shape
carat
color
clarity

spread of a larger size diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
One of my friend''s said she took her .71 to a jeweler who said its spread is more like a .80. What does that mean? Are they simply talking about the measurements (mm) or do they take into consideration the other factors which make a diamond appear larger (cut, depth, table, crown angle, pavilion angle, etc.). I''m just trying to figure out what people mean when they say this...thanks.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
It''s probably a shallower cut, which means that it is larger is diameter face up. Shallower cuts can sometimes mean that the diamond has less brilliance and fire - it depends.

ru4rn

Rough_Rock
Thanks, so a larger spread could mean the diamond is too shallow. So what really goes into making a diamond appear larger?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 9:49:27 PM
Author: ru4rn
Thanks, so a larger spread could mean the diamond is too shallow. So what really goes into making a diamond appear larger?
Yes, a shallower stone means it probably measures larger in diameter.
A well cut stone can appear larger too due to the unbeliveable sparkle. There''s picture examples here somewhere on PS where 2 stones of identical measurements appear differrent in size to to cutting. One was poorly cut and one well cut.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
spread is just mm.

he means that the diameter of the .71 is similar to that of a "standard" (Tolkowsky) .8 round.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Spread is not just mm.
Spread is diameter, divided by the weight.

mm, or millimeter, is the customary unit of measurement of diamond dimensions.

Good spread means it is wide and therefore shallow.
Poor spread means it is narrow and therefore deep.
Neither are desirable IMHO.

So saying a diamond has good spread means it looks large for the weight (when looking down at the top of the diamond).
This means it may not have good cut overall.
So good spread is not really a compliment unless your priority is a large-looking diamond for your budget instead of a well cut one.

IMHO the most desirable spread is whatever spread it has when it is cut for the best light performance.
In other words when shopping for a diamond I'd ignore spread.

That said I realize I am not the norm.
Most of the diamond buying public want the largest-looking diamond for their money.
PSers are different.
We want the best cut, which results in the best light performance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2009 8:35:28 AM
Author: Moh 10
Spread is not just mm.
Spread is diameter, divided by the weight.

mm, or millimeter, is the standard unit of measurement of diamond dimensions.

Good spread means it is wide and therefore shallow.
Poor spread means it is narrow and therefore deep.

So saying a diamond has good spread means it looks large for the weight (when looking down at the top of the diamond).
This means it may not have good cut overall.
So good spread is not really a compliment unless your priority is a large-looking diamond for your budget instead of a well cut one.

IMHO the most desirable spread is whatever spread it has when it is cut for the best light performance.
In other words when shopping for a diamond I'd ignore spread.
When we refer to spread we use the mm measurement to evaluate it as mentioned. Good spread I think many here believe is the right spread for the weight of a well cut diamond rather than for a shallow diamond, where the spread IMO is poor if it results in a larger diamond with visual sacrifice, however in the non PS world some may believe a good spread is one where the diamond looks larger certainly.

I do agree that the spread of a top cut diamond should be well within the right range for a diamond which has been cut and crafted with the best visual performance in mind, however I have been taught by the experts to always consider spread as you do with all other aspects of the diamond. With top cuts this usually falls within excellent range anyway and you get used to what the right spread for weight for top cut quality diamonds should be.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results