shape
carat
color
clarity

Square hearts and arrows vs princess of hearts

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I have been lurking ever since BF took me to look at rings last month :cheeky: and I see that most of you on PS discuss diamonds purchased online, but I have a question about a diamond I saw at Helzberg that I don't really feel like has been discussed at length on PS. Helzberg has a diamond masterpiece collection, which are branded(?) hearts and arrows diamonds that come in cut-cornered square and round. I read that these diamonds are usually overpriced for the clarity and color and are not necessarily true H&A as advertised. Websites like GOG provide H&A pictures, but Helzberg does not :( but Helzberg does offer 12 months financing at 0%, which BF would need to get a ring at this price. We also like the fact that we saw the diamond in person and the store is 5 minutes away from home for cleaning and what not. GOG is like a 9 hour drive away.

I have always thought of myself as a square diamond kind of girl and I love the fact that the square H&A cut sparkles like a round. The diamond I am in love with at Helzberg is the square H&A, AGS graded, ideal cut Polish - 0, Symmetry - 0, Color E, SI1 (eye clean) at 0.73 carat. I did not get the AGS # from them as when I went to the store I knew a lot less then I do now from all I read on PS after the fact! But that said it's possible I may be off on the specs (if I am it could be that the carat is 0.72 or 0.74, but I'm positive that the color was E and that the clarity was not worse than SI1)....Anyway the specs are better than what you get if you buy online as the carat weight could range from 0.71-0.79 and they say color G or H and SI1. I love the fact that the diamond is almost white and it was definitely eye clean.

This is the Helzberg ring $4999:
http://www.helzberg.com/product/3-4ct+tw+diamond+engagement+ring+1761898.do?keyword=mondrian&sortby=newArrivals

GOG has a Princess of Hearts that is similar $4012 + x-prong 18K setting which IDK the cost:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8365/

I don't know how much an 18K x-prong setting is at GOG, but the prices for both rings are within a couple hundred dollars is my guess

That said, my question is that does anyone know if Helzberg has well cut optical symmetry? Can I trust that it would be a true H&A like the advertisement or do you think I am running the risk of it not being true H&A? Please note it is NOT the princess cut that they are having a lawsuit over. I think they put a princess cut diamond in the masterpiece set and someone else confused it with H&A, but the one I looked at was definitely H&A cut.

Regardless, the diamond is VERY beautiful. I would love it no matter what, even if we overpaid for something that is not true H&A. I'm just wondering if the PS'rs think it's worth the money if we are running the risk that the optical symmetry is not that good. I am sure that BF has already purchased the Helzberg diamond, but we have 60 days from purchase to take it back if we think that we made a bad choice. I have talked to BF about the H&A not necessarily being optically symmetrical, but he is happy with his purchase, so it's possible he may not even be open to buying elsewhere even if I am advised that the price is not worth it. He is so set on me being surprised and not seeing the ring until he proposes that he wants me to stop obsessing and he won't give me the AGS# haha :lol: . I'm finding it hard to stop obsessing until it happens ;-) From the specs and comparing price at GOG it seems like we did okay, but I am worried. If anyone has information can you please help! Thank you!!!!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Really since diamond prices have gone up I really don't think you would get much more for the price.

Ex. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8365/
Plus you would have to buy the solitaire

It is AGS graded so I would trust that it is an ideal cut. It sounds like you told your BF what you wanted , and he has probably gone through a lot of effort to get you what you want, so I say just be happy with it. Don't worry about if the diamond is perfect, there is no such animal, you will love it because it is from him, enjoy it :twirl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Was the price $4999 with an E color SI1 diamond? the website states

Center Stone Carat Weight: 3/4ct .70-.79
Center Diamond Clarity: SI
Center Diamond Color: H-I

OK I just read you said it was different than what is stated above.

Anyway, I would be fine buying from Helzberg or any jeweler with an AGS report. Is the financing interest-free?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGS grading is ver strict and it is widely trusted. I wouldn't have a problem buying an AGS stone from a store chain.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock
is the stone already mounted? AGS does not grade H&A so if it is already mounted no way to tell if it is H&A or not. however, you do not need H&A to have a beautiful diamond.

if it is not mounted, ask to see through a hearts viewer.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately it is already mounted. The fact that it is already mounted is what started me freaking out in the first place. Going in to the store I thought ideal cut meant that they were true hearts and arrows. Reading online I'm finding that even if it's ideal cut you can't actually know if the hearts and arrows are good unless you view them through a scope. I thought that maybe it was mounted to cover up the fact that the hearts might not look good... :errrr:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
that may just be the way Helzberg operates, only selling mounted stones. you have to decide whether or not that is acceptable to you. There is nothing 'wrong' with a diamond that is not a true H&A. yours may be but we just can't determine since it is mounted. If it gets AGS ideal for cut and you like it then I am sure it will be a beautiful diamond.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think a stone with similar specs to mine would still be worth the same amount if it did not have H&A symmetry?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results