shape
carat
color
clarity

spring fragrances

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
hello all!
I know there are some experts on this forum in regards to pefume! I am looking for a spring fragrance, preferably one available at Bloomingdale''s as I have a gift card there and want to use it.
A little background - my winter fragrance is Burberry London. Love it, but kind of heavy for spring and summer. I also like Gap Dream and most of the Philosophy line (although no staying power on me).
Recently I got Elizabeth Arden Pretty, which smells awesome when I first put it on, but the drydown is spicy or something on me and it smells completely different an hour or two later, which is disappointing. Lesson learned that I need to spray something then wait an hour or two to see how the fragrance changes before I purchase it.
I recently tried Marc Jacobs Daisy, and it wasn''t offensive, but not really great on me. Therry Mugler (sp?) Angel was not my style at all. Britney Spears fantasy forget it. These are a few that I tried the other day in the store.
I would prefer something clean smelling, maybe a bit flowery (but not overwhelming flowery), really prefer more clean smelling I guess than anything. Any ideas I can try when I go to the mall? I will be spraying Omnia Crystalling for sure and trying that one out.
thank you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2009 11:26:00 AM
Author:diamondsrock
hello all!
I know there are some experts on this forum in regards to pefume! I am looking for a spring fragrance, preferably one available at Bloomingdale's as I have a gift card there and want to use it.
A little background - my winter fragrance is Burberry London. Love it, but kind of heavy for spring and summer. I also like Gap Dream and most of the Philosophy line (although no staying power on me).
Recently I got Elizabeth Arden Pretty, which smells awesome when I first put it on, but the drydown is spicy or something on me and it smells completely different an hour or two later, which is disappointing. Lesson learned that I need to spray something then wait an hour or two to see how the fragrance changes before I purchase it.
I recently tried Marc Jacobs Daisy, and it wasn't offensive, but not really great on me. Therry Mugler (sp?) Angel was not my style at all. Britney Spears fantasy forget it. These are a few that I tried the other day in the store.
I would prefer something clean smelling, maybe a bit flowery (but not overwhelming flowery), really prefer more clean smelling I guess than anything. Any ideas I can try when I go to the mall? I will be spraying Omnia Crystalling for sure and trying that one out.
thank you!
* rubs hands* here are some of my suggestions!

Diorissimo by Christian Dior, floral, lily of the valley and jasmine

Diorella by Christian Dior - floral citrus, bergamot, jasmine, rose

Kelly Caleche by Hermes, floral leather

Caleche Eau Delicat by Hermes, a twist on the classic Caleche

Eau de Merveilles by Hermes - marine, faint leather

Cristalle by Chanel, green citrus

Chanel No 19, green, faintly leathery

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel, floral patchouli, faintly citrus

Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf, patchouli and floral

Fleurissimo by Creed, classic floral

Spring Flowers by Creed - self explanatory!

I don't know what brands Bloomies carry specifically but it is a fair bet you could find most of the above!~

Here are some tips on trying perfumes. If you can, carry some coffee beans with you. It sounds crazy but sniffing these can help reset the scent receptors in the nasal passages, if you test many fragrances at one time then it is very difficult for your nose to appreciate the nuances of each, so the coffee beans are very useful. Try 3 fragrances then use the beans!

Also test fragrance on the skin, not on a scent strip to see how a fragrance reacts with your chemistry. Fragrance is composed of top, middle and bottom notes which take some time to develop. When you first apply the top notes are what you can smell, after a few minutes these dry down to the heart or middle notes, then lastly the base notes which are what stay with you. So give each fragrance about an hour on the skin in order for it to develop properly, that way you can tell if it is suitable for you or not.

www.bloomingdales.com I will just take a look and see what they have online.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Diorissimo is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Bloomingdale''s doesn''t have it, but they do have J''adore which I also like. I wear Coco Mademoiselle and I also liked Flowerbomb, but I never purchased it. But I tend to gravitate towards the florals. I recently tried Marc Jacobs Daisy too, and it didn''t do much for me.

Have you tried reading the perfume reviews on sites like nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com? It''s not a substitute for skin testing, but it might help narrow down the field before you make a trip to the mall.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another suggestion if you have a Chanel boutique near you, try Chanel No 22 which is a classic and very suitable for spring. This fragrance is very powdery and aldehydic, but dries down to a very addictive incense base. It is one of Les Exclusifs range and is only available from Chanel boutiques.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I love Guerlain''s Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic :

"The name of this lush scent alone brings the promise of freshness. As she goes out to meet her new destiny, Mandarine brings along an entourage of the most sparkling notes of honor: clementine and blood orange add their joyful accents to a cocktail of fresh citrus fruits and a garland of white flowers set in a ribbon of ivy. Basil then mingles with bursts of spice and anise seed notes, soothed with warm, enveloping green tea and finished with transparent amber and the purity of noble woods.

