shape
carat
color
clarity

Spodumene

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m tempted to break my garnets only rule and buy a green spodumene. It''s over 4cts, from Afganistan and a nice minty green color. The price is very nice and it would look good alongside my kunzite. (Box rock, not a wearing rock).

However, I''m looking for some more information. I know Hiddenite is the usual green form of spodumene, and I''ve heard that the Afghan stones are somewhat controversial.

Is this another Paraiba/Mozambique cuprian elbaite saga, or are the Afghan stones irradiated or... is it all kosher and I should go ahead?

Any help gratefully received.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I could help you, but other than anything Google would throw up, I'm clueless.

I'd love to see a photo though ;-)

x x x

*ETA* Having done some Googling, I love the fact that it's kind of a 'sister' stone to Kunzite... x

Proteus

Shiny_Rock
The irradiated stones are typically a bluish-green color. The natural hiddenites, which were originally found in (and named after) an area of North Carolina, are a more emerald-green color, they''re pigmented by chromium. To my knowledge, natural hiddenites do NOT fade, but the irradiated kunzites WILL fade. Avoid the irradiated stuff. If you''ve got a picture, it would help.

The fact that you describe it as "minty green" makes me think of the irradiated stuff, though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I thought it might be - looked too nice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results