shape
carat
color
clarity

Spring cut down under

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have just recieved some sets of Spring Cuts for 3 stone rings and sold one set to the first client who say them.

They could not make up their mind between princess cut and emerald cut - so the spring cut was a perfect compromise.
Although compromise is not a term that I would use - these are beautiful stones.

I will post a pic of the finished ring next week.

Sierra Nevada

Rough_Rock
So what do you think about their fire, brilliance and scintillation as compared to other rectangular/square cuts like princess, flanders, radiant, emerald, asscher? Do they have a 'chunkier' fire because of the broader faceting like old cuts do?

I am curious about them, but I'm still getting used to their slightly different look and can't decide if I like them or not yet. The harlequin look of the facets in the pictures is very unusual, but I'm not sure if it looks like that in real life.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think they are the optimum stone for someone who wants an emerald cut outline but also wants more B,F and S.
They leave radiants for dead, and have bold scintilation rather than the pin pricks from princess cuts. Princess cuts do not make it in longer stones.
Flanders and Lucida type stones are quite different.
Emerald cut lovers will have a battle deciding if they want cold clean brightness (from the rare EC stones with equal light return) or the larger scintillating flashes.

If say 10% of people now like emerald cuts - then I suspect 5% will convert to Spring cut and 5% will stay with EC.

Or maybe another 10% who find it hard to decide between princess and EC will become SC converts. If that happened then this new cut would take the world by storm. I think it is possible.

But remeber this is all about perception, and if the stone is not made available widely then it will simply be another of the myryids of beautiful unusual diamond cuts.

I think when the AGS establishes its Firescope based Fancy Cut grading system though - the Spring Cut will come into its own.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results