Notes:
Orange Blossom, White Peony, Green Tea, Ivy, Roman Chamomile, Mandarin, Basil, Amber, Sandalwood.
Style:
Sparkling. Radiant. Luminous."

Every time I smell it it makes me happy.

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Are the latest Aqua Allegorias out yet?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually like the DKNY Be Delicious... I have many cold weather fragrances, but Ijust prefer to have body sprays for when it''s warm.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flora (a new one from Gucci) is a beautiful light floral. I love it.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions! I had no idea the world of perfume was so complex.

I have made lists of them and will be trying them out soon. I would have totally overlooked most of these, especially Chanel. Julie, I actually did try that DKNY one yesterday when I was at Kohl''s and it kind of grew on me. I couldn''t quite explain it, it wasn''t flowery or fruity. Unique. Was definately a summer type fragrance I think.

I''m really getting into this pefume thing now. A new obsession I think!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 2:46:21 PM
Author: Honey228
Diorissimo is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Bloomingdale''s doesn''t have it, but they do have J''adore which I also like. I wear Coco Mademoiselle and I also liked Flowerbomb, but I never purchased it. But I tend to gravitate towards the florals. I recently tried Marc Jacobs Daisy too, and it didn''t do much for me.

Have you tried reading the perfume reviews on sites like nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com? It''s not a substitute for skin testing, but it might help narrow down the field before you make a trip to the mall.
thanks for the website. I have been reading makeupalley reviews but have enjoyed this website a lot.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Sugar Lemon by Fresh...yum.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The original Marc Jacobs and MIcheal Kors. Also Jo Malone Grapefruit and French Lime Blossom. Chanel #5 Premiere.

cheers--Sharon

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Sharon on the Jo Malone French Lime Blossom - its one of my favorites, very light and fresh and yummy for Spring
9.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 3:11:32 AM
Author: JulieN
I actually like the DKNY Be Delicious... I have many cold weather fragrances, but Ijust prefer to have body sprays for when it''s warm.

This is the green apple one, right? I was going to suggest that. I also mostly use body spray in the summer so the scent isn''t too heavy.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 2:46:21 PM
Author: Honey228

I used to wear Diorissimo exclusively many years ago and totally forgot about it, until it was mentioned in this thread. I later used Calyx, by Prescriptives, but only a tiny bit because it can be somehat strong.Nowadays, I just use body sprays like cucumber melon, because it is subtler than most perfumes or colognes and find I like them better in the warmer months. But now I want to go and buy Diorissimo again.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
well I am intrigued by the Dorissimo fragrance but can''t find it locally to try it. Is it one of those hard to find fragrances? I would really like to sample it.

I did try a bunch the other day. I am totally confused now! I thought for sure Cristalle would be something I would like but when I sprayed it I was overwhelmed with a smoky ashtray smell. Granted, I didn''t even put it on, this was on the paper card. Is there something wrong with my nose? I couldn''t smell anything clear, crisp about it. I''ve read reviews that say it''s great and I was shocked when I smelled it. I have to at least like the opening scent to try it on my skin and this one just was so off the mark for me.

Is it possible one person can smell one thing in a perfume and another can smell something totally different? How could it smell like an ashtray to me and someone else smells spring????
emcrook.gif

Coco Mademoiselle was nice. I wore that one home, but it was very strong on me. Which is a good thing for lasting power but I don''t want something overwhelming, especially at work.

The search continues! I never thought it would be so hard to find a higher end fragrance that I like.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:34:53 AM
Author: diamondsrock
well I am intrigued by the Dorissimo fragrance but can't find it locally to try it. Is it one of those hard to find fragrances? I would really like to sample it.

I did try a bunch the other day. I am totally confused now! I thought for sure Cristalle would be something I would like but when I sprayed it I was overwhelmed with a smoky ashtray smell. Granted, I didn't even put it on, this was on the paper card. Is there something wrong with my nose? I couldn't smell anything clear, crisp about it. I've read reviews that say it's great and I was shocked when I smelled it. I have to at least like the opening scent to try it on my skin and this one just was so off the mark for me.

Is it possible one person can smell one thing in a perfume and another can smell something totally different? How could it smell like an ashtray to me and someone else smells spring????
emcrook.gif

Coco Mademoiselle was nice. I wore that one home, but it was very strong on me. Which is a good thing for lasting power but I don't want something overwhelming, especially at work.

The search continues! I never thought it would be so hard to find a higher end fragrance that I like.
Yes this is normal - different people can interpret fragrances in very different ways, also try the Cristalle on your skin next time to see how it develops on you, what you were smelling were the top notes which evaporate anyway in a few minutes, let the fragrance develop on you to see how it works with your skin chemistry.

Diorissimo should be available somewhere, it is one of the more obscure Diors so it might not be displayed but a CD counter should have it, also you could try this website

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Products/Dior-Diorissimo__CDDIORISSIMOEDTPG.aspx

Yes they do have it available, click above.

