shape
carat
color
clarity

Square Cut Emearld

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njchoochoo

Rough_Rock
I need some assistance. I was out looking at the maul stores to get an idea of ring prices and the like. I walked into one store, and was shown a square cut emearld. Face up it looked like a normal emerald cut. However, it was not nearly as...deep...for lack of a better word. It looked like the bottom of the emerald was cut off. Being a novice, I guess it didn''t have as many facets? I was also told it is "not" an asscher cut. As we are looking together for idea purposes, the future ring receiver liked the cut. This is the first I''ve heard of this stone. Any comments, concerns, etc..etc? Unfortunately, since this was just a look and see expedition, I didn''t get any measurements. My thanks in advance for your replies.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a mysterious description... From this side, it could mean either that you saw #1) one of those not-so-nice cuts with an extremely flat table (so from the side the object looks like a pyramid pointing down) or #2) a "table cut" with a flat surface parallel with the table instead of a "tip". Both stones are weird, below standard variations of what an square emerald should be.

Just for reference, there are some standards devised for this cut (corresponding to what the industry considers a great cut, and looks great actually). The whole story and instructions for reading these standards can be found behind the "Fancy Shapes" link on the first page here. These are not Pricescope's concoction, and quite clearly stated so.

Also, some sellers specialize in offering these stones and you could find some alternatives to consider. One such place is Niceice - surely worse browsing for the optical analysis of the square emeralds posted there. It is a good lesson for the next shopping trip, even if you do not end up buying online at all.

My 0,2, of course...

njchoochoo

Rough_Rock
It sounds like I saw a table cut, based on your description. I will check out the niceice site. Thanks for your reply.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It looks like you saw one of those terrible make overly shallow square emeralds, with very large tables, thin crowns and shallow depths. Did it have a certificate with some cut info?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 2/8/2004 2:05:49 PM njchoochoo wrote:

It sounds like I saw a table cut, based on your description. I will check out the niceice site. Thanks for your reply.----------------

He he! If it was one, who sells these ? I LOVE them dearly and these got few and far between during the last couple of centuries, sparkless as they are
4.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe is was a baguette (though I've not seen these offered loose very often).

njchoochoo

Rough_Rock
The ring was for sale at Bailey, Banks, and Biddle. I didn't ask for the pertinent info, mistakenly, since this was just a look and see mission. I will tell you that the diamond looked very nice, sparkle and all. If I remember correctly, the sotne was a VS2, F color, about 1.15 ct. The setting had sidestones, and the price for the ring was about 12k. This is all from memory, FWIW, and I know that it's not enough for the knowledgeable here to comment too much on. I was also told that "not all the stores carry this ring", blah, blah, blah. I will probably see if a store closer to me (I was out of my state when I saw this) has it, and try to get some specifics. Would a jeweler, or retail chain, give out the pertinent info over the phone?

Thanks again.

roshita

Rough_Rock
The cut of the stone will define how nice it will look. You will need to get more information on the cut (measurements, proportions, and angles of the stone). There are tools to help assessing how much light return or light leakage any particular stone will have if you have the info. Take your time, get the necessary information and the forum members here will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results