shape
carat
color
clarity

Standard prongs vs V prongs

markrule

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

just doing the final touches to my ring and have to decide on the prongs. I was getting good help from gypsy and co but my thread disappeared. I can choose between standard prongs and v prongs. just wondering if the v prongs are delicate enough and not too bulky! I have attached images of both. Please note that the v prong ring is a 1.2 carat while the standard is 1 carat. I will be going 1 carat in same style everything else in images for mine.

Vprong:
untitled_56.png
Standard
capture_33.png

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If done right, V prongs are not bulky. Who is doing your setting? I much prefer V prongs because they do not distract from
the shape of the stone.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tyty x2, plus you need the correct coverage of the pointed ends at the same time the engineering keeps the stone completely stable and secure.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the V prongs, and they look to be a lot more secure for a princess cut stone.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the V prongs better. They seem more stream lined and actually less bulky than regular prongs. I also think they are more secure since they cradle the corners completely.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
JDDN|1463528860|4032977 said:
I like the V prongs better. They seem more stream lined and actually less bulky than regular prongs. I also think they are more secure since they cradle the corners completely.

+1
Hey mate - with V claws, the corners sharp angles are better protected (when a princess breaks, 99% of the time it's on the corners). They also (in my opinion) give a nicer/more pleasant look to the overall piece - - but, like with anything else with jewellery, just be sure that whoever is doing the job does it correctly or they can look terrible and bulky :doh: --- make sure you emphasise that you want them to be fine.
Good luck

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
V prongs on a princess to protect those corners!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Specify "DELICATE" V-prongs to the vendor. Have them write it in the work order and specify that they have to send you pictures and wait for your approval before they ship it.

markrule

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the replies.

This is through James Allan. They said that this is as 'delicate' as they can go with the V prongs. The picture is an example of a recent order in a a larger stone (1.2 carats). Just hoping it doesn't look to bulky when reduced to a 1 carat...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's pretty good, but insist that they include "delicate" in the work order. And that they send you pics and wait for your approval before mailing.

markrule

Rough_Rock
I asked if they can go any more delicate and they said no. I also asked if I could have pictures before mailing and they said no to that as well as it will apparently delay order and 'take away from the 30 day return'? Here are some more photos (I believe in the 1.2 carat)

image_80.png
image_81.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs are fine. Regular prongs do not look good, in my opinion, and these protect your corners better.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
V prong for sure, it emphasizes the shape imo. I think the pics they provided of the v prongs look fine, don't look too bulky to me at all. Can't wait to see the finished product!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1463576032|4033181 said:
The prongs are fine. Regular prongs do not look good, in my opinion, and these protect your corners better.

I agree. The prongs look good -- remember those photos are super magnified, so they will be much more delicate IRL. :))

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the photo looks fine and agree that they will look more delicate in real life since those photos are magnified. But FWIW, I think that's lame-o of JA to say it will take away from the 30 day return and that they said no to photos of the finished product. I've seen too many examples of the finished product looking very different than their "glamour shot/example" and that is why I personally would want to see the finished product before they ship it out to you so you can compare to the photos you were given. Good to know how JA works with their customers.......

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1463582234|4033214 said:
I think the photo looks fine and agree that they will look more delicate in real life since those photos are magnified. But FWIW, I think that's lame-o of JA to say it will take away from the 30 day return and that they said no to photos of the finished product. I've seen too many examples of the finished product looking very different than their "glamour shot/example" and that is why I personally would want to see the finished product before they ship it out to you so you can compare to the photos you were given. Good to know how JA works with their customers.......
Given the fact that JA pays for return shipping, in addition to fully refunding the purchase price, I'm not going to criticize them for "forcing" (in a manner of speaking) the customer to see the ring for themselves in real life, rather than making a decision re the finished product on the basis of greatly magnified pics of the ring before it's sent out.

The glamour shots/videos in the settings listings are CAD-generated, JA doesn't make that clear -- nor do any of the other vendors who also post CAD-generated "photos", but at least JA offers that generous 30-day, totally free return & full refund.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone said:
JDDN|1463582234|4033214 said:

Given the fact that JA pays for return shipping, in addition to fully refunding the purchase price, I'm not going to criticize them for "forcing" (in a manner of speaking) the customer to see the ring for themselves in real life, rather than making a decision re the finished product on the basis of greatly magnified pics of the ring before it's sent out.

The glamour shots/videos in the settings listings are CAD-generated, JA doesn't make that clear -- nor do any of the other vendors who also post CAD-generated "photos", but at least JA offers that generous 30-day, totally free return & full refund.

You know, generally speaking I agree with you on your first paragraph. I've just seen too many examples where the shipped ring looks so poor compared to the glamour photos and even the real life previously purchased photos they list. So I feel this way specifically with JA in that their QC isn't always on top of things. It is a generous 30 day return policy which is laudable, but customers should be aware that having to return a ring to have the prongs reworked may curtail proposal plans.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think those JA V prongs look fine also. JA did my setting and I stressed fine claw prongs and they did them. No problem.
I think you should stress to them that you are picky about prongs and you want them done nicely or you'll have to return it. Have them make a note. Hopefully they will give it to the best bench they have.

markrule

Rough_Rock
All ordered now. Thanks for all the help!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Can't wait to see the finished product! [emoji322][emoji322]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results