They run a sample service so you could order a sample to try it out.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
thank you lorelei! I was hoping you''d respond. You seem very knowledgeable about perfumes! A perfumista!

What perfumes do you personally wear?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 11:54:15 AM
Author: diamondsrock
thank you lorelei! I was hoping you'd respond. You seem very knowledgeable about perfumes! A perfumista!

What perfumes do you personally wear?
Glad to help!

Yes, perfumes are another of my interests and I am a perfumista!
9.gif

Lets see.....I probably have around 70 bottles of perfume
6.gif
, but my faves are-

Teint de Neige by Lorenzo Villoresi - very soft, powdery almond.

Tabac Blond by Caron - as the name suggests, tobacco and woods, this perfume was created by Caron in 1919 to smell like the opium laced cigarettes soldiers were bringing back from France apparently. A beautiful and very unique perfume.

Chanel No 22 - another oldie, smells like powdery incense. I like powdery perfumes!

Chanel No 5 - I use the EDP or parfum

Frederick Malle Lipstick Rose - smells like a waxy red lipstick

Hermes Caleche - very fresh and astringent - classic aldehyde

Hermes 24 Faubourge - strong jasmine floral.

There were others I loved over the years but due to reformulation issues
14.gif
, many are a shadow of their former glory....

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei: I think I want to try that Hermes 24 Faubourge, because I love the smell of jasmine!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2009 2:56:42 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
I love Guerlain''s Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic :

''The name of this lush scent alone brings the promise of freshness. As she goes out to meet her new destiny, Mandarine brings along an entourage of the most sparkling notes of honor: clementine and blood orange add their joyful accents to a cocktail of fresh citrus fruits and a garland of white flowers set in a ribbon of ivy. Basil then mingles with bursts of spice and anise seed notes, soothed with warm, enveloping green tea and finished with transparent amber and the purity of noble woods.

Notes:

Orange Blossom, White Peony, Green Tea, Ivy, Roman Chamomile, Mandarin, Basil, Amber, Sandalwood.

Style:

Sparkling. Radiant. Luminous.''

Every time I smell it it makes me happy.

Oooh, this sounds AMAZING!!

I''m such a Bond No. 9 girl and I just bought a new bottle (only to discover that I can''t wear fragrance at the office! Grrr). I wear New York Fling which I find to be really light and airy, not sweet or cloying, but fresh and floral. Like nice soap. I also love Estee Lauder Pleasures for Spring and Bobbi Brown Beach (which smells like sun tan lotion) for summer.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how I love spring!!! I have so many perfumes/colognes, but I wear them based on the season/weather, etc! So, I love to break out my warmer weather fragrances at this time of year!!!! Here are some of my faves for spring:

"White" - by Sephora (the store). I dont even know if they still make this b/c I bought a bottle a few yrs ago, but I love it and hope they do since Im going to need another bottle soon!

"Sea Envy"- by La Prairie- this smells so wonderfully fresh- I love it!!!

"Heavenly"- by Victoria's Secret

"Orange Blossom"- by Jo Malone. Actually, anything by Jo Malone is wonderful. Her scents are so light and fresh and stay on forever. That's mostly what I'm wearing these days.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 8:28:53 PM
Author: soocool
Lorelei: I think I want to try that Hermes 24 Faubourge, because I love the smell of jasmine!
It really is a beautiful fragrance, see if you can try it! Jasmine is the dominating note in this perfume so I bet you would like it! It also has orange blossom in it, Dani reminded me
9.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 1:59:05 PM
Author: Lorelei

This is the one I wear soocool, the edp version

http://www.amazon.com/Faubourg-Hermes-Women-Parfum-Spray/dp/B0002JB4CC
Lorelei: Amazon is out of stock, but I found it at drugstore.com for $29.99 ( I also get another 10% off if I go drugstore.com through Discovercard shopping) http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189928&catid=130359

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 4:59:09 PM

Lorelei: Amazon is out of stock, but I found it at drugstore.com for $29.99 ( I also get another 10% off if I go drugstore.com through Discovercard shopping) http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=189928&catid=130359
It looks like if you scroll down Amazon still sells it but in a different size.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondrocks,

here are some you might like? Do you have a Sephora you could go and try some on? They also will give you little testers to take with you.

Dolce and Gabbana''s Light Blue - very clean and fesh smelling very light not overpowering

DKNY''s Be Delicious Fresh Blossom - floral light and clean, maybe a tiny bit too sweet if you put too much on.

Fresh''s Pomegranate Anise - I love this one; it smells like grapefruit to me and super clean.

Bath and Body Works, has a few good scents, I really liked Rainkissed Leaves (smells green and clean)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2009 4:59:09 PM

WOO HOO!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
When you get it, it is very strong at first, so give it a while to settle on your skin, it is powerful initially but smells delightful!

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
I love Issay Miyake..she is FABULOUS!!

Her perfume is light and springy and crisp...love her and check her out...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Two words: Tocca, Florence. I am
30.gif
. mmmmmm

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results