetic corundum would behave the same way as natural corundum. I don’t know anything about a sapphire breath test, but synthetic sapphires are plentiful. A natural sapphire likely would not be in a setting like that.

Enjoy your ring.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “breath test” is nonsense. All it might tell you is that the stone is coloured glass. Glass will stay foggy longer.
Lab created sapphires will “test” exactly the same as natural sapphire because lab grown sapphire is essentially the exact same chemical composition.
Star sapphires are a quirk of nature. Sapphires contain rutile and depending on the formation of the crystal, the rutile inclusions can “line up” to produce a reflection when a bright light source is directed at the gemstone that resemble “lines”.
Lab created star sapphires can be real sapphire. It’s just that they are created by growing the crystal structure in a lab under perfect conditions. Thats why they look so “perfect”.
Natural star sapphires aren’t so perfect. 3C0D428D-78C8-4923-BEAE-4D4208D97566.jpeg EF601A25-9E67-4E1A-9F14-9169EB6A3A1F.jpeg A0B62CEE-769E-451E-8F06-A06B7131BD5F.jpeg

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know what you paid, but it’s worth its gold weight.

Synthetic corundum would behave the same way as natural corundum. I don’t know anything about a sapphire breath test, but synthetic sapphires are plentiful. A natural sapphire likely would not be in a setting like that.

Enjoy your ring.

Breath tests hold up for distinguishing density,and porosity of diamonds and cz(as well as saphires),the glassy "fake" Sapphire holds moisture,a real stone should disperse it nearly impossible to fog up,this stone has a glow and gemlike luster whereas the fake falls flat in many ways,duller by comparison...as for the setting,it's meant to bring out the small stone and reflect and attract light complimentarty to the stone, lab saphires of this age aren't the same as modern,newer stones are almost indistinguishable except under jewelers microscope,as it is around 50 years old it can only be natural
Especially as the example I'm about to show you is much cloudier, similarities yes,but duller lacking shine
Also I see waves running through mine that indicate slow overlapping growth,the synthetic is perfect and uniform,dead givaway

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a natural stone. But as with your previous post I assume you will refuse to believe us.

W

westofhere

So far $30 for a sterling and yellow CZ, $89 for sterling and orange glass, the poor quality chrome tourmaline, the peridot/synthetic diamond, the synthetic tiger’s eye, the larimar, and now this. Here’s hoping it’s not his mother’s money. And that if it’s his, he’s not living with her while spending hundreds on costume jewelry.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this new look of PS educational series we are getting.

its not the earlier year ago ‘fanfic drama‘ style.
and it’s not the latest data driven, time proven knowledge style either.

how refreshing!
:shrug:

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
Not a natural stone. But as with your previous post I assume you will refuse to believe us.

It was someone's wedding ring...Ive examined it under jewelers microscope...don't even bother
I've seen many synthetics,there's inclusions,no argument

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
It was someone's wedding ring...Ive examined it under jewelers microscope...don't even bother
I've seen many synthetics,there's inclusions,no argument

Also the light wavers when moves like in a serpentine fashion,you bring shame..

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
serpentine - serpents - temptation - shame
;)2

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock

I see more than I can show with a camera,it's a Africa blue star Sapphire as sold to me,under consignment of previous owner

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
I see more than I can show with a camera,it's a Africa blue star Sapphire as sold to me,under consignment of previous owner

But I guess the word of elders falls deaf on fools ears,no matter how sweet the wisdom

W

westofhere

Oh dear: now we’re getting Bibled

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
serpentine - serpents - temptation - shame
;)2

I'm kinda sad that older folks waste their time like this,it was sold authentic,Africa blue star Sapphire,was an engagement ring and has inclusions,you people simply defy logic,money does not equate experience,it's a specimen yet you go against reason to stay with the pack,if you have any kin,I hope they learn to accept your ways-_-

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
W
I'm kinda sad that older folks waste their time like this,it was sold authentic,Africa blue star Sapphire,was an engagement ring and has inclusions,you people simply defy logic,money does not equate experience,it's a specimen yet you go against reason to stay with the pack,if you have any kin,I hope they learn to accept your ways-_-

Was sold to me by a man who's been working with jewelry for over 45 years

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
The “breath test” is nonsense. All it might tell you is that the stone is coloured glass. Glass will stay foggy longer.
Lab created sapphires will “test” exactly the same as natural sapphire because lab grown sapphire is essentially the exact same chemical composition.
Star sapphires are a quirk of nature. Sapphires contain rutile and depending on the formation of the crystal, the rutile inclusions can “line up” to produce a reflection when a bright light source is directed at the gemstone that resemble “lines”.
Lab created star sapphires can be real sapphire. It’s just that they are created by growing the crystal structure in a lab under perfect conditions. Thats why they look so “perfect”.
Natural star sapphires aren’t so perfect. 3C0D428D-78C8-4923-BEAE-4D4208D97566.jpeg EF601A25-9E67-4E1A-9F14-9169EB6A3A1F.jpeg A0B62CEE-769E-451E-8F06-A06B7131BD5F.jpeg

Thank you for your input☺️

Newb2U

Shiny_Rock
“And lo the devil will come as a virgin from the southerly region, with rings on each fingers, and smelling of foul smoke.”

Better than fish,and stinginess,pherhaps boloney do I smell

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m old?
and who is ”you people”.

I'm the dude, playing the dude, disguised as another dude.
- Kirk Lazarus

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results