shape
carat
color
clarity

SS Mint Green Garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
As promised this will be the first thread sharing pics of my collection.

I thought that since I started by showing vendor pics and comparing to "at home" photography, that I''d continue along that same vein. My sense is that the key to not being disappointed in a gem that is shipped to you is obviously first dealing with honest vendors and equally important is clear communication as to what color... hue/saturation/tone and cut performance one is seeking. One lesson I learned from buying Mint garnets online is that the verbal discription was far more accurate than the advertised photos. Now on with the pics :)

First off is a "quad" cut (barion/scissor) mint:
1.61 cts
7.5x5.5 mm

and the description was "The color of this stone is mint medium green through and through; and has no zoning or banding in it
whatsoever! The photo does not show the true beauty of this stone! The color balance in this stone is
perfect! The entire stone is MINT Medium Green however the photo does not show it!
7.gif
"

quadmintvendor.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
and here is my take on the stone, I was VERY pleased to say the least when I opened the box :)

minty3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice mint garnet! Looking forward to more pics of your collection, including that super neon red stone in your avitar there!!
30.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fantastic color ! look at that close up... great pictures

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for starting a thread on your collection. Do you mind sharing the lighting setup for the second close up picture? It''ll be good for us to learn how to take better and accurate (and close up) pictures.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks TL :) From one neon connoisseur to another it means alot.

Next up is the "designer" cut oval/cushion stone.

1.35 cts
7.7 x 5.9 mm

Described as "FAR better than the photos! Eye-popping electric blue-green Merelani Mint garnet cut to perfect angles! Bright, rich, open color tone allows the stone to glow in even the most minimal light - as if it has its own light source. Optimal faceting grants unbelievable scintillation & tilt brilliance no matter what the viewing angle. Something completely absent from the photos, however, is a demonstration of its dispersion -- this thing really breaks up light! Sunlight is returned in the same rainbow sparkles usually associated with diamond. A very beautiful stone, and almost impossible to find in this quality. This stone represents the best of the best from these now depleted deposits. It has always been scarce, but is now virtually unobtainable. Straight from my private "not for sale" collection, I''m liquidating a few pieces to generate quick cash. If you''ve looked, you know how hard it is to find a stone comparable to this one! Right now, I believe this is the only one on ebay... The color doesn''t get better -- a saturated, slightly bluish pastel green with a very "electric" quality. No yellow secondary at all. Clarity is VVS or better. The combination of size, color, clarity, and cutting is exceedingly rare.

NOTE: All green garnets are becoming phenomenally expensive and almost impossible to obtain except in very small sizes. Larger stones are not generally available and rough that will cut a carat or above in finished sizes is just not common. Also this material is usually included in some way, often bubbles and/or silk. It is difficult to get clean material... THIS STONE IS CLEAN!!!"

This was a VERY complete description and coupled with the pictures made it impossible for me to resist. Here is a composite of what the vendor had photographed.

designerovalvendor.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
and the SS version...
myminty01.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono,

So those particular pics were taken in my office with bright overhead fluorescent lights. To get the stones in a secure yet versatile position I used the stone claw/holder. In order to get rid of the head obscuration for lack of a spherical light diffuser with photo setup, I use a modified "hearts and arrows" viewer which essentially is a white card with a hole in it that you peek through. You might try getting a piece of white typing paper, cutting a hole the size of your lens and basically taking your macro shots with the paper fitted over the lens. I use a Fuji Finepix F30 for my pics, not too fancy but with a steady hand and some luck I was able to get those pics. Hope this helps.

-SS

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
last but not least... the trillion

2.13 cts
8 x 7.9 x 5 mm
described as "Spectacular natural Grossular garnet... Plenty of fire and brilliance with a very unusual crisp green color. Natural and untreated ..."

trilmintcompvendor.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
and two last pictures showing more than one stone at a time
17.gif

myminty3.jpg

minty1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
Thank you so much for your wonderful pictures. We have so few good pictures of Merelani mint garnets not just here on PS, but on the net. This is really great, and your stones are wonderful.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are gorgeous. I love the color.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words and compliments. Gem photography is something of a hobby for me... after getting the stones in my hands of course
31.gif

I hope the information and pictures in this thread can be a useful reference for others seeking the fresh cool mint green garnets that I quite love.

I'll have to dig through my records to find the "before and after" pics of my other stones... I guess that is what the weekend is for
10.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Love the color!!!!!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
They are really lovely and good work on the photos and editing work. Thanks for sharing it with everyone.
My favourite is the first stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely!

It''s a shame these are so hard to find.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW I love your photos. Makes me want to buy these stones!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love the pictures, specially the designer one. Fancy shapes really tickle my fancy
3.gif

I am also a fan of sleepy, glowing stones

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Those are beyond gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing! I can hardly wait to see more of your collection.
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh I love those stones...they look so REFRESHING!!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
They are gorgeous and you take such sharp, good photos of them!

MrsDoubleP

Shiny_Rock
W
30.gif
W, I''m really growing to love these mint green stones! You take incredible photos, too.

Will you start a thread about the stone in your avatar, pretty please?
3.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Princessplease, Lovinggems, MakingTheGrade, Stone Hunter, Lady_Disdain, brandy_z28, TravelingGal, simplysplendid, MrsDoubleP and to anyone I may have inadvertantly left out...

THANKS for your kind words, they are appreciated. In the "real world" there aren''t as many people who seem to be able to enjoy the finer points of gem cuts and color, much less how DIFFICULT it can be to capture their beauty with a camera.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Sleepy is where it''s at, except when its crystal clear sparkles... Each stone seems to have its own set of light conditions where they shine best :)

May I ask what has become of your sleepy manhenge spinel, its quite beautiful and I''ve always wondered what mine would look like with a more precision facet pattern. I''d def like to see more pics of your sibling stone
10.gif

Date: 5/29/2009 12:04:09 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I love the pictures, specially the designer one. Fancy shapes really tickle my fancy
3.gif

I am also a fan of sleepy, glowing stones

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
After your many entreaties, I am working on the spinel thread... stay tuned for the show... or is that glow
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
sleepy- What a collection you have! I am so in love with your minty greens
30.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks alot icekid :)

I think we have similar tastes as far as color choices go. Your sapphire is pretty much my favorite type of blue... and I am trying rather hard to get a range of spessies, hopefully one similar to yours!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so sorry I could not post last night. My internet connection was giving me fits.
39.gif
I couldn''t even get to PS.

SS,
I''m enjoying all the eye candy - the clarity of colour and detail, and of course, the gems themselves.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Glad you could join in. I am sure we''ll all have more to chat about in the future. Though as my buying will have to slow a bit, I an happy to help you all grow your collections... if I can''t spend mine, spending other people''s money isnt a bad surrogate hehe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results