shape
carat
color
clarity

Standard Practice in Diamond Searching?

Sulleee

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone!

So I have narrowed my diamond search down to 2 diamonds from a local dealer, both GIA certified. Now, they are a train ride away into NYC, but is it against common practice or courtesy to ask via e-mail (how we have communicated the times I was not in store) to ask for the GIA Cert #, and all the specs of both diamonds to compare them? I don't want to come off rude or overstepping my boundaries.

Additionally, I am curious how trustworthy/reputable JamesAllen.com is, and if there are any good places you recommend in the Diamond District in NYC? I'm looking for:

Pear
1 ct - 1.25 ct
H or better
VS2 or better

Budget for total completed ring is $7500 max, maybe a little leeway. Setting aside about $1800 for a custom, Platinum setting with Halo and stones halfway down band (modeled exactly as Tiffany Soleste setting). If anyone can help or has advice on this portion as well, that would be great!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen is totally reputable, but they don't have all the stones you see listed online in NYC. Many are with cutters in other countries. You'd probably have to ask about specific stones and whether they have them in their NY office and then make an appointment to see them. Or do like most of us and choose the two best ones to be sent to you and then return the one you don't want to keep.

How have you narrowed down to two diamonds if you don't know the specs? Did you see them in person? Some vendors may not give you the report numbers because they know you may find the same stone listed for less on other vendors sites. But I would certainly expect to be told all the information from the report and especially about the inclusions if the stones are SI clarity. I'd never buy without seeing the full report.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget for the setting is too low. Expect about $3k for custom platinum halo.

Sulleee

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1455137170|3989472 said:
James Allen is totally reputable, but they don't have all the stones you see listed online in NYC. Many are with cutters in other countries. You'd probably have to ask about specific stones and whether they have them in their NY office and then make an appointment to see them. Or do like most of us and choose the two best ones to be sent to you and then return the one you don't want to keep.

How have you narrowed down to two diamonds if you don't know the specs? Did you see them in person? Some vendors may not give you the report numbers because they know you may find the same stone listed for less on other vendors sites. But I would certainly expect to be told all the information from the report and especially about the inclusions if the stones are SI clarity. I'd never buy without seeing the full report.

Thank you for the response!
So, I saw the 2 stones in person. I saw the GIA certificates briefly, but didn't take a copy or a photo of the certificate at the time. I was looking in person though, at a vendor. I just had some information written down such as the ct weight, color, clarity, and such that I had listed.

As for the setting, that quote was what was given to me by the vendor for the work and material and such. They said that's what the setting would cost me, so that is why I was working around that number. Sorry, I should have mentioned that portion in my original post

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results