shape
carat
color
clarity

Spread percentage

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Can someone explain what the +/_ numbers mean? I have read the tutorial, but don''t really understand how the percentages define the spread. I have been looking at some stones and this parameter has me baffled. Thanks for the help.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a comparitive figure for the surface area of a stone compared to a Tolkowsky round with a thin girdle.

+1% = a spread that would be 0.01ct bigger for a 1ct size

-15% is very small - and typical for a princess with an appropriate safe girdle thickness for example.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
When looking for an ideal cut stone, what range of percentages is acceptable?

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 10:59:57 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
It is a comparitive figure for the surface area of a stone compared to a Tolkowsky round with a thin girdle.

+1% = a spread that would be 0.01ct bigger for a 1ct size

-15% is very small - and typical for a princess with an appropriate safe girdle thickness for example.

Garry, what is the typical range for surface area percentage in princesses with an appropriate safe girdle thickness? Do many princesses stay true to their ideal diameters (e.g., 6.5mm x 6.5mm for a 1.5 carat princess)?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am sorry - there are no answers to either of the last 2 posts.
It is information that you can use.

Bigger is better, but thin girdles are worse-er

Have you tried to find 6.5mm princess cuts at 6.5mm?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results