shape
carat
color
clarity

Star 129

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JFlO

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend finally took me to choose my e-ring. We fell in love with the diamond without knowing it was a star 129 (129 facets). My only concern now is that I don''t know if I made the right decision. Can you guys please help me choose size over clarity and color?
Choice #1: .78, SI2, H Price $3,980

Choice #2: .87, SI3, I Price $3,900

Thank you.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I suppose I would need to ask first if they are eye clean and who certified them?? As far as color the better the cut the less it will show its color. I am assuming that those two are both RB''s. So you can go as low as I or J in a Ideal cut round. You didn''t specifiy any info on either of the diamonds so it is really hard to give an opinion. I think for the price you could get a better price on a equal or better diamond from PS vendors. Are you for sure suck on these 2 diamonds or are you still looking?? Gook luck!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
On the Star 129 - I have a 100-faceted RB that is a branded cut, called the "centillion" cut. I got it 13 years ago. They no longer make and sell that cut of diamond. FYI, there are differences of opinion as to whether additional faceting is a good idea for an RB. The standard RB has 57-58 facets. It seems like maybe more would be better, but this is not necessarily true. Extra-faceted diamonds apparently have been trendy at various times. Right now, most jewelers have no idea of what a centillion cut is, and it is somewhat less marketable for trade-in because it does not have the hearts & arrows patterning that is popular now. The Star 129 is definitely a quality stone, but you might search around the net for some opinions about extra-faceted RBs.

Having spent 13 years with my 100-facet stone, I can say that it faces up blazingly white. There is a lot of scintillation, flashes of light and dark contrast. It has a lot of pinprick flashes. There is some fire inside the diamond under the table, mostly those pinprick flashes of it, with broader flashes from the faceting along the crown. I''m sometimes annoyed by all the faceting, however. The pattern of facets ends up being lots and lots of tiny slivers that converge in a tiny point. Sometimes it looks sort of, well, "busy," I guess. It is very active. Not a deep pool of icy water into which you can be drawn, but sharp and shard-filled, if that makes any sense.

If you love it, by all means. But definitely try on some lower-faceted RBs for comparison, and maybe think about how a 129-faceted cut will hold up over time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results