shape
carat
color
clarity

Star ruby with rose cut diamond ring CAD

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, I don't feel too comfortable commenting on your CADs because all your jewelry is so extraordinarily beautiful, there's no doubt you know far more about design than I do. Having said that here's my input. :))

It seems to me the two halo rounds at the shoulders are inclined at a greater angle than the other stones in the halo. They are following the curve of the shank rather than staying on the same plane as the rest of the halo. Thus there is no defined differential between the halo and the side stones. It might be worth reducing the incline angle of the entire halo so there is a definite elevation change between the halo and the shank shoulders. I would also consider making the side rounds much smaller than the rounds in the halo, so the eye can easily pick up the sides are apart from the halo.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz, I don't feel too comfortable commenting on your CADs because all your jewelry is so extraordinarily beautiful, there's no doubt you know far more about design than I do. Having said that here's my input. :))

It seems to me the two halo rounds at the shoulders are inclined at a greater angle than the other stones in the halo. They are following the curve of the shank rather than staying on the same plane as the rest of the halo. Thus there is no defined differential between the halo and the side stones. It might be worth reducing the incline angle of the entire halo so there is a definite elevation change between the halo and the shank shoulders. I would also consider making the side rounds much smaller than the rounds in the halo, so the eye can easily pick up the sides are apart from the halo.
Awe, thank you @prs ! Really, your help is very valuable to me :) That’s what I was thinking too...There is too much visual competition between the shank and the flower. I asked him to change it so that pears line up with the shank rather than rounds, so rounds would be at the N and S position. If that doesn’t look as good, I’ll ask for the modifications to the parts which you notice!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To better explain what I meant by elevation; I think your ring profile is somewhat of a carryover from when you had the marquise Ys running down the sides of the shank. A better way to differentiate the halo from the shank might be to have a front elevation view that looks more like this:
Halo Front Elevation (1).jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Also, if you decide to line up the pears with the shank, it might be fun to split the arms of the shank so they pass each side of a pear, Something like this:
Tanzanite Ring 7.70ct 1.jpg

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry this is too technical for me. Just wanted to chime in that the new CAD is more visually appealing and less complex to me. The star of the show will be the star!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you've gotten great advice so far. This ring is going to be lovely!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
100% agree with prs's comments. I have ben following this thread, but kept forgetting to comment, haha. If you want to keep the stones in the shank, you can make sure they don't blend into the halo 1) by making the stones smaller 2) by making the downward angle of the halo more flat so that it has a different angle than the stones in the shank 3) by having shank connect to the head under the halo rather than as a continuation of it 4) doing a cathedral as prs mentioned (this would help accomplish option 3, as it puts the shank diamonds at a very steep angle, very different from the halo). Or any combination of these things!

The overall design though is wonderful! I'm sure it will be beautiful :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs, I totally get what you are pointing out. I agree, angle and elevation between Halo and shank can provide differentiation to eliminate competition. And, I love the split shank idea! Thank you..so helpful. :)

@Burmesedaze, thank you for the feedback! Sigh, it’s too complicated for me too at times. I do want the star to be the star, so that is very helpful. It should be clear what the focus is.

@JPie, thank you! :)

@elliefire99, I Agee completely. Thanks for commenting/commenting! It is most helpful.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of designing to accentuate the star in the stone. I think the split shank would compete with the star visually. I like the original picture with the pears and rounds best. Whatever you decide, I know it’s going to be stunning!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This made me think of you!

07F120ED-9C47-400B-BA9C-54A4420F3F79.png
Ah, so pretty! Exactly the look that I love! That is really like an ice crystal cathedral:)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of designing to accentuate the star in the stone. I think the split shank would compete with the star visually. I like the original picture with the pears and rounds best. Whatever you decide, I know it’s going to be stunning!
Thank you @MissyBeaucoup ! That’s the one I’m going with. Appreciate you weighing in. I wasn’t expecting to become so indecisive with this, but when so many options are possible, the endless combinations became very vexing lol. That’s the simplest and the most fitting I think because the halo relates directly to the star without competing or being just extra details.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One final thought as we almost forgot to do this on our first CAD. Have you checked that shank width and thickness are to your personal preference? I had to dash to Home Depot to buy some calipers so I could measure DW's rings, and adjust the dimensions on the CAD to make sure the ring would be comfortable to wear and resist rotation.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One final thought as we almost forgot to do this on our first CAD. Have you checked that shank width and thickness are to your personal preference? I had to dash to Home Depot to buy some calipers so I could measure DW's rings, and adjust the dimensions on the CAD to make sure the ring would be comfortable to wear and resist rotation.
I’ve had this in the back of my mind to avoid spinning as much as possible, but have been so focused on diamond proportions and angles of the shank....so Thanks for bringing it up! it will need tapering . I think the width of 2.9 at the bottom looks nice, but I will ask him if he thinks this will be sufficient in his experience.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5EB1DDE8-52FE-4DE9-B3C1-BC6D584031D2.jpeg A2DA36CA-F64C-464F-AC8B-F4B589C090D7.jpeg Update...here is the latest CAD which changed the angle of the shank to the halo. David is concerned that it might be getting too high from profile view at almost 9 mm. It’s still in acceptable range I think, but the profile is perhaps less graceful ....I also asked about getting larger halo diamonds, but that would require shrinking either rounds or pears, which I think would really change the look.

