shape
carat
color
clarity

Squarish cushion cuts

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Dear fellow PSers, would love to see your beautiful squarish or nearly squarish cushion cut stones:)

Thanks for sharing in advance~ Anything welcomed!
1) Your own stone~
2) Someone else’ gem
3) IG posts
4) Gem design pic/ plan (I don’t know how to call it) if you’re a cutter or have acccess to it

Etc. etc.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear fellow PSers, would love to see your beautiful squarish or nearly squarish cushion cut stones

Not sure if this fulfills the criteria but this is spouse's (now-retired) sapphire ring that she wore daily for a decade until she lost a prong. Our jeweler was appalled by the heavy abrasions and "made" us polish it (with some wt loss, and rounding the outline a bit) and made too-fat shoulder pads in the form of new prongs. She loves (loved) this ring but is afraid to wear it now after being reminded how it had survived 100+ years in great shape until it got to her... :confused2:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.37.36 PM.png

P.S. Some (most?) of your examples are octagons and not square cushions. I love very rectangular (i.e., less oval-y) cushions.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this fulfills the criteria but this is spouse's (now-retired) sapphire ring that she wore daily for a decade until she lost a prong. Our jeweler was appalled by the heavy abrasions and "made" us polish it (with some wt loss, and rounding the outline a bit) and made too-fat shoulder pads in the form of new prongs. She loves (loved) this ring but is afraid to wear it now after being reminded how it had survived 100+ years in great shape until it got to her... :confused2:

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.37.36 PM.png

P.S. Some (most?) of your examples are octagons and not square cushions. I love very rectangular (i.e., less oval-y) cushions.

Yes, not all of my examples are precisely "Squarish", I intended to include everything either chubby or slightly rectangular, be it with more rounded / cushion like outline or angular shapes^^

And your spouse's sapphire looks nice:) I think one good thing about sapphires and other CS is recut and repolish sounds more feasible and comes with lower cost, as long as the gem is clean enough. Your sapphire was just reborn after the surgery! I do share and understand your spouse's worry about the abrasion she's been able to allow the gem:P2 My wife is also rough on jewelry, that leaves me not much choice of stone for ring!

Last edited:

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Quite a number of you own red / pink spinel...! beautiful gem..!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s a one I just cut, in a design I’m working on meant to resemble a historic cushion cut. This is in synthetic Djeva sapphire, and I managed to get the color zoning in a really interesting location!

36C8EB27-BD43-466C-B197-CBB6BB8F5B80.jpeg

Beautiful cut!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine from Jeff W, blue Zircon and pink Spinel in matching square cushion cut:

Zircon and spinels after.jpg

And this one is mine too, a Baringo Ruby as in a Pink Sapphire:

Balingo Ruby Pink Sapphire 0.60ct 4.70 x 4.70mm.png

DK :))

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
710CB791-96A0-423A-9790-B772FD21597E.jpeg 4648045A-48DF-4A5B-A6F2-E916EE2EDF24.jpeg
Chunky yet precise facets. Much like an OEC in a angular squarish cushion shape. It’s also a high crown stone, so the side view of it is very pleasant! Would lighter tone stones more suitable for such cut in order to show the sparkle and dispersion?

A73B4890-D430-4688-8848-77B85AC91ABE.jpeg A4811705-D099-4EBA-8B58-C4F8EF000268.jpeg
I see a French button crown similar to Gene’s cut, with a slightly different outline. Do you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results