shape
carat
color
clarity

square radiant advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinebud

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I''m looking for a square-shaped radiant diamond and am seeking some advice. I found this diamond and would like to get some feedback on if it''s a good deal....or a scam! Here are the specs:

GIA report
1-carat
I color
SI2 clarity
"good" cut
measurements: 5.74X5.35X3.52
65.8% depth
75% table
girdle: M-VTHK
polish: VG
symmetry: G
culet: NON
asking price: $2000

I''m new to this so I''d love some help here! I''ve noticed that many square-shaped radiant diamonds are significantly cheaper than thier more rectangular counterparts. Is this normal? Why might that be?

THANKS!!!

Pinebud
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is definitely not a stone to be bought witout furher inquiry and/or a good return policy. SI2 could be far enough from eye-clean; some would say table should be smaller... but really, clarity may play a bad trick on you. Square rads shouldn't be cheaper than the others, but in a small sample anything can happen, I guess...

pinebud

Rough_Rock
I've been told it is "eye-clean"...although I geuss that can be a fairly subjective judgement.

Should the fact that it is GIA certified give me more confidence in this diamond?

Pinebud

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Pinebud, if you need some guidance on square or "box radiants", let me know I have spreadsheets full of them and their numbers, but I warn you, it's tricky stone...I'll try and help you find a great stone for the money, let me know your budget, your look and the things you "need" or want in your stone....If your not sure, read up in the Pricescope Fancy Cuts Section.

Visit www.radiantcut.com for history and cut info, and mostly SEE the stone. See good ones, bad ones and everything else you can get your hands on... Make the AGA Emeralds/Radiants AGA Chart be your standard for cuts in numbers, but then see the stones and decide for yourself... Good luck and GOD BLESS!

pinebud

Rough_Rock
I would love to hear about your "box radiants". Why do you think it is a tricky stone to buy?

Pinebud

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
It's a tricky stone because it is hard to find a true square shape in this cut. Most of the "properly cut" stones are longer, and NEVER square...see the AGA charts on Radiants and Emeralds for some percent guidelines. Thanks so much David Atlas!!! First, the "box Radiant" is a fancy shape, which many jewelers carry with trepidation. They know little about real fancy cuts, like Lucere, Queen of Hearts, Flanders, etc. Chances are if they don't carry it, they don't know it. They can misinform you by accident. Worse yet, they can try to redirect your eye to a stone they DO carry...if that's ok, go for it, but if you know what you want, it's frustrating!

Also being a fancy stone, it does not have true set guides or parameters for a "ideal cut" like a round stone. A round stone has become percise and calculated, as the fancies still lag behind their rotund brother. GIA will be certifying cut with more precision, which should help out the fancy market, but as of now AGS is the only "cut intensive" grading system. And even they are not known for fancies...

So, it's a tough stone to find, it's still shrounded in mystery, mathematically speaking, where the angles and numbers can't always tell you how good it is. You have to rely on face-to-face analysis most of the time.

For instance: I saw an "AWFUL" stone with a HUGE table. (aka Aircraft Carriers), as a jeweler called it. But damned if it wasn't the most brilliant stone of them all! Add to the fact it's color, possible florescence, which tends to "whiten" a diamond (even if it's a G or F or E). I put to GIA certified F's together and the medium blue florescent one was whiter looking...go figure. So many factors to consider!

All in all, there seems to be no set rules on these, and best guesses and guidelines are the best you'll get. If you want to get fancy, then so does your research. OR you could go to Tiffany's Drop $22K on an H, 1.5 Lucida and be done with it. But my guess is if you are at PriceScope already, you have discerning taste and need the research and know-how to get there...Patience, time and a whole lot of postings....
2.gif
These people are great and the advice is so helpfull. You're in good hands.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results