So it’s either take one of these 2 versions, or shrinking shank diamonds ( perhaps even small pave MRB diamonds for a look of just glitter) and keeping the CAD version with the lower profile. ( I also saw a version which changed placement of rounds and pears with halo pears meeting at the shank, but it didn’t look as nice ) .

Any thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How small does the shank diamonds need to shrink? I'm going to guess that the center is so large and blingy that reducing the shank diamonds might not affect the overall look as much as one might expect.

I like the proportions of the halo to the cabochon as is and would suggest not making any adjustments.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How small does the shank diamonds need to shrink? I'm going to guess that the center is so large and blingy that reducing the shank diamonds might not affect the overall look as much as one might expect.

I like the proportions of the halo to the cabochon as is and would suggest not making any adjustments.
Do you find the first CAD more graceful than the second from profile view? Thank you for the feedback...that’s a really good point.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to have to make a request, because I'm confused by all the revisions. Do you mind posting 1st CAD vs latest CAD?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, what @chrono said. Going back in your thread, this is the third time you've shared CAD drawings, so it w would be helpful if you could make it clear which two you were considering.

This latest one does not have the type of profile @prs suggested, but I don't find it less graceful than the previous CAD incarnation. I would be upset if I specified the profile @prs provided, and David gave you something else instead.:x2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, what @chrono said. Going back in your thread, this is the third time you've shared CAD drawings, so it w would be helpful if you could make it clear which two you were considering.

This latest one does not have the type of profile @prs suggested, but I don't find it less graceful than the previous CAD incarnation. I would be upset if I specified the profile @prs provided, and David gave you something else instead.:x2
Sorry for the confusion @chrono and @voce! The above picture has 2 Cads in it. First one is the original and second one is with an angled shank. It’s only apparent when looking at the profile.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the top version (lower overall height). I wonder how it'll look with smaller shank melees though. But I shouldn't complicate things further, right? :mrgreen2:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am I right in thinking the only reason for the increase in height is to accommodate the three 2.50 mm rounds on each side of the shank? If so I think I'd go with smaller diamonds.

The ring is all rounds and flowing curves except the gallery, and to me that part of the design seems rather stark.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I right in thinking the only reason for the increase in height is to accommodate the three 2.50 mm rounds on each side of the shank? If so I think I'd go with smaller diamonds.

The ring is all rounds and flowing curves except the gallery, and to me that part of the design seems rather stark.
Me too. I think I’ve got the final design now. Thank you so much!

Reactions: prs

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I havent posted until now because I'm not awesome about giving CAD advice. Im also more into how the individual feels and their emotions about a design.

My two cents; Does the latest design feel right? Does it flow the way that you imagined?

With so many choices and decisions it is so easy for me to become overwelmed and start to overthink things, things of which before felt right to me. It happened and still happens when thinking about the design of my emerald engagement ring.

Overall, I'm so happy that youre designing a forever home for your luscious pomegranate seed so quickly!
I'm sure it will be the prettiest or at the least, one of the most stunning star ruby rings that I've ever seen!

Crossing my fingers and sending you "decisive" dust! :kiss2:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2:
I havent posted until now because I'm not awesome about giving CAD advice. Im also more into how the individual feels and their emotions about a design.

My two cents; Does the latest design feel right? Does it flow the way that you imagined?

With so many choices and decisions it is so easy for me to become overwelmed and start to overthink things, things of which before felt right to me. It happened and still happens when thinking about the design of my emerald engagement ring.

Overall, I'm so happy that youre designing a forever home for your luscious pomegranate seed so quickly!
I'm sure it will be the prettiest or at the least, one of the most stunning star ruby rings that I've ever seen!

Crossing my fingers and sending you "decisive" dust! :kiss2:
Thank you and thank you for commenting..CADS are hard for me too! Lol, I never imagined I’d be this indecisive...just as you said, I had it clearly in my mind based on feeling but then deciding on details has been a bit daunting having lead me to many many potential outcomes. :think: :eek2: But I think I’m there now with the gracious help of others. The pomegranate seed needs a home!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only just seen this thread, what an exciting project. I am very interested to see the finished ring it should look amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results