shape
carat
color
clarity

Split shank setting for sapphire e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cesly

Rough_Rock
Hi --

Just got engaged this past weekend and how hunting for the ring! (I know, kind of the opposite order of how everyone does it, but I let my boyfriend-turned-fiance know I wanted to be involved in the process and somehow, ring shopping before it was official seemed weird to me.) Anyway, I''ve been lurking for a while but now feel like I can "officially" come out of the closet.

I have always wanted a sapphire engagement ring but I''m having some trouble coming to a real decision here.

I have looked at (obsessively, actually) the Natural Sapphire Company''s site for a while now and love their stones, but I am not sure I totally care about heat treated sapphires -- I don''t want other treatments, if I can get a more beautiful stone for a smaller price, eh, that''s kind of OK by me. I''m also not AS sure about their settings -- they''re pretty, but I feel like nothing seems like "the one." Is there anyone who has seen them and can speak to the quality of the setting?

Today I had a friend come with me to Michael C. Fina and was dazzled by all the choices. The setting I MOST loved (and think would look AMAZING with a sapphire is this Mark Patterson design

-- but the $4700 price tag for the setting alone is about $1700 more than my total ring budget. (Fiance said I could go up to $4K but I object to that since we are still paying off some loans and it just seems silly/wrong to me.) this one also really appealed to me, but I don''t know if it would look AS pretty with a sapphire.

The people at Michael C. Fina were very friendly and told me they could set most of their mounts with a sapphire if I wanted - not many in stock but could find a gemstone for me, if I liked. (I felt a tiny bit of "you don''t want a diamond? are you SURE?" vibe, which I expected, but I also sort of think I might be projecting that on to people because I expect people to be weirded out by my colored gemstone for an e-ring inclinations. (I don''t know why -- it never struck me as at all unusual until I moved to NYC and found myself blinded by 2 and 3 carat door-knockers on the subway every day, I guess.)

I had seen Little King (http://www.littlekingjewelry.com/) featured in NY Mag and was really drawn to their down-to-earth, sort of hipstery vibe (I''m NOT a Tiffany & Co. kind of gal), but now that I spent some time looking through Michael C. Fina''s designer collection, I wonder if something that looks kind of handmade and artisanal (for lack of a better description) will really stand up to the crazy sparkly designs (I mean, that micropave was just WOW...). Anybody work with Little King on a design ever? I emailed Jennifer there and plan to stop by with fiance on Wed. to discuss ideas.

My other issue is patience -- I REALLY want this ring, like, soon -- to be able to go home for Christmas with a sparkle on my finger would be great (for now, am wearing his great-great-grandmother''s ring -- it''s gold with some etching, but no "bling" to speak of). I realize my Christmas deadline may not happen but I don''t want to take forever and a day with this project...!

Sorry this has been kind of long-winded, but I guess my real question is if anybody has any suggestions of split shank settings I should look at that would look nice with a sapphire, or other jewelers in NYC I should visit, or just general ideas for me? I would say my taste tends toward the pretty delicate and feminine, with a slightly antique-y feel but

Thanks for reading!

Snapshot 2007-12-10 22-30-30.jpg

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hi Cesly! Welcome and Congrats on your engagement!
36.gif

I love the picture of that setting you like. It's gorgeous!
3.gif

Renaissance Platinum, Click Here has some lovely split shank settings you might like for your sapphire! Have fun shopping for your perfect setting! Good luck.

Please let us know what you decide on
10.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
So NSC has some great preset rings that might be a good option for you. Unfortunately if you want it in time for christmas, the only option you really have are to buy something already set and in stock.

There are some pretties on NSC's website though that might work that either have the Michael C. Fina look or the old fashioned look...

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J892

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J970

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J620

Looove this one:
http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J679

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Jewelry/Rings/Jewelry=J441

Anyway, that will get you started. But you need to decide what your priorities are, i.e., whether you'd rather have a ring before x-mas even if it isn't PERFECT, or if you'd rather wait for the PERFECT ring to find you even if you need to wait awhile.

Best of luck!!!!

Cesly

Rough_Rock
Neatfreak -- I think you totally get my taste -- the rings you posted are all ones I have bookmarked as favorites. I need to get in there and see them in person. :) (Somehow, it seems a little strange to me to end up with an engagement ring for a third of my total budget, but I think if that were the case, I might wind up picking a more elaborate wedding band...)

I am not dead set on being able to show off a ring at Christmas (I do have a wedding to attend New Year''s Eve and it WOULD be fabulous to have it in/on hand by then, but I''d much rather have the perfect ring than rush it. We took six years to get engaged, so I think we can take another six weeks to fully decorate my finger.)

If it helps anyone, I apparently have weirdly small hands -- I always knew my fingers were short but felt like my they were also sausage-like and guessed I was a size 6 1/2 (not big, but wider than you''d expect for my little hands) but turns out I''m a 4 1/2 (according to the guy at Michael C. Fina, who told me you should have to twist a ring off -- I am not sure I''d want a ring THAT tight though - I don''t want to have to grease up my finger to get it off if my swollen sausage fingers if some day I get pregnant or gain a few pounds.) So delicate is good. I did, for fun''s sake, try on a RIDICULOUS cranberry sapphire ring worth like $1.7 mil. I also saw a BEAUTIFUL blue diamond ring that looked very tasteful but was also over $100k. I did not ask about the padpardascha (sp?) they had set in a Princess Diana setting, but I imagine it was quite pricey. I hadn''t seen one in person before and it was SUCH a beautiful color. I think I''m sold on a blue/violet/lavender/lilac or color change stone though -- something in the blue family, at least.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beverly K has a newer setting similar to that Mark Patterson. Don't know the cost though just an FYI.

These two are right at 4K about but they are nice. Would have to be sized for you though.

Linky

This one is a set:

Link

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest Kirk Kara designs for your setting, but you''d have to find a retailer in your area and then wait for the setting to be made to fit the dimensions of your center stone...won''t happen before Christmas, sadly. Can you make do with a simple soitaire setting for now and then get your dream setting later? Congrats on your engagement!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results