shape
carat
color
clarity

Spread on an Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hope

Rough_Rock
I purchased my emerald cut, and am very happy with it! I bought the stone I fell in love with -- 1.56 D, VS 2, Depth 63.8, Table 67, Medium Girdle, 7.98 x 5.84 x 3.73.

I'm still hooked on reading these boards! And I have a question on emerald cuts maybe someone could help with.

Is there a way to estimate what the spread should be on a good emerald cut of a given weight, using the perimeter at the girdle as a guide?

When I was looking, I saw many stones that were considerably smaller to the eye for the same carat weight -- some were deeper, some had thick girdles. Here and there, I saw one that appeared larger.

Is it realistic to attempt to make any judgment on the cut based on comparison of perimeters? And I'd guess there's a point at which bigger is not better!

Thanks,

Hope

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The depth percentage, and girdle thickness pretty much determine the length/width to depth relationship of a given emerald cut. Your depth is very good so the length and width show themselves pretty much in an optimal manner. If the stone get a much thinner, there will be more light leakage and the stone won't look so good, even though it will look larger. The length to width ratio is something personal in taste, but the more square the shape, the more potential brilliancy there will be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results