shape
carat
color
clarity

Split shank ring or pendant for a half carat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am not really sure what I want to do with my 54 pointers.

I''ve been thinking pendants or rings (as there is only 1 stone. LOL !!)

I don''t have any pendant with over a third of a carat of diamond in it. But I don''t want a classic solitaire. Maybe something cute and maybe fancy for a pendant. I really don''t know where to look. Any ideas ?

I also had a pearl ring that had a split shank. I loved it so much before some of the little stones in pave setting fell off (I have 2 very active little boys, and can''t help knocking the ring on things a lot). I tried 2 jewellers, and they both said that it would require a major work, that would cost almost as much as making a new ring. So, I wonder if my half carater is big enough to set in a split shank without the halo around it. If it is well made, do you think the stones will easily fall off again if I wear it everyday ?

Would appreciate opinions and pictures.

TIA

IMG_3337 54 points.JPG

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think there are rings you can more or less wear everyday, and there are rings that you can't. I think you have to be a lot more careful with pave styles as it is possible to lose small diamonds. If you want something you can wear everyday how about something like this. You can get a similar setting from most jewellers.

(Ring belongs to Kats - diamond is approx half carat)

katsetoiletiff.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:14:55 AM
Author:Equator
Hi all,

I don''t have any pendant with over a third of a carat of diamond in it. But I don''t want a classic solitaire. Maybe something cute and maybe fancy for a pendant. I really don''t know where to look. Any ideas ?

I also had a pearl ring that had a split shank. I loved it so much before some of the little stones in pave setting fell off (I have 2 very active little boys, and can''t help knocking the ring on things a lot). I tried 2 jewellers, and they both said that it would require a major work, that would cost almost as much as making a new ring. So, I wonder if my half carater is big enough to set in a split shank without the halo around it. If it is well made, do you think the stones will easily fall off again if I wear it everyday ?

TIA
I''m not sure if this size could handle a split shank, I''m thinking not? I just don''t think I''ve seen a split shank with a stone of this size (without the stone being overwhelmed), but maybe someone else will chime in!

As for pave falling out, that really has to do with how well they are set. Some people never have problems, some do.

I''d say, decide first if you really want a ring, or a necklace/pendant. And then a budget, which will dictate to a certain extent what you can or can''t get.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

........I wonder if my half carater is big enough to set in a split shank without the halo around it. If it is well made, do you think the stones will easily fall off again if I wear it everyday ?

TIA
I have a split shank with a 1.01 ct princess cut stone and I have seen split shanks with .50 ct but personally speaking I don''t really like the look of them. I''ve also got pave stones on my setting and I''ve had to get some of them replaced but I found a good jeweler who fixed them and I haven''t had any problems since. There are lots of lovely settings on SMTR so I''m sure you''ll find something you like
1.gif

Equator

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the idea, maisie. How big is the stone in that ring ?

Yes, I thought it would be a bit on the smallish side for a split shank, Ellen. I was just hoping that someone would tell me otherwise.
8.gif
What if it''s in a bezel setting ? Not too thick, though.....

I don''t have a set budget here, mainly because I know how much both jewellers charge for simple or intricate designs and I''ve allocated a bit aside that would be enough to make 2 pieces (the other is a small marquise) of jewelleries.

Back to making up my mind about the pendant or ring question.... well.... I just don''t know.... I want them all !! LOL !

Ohh.. I also have an M colour half carater round that is just sitting there, and I thought it could only be set in yellow gold. Which one would be better as a pendant ?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:31:36 AM
Author: Ellen

I''d say, decide first if you really want a ring, or a necklace/pendant. And then a budget, which will dictate to a certain extent what you can or can''t get.

Ditto--

and I vote pendant! I think this size is perfect for a pendant. What styles do you like? Vintage? Contemporary? I think a millgrain bezel pendant would be very pretty!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi equator :)

if you go to the ''rings under 1 ct'' thread, page 32, LaurenthePartier has a .51ct stone set in a halo. it''s an excellent example of stones of that size in a halo setting. it doesnt have a split shank, but it''s easy to imagine with the photos she has, which are nice and close and very clear. so long as the shank was delicate enough, i dont think it would overwhelm it, but it''s really what pleases *your* eye, not anyone else''s. a lot would have to depend on how delicate the work was. as for losing stones from the pave, i agree with the other comments that suggest it depends on how good the work is and how you treat it.

i love half carat rings - but then again - i love half carat pendants also! mind you - you could always save up for a second one and get earrings... :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a gorgeous diamond!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:47:23 AM
Author: Equator
Thanks for the idea, maisie. How big is the stone in that ring ?

Yes, I thought it would be a bit on the smallish side for a split shank, Ellen. I was just hoping that someone would tell me otherwise.
8.gif
What if it's in a bezel setting ? Not too thick, though.....

I don't have a set budget here, mainly because I know how much both jewellers charge for simple or intricate designs and I've allocated a bit aside that would be enough to make 2 pieces (the other is a small marquise) of jewelleries.

Back to making up my mind about the pendant or ring question.... well.... I just don't know.... I want them all !! LOL !

Ohh.. I also have an M colour half carater round that is just sitting there, and I thought it could only be set in yellow gold. Which one would be better as a pendant ?
A thin bezel setting would be pretty! (ETA, wait, do you mean a plain bezel setting, or bezel with split shank??) And it adds a bit of size too, if that is important to you.

I think I'd do this stone for your ring, and the M for your pendant. Lucky you, 2 things!!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond in that ring I showed you is half a carat.
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
My previous engagement ring was .74 carats and it was set in a split shank and it looked a little smaller for the setting to be honest. I personally would set this baby into a delicate halo or a pendant. For a pendant I''d go with a bezel or a halo or the WF ballerina.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a .565 ct set in the WF halo bezel pendant. I love it! The halo makes it the perfect size for me.

Equator

Rough_Rock
Londongirl, I love your ring. I wish I had a one carater....
18.gif

I think I like a contemporary design for a pendant, Coati. I saw one that was a simple thin bar with the diamond on the lower bit. I can''t find a picture of it, though...

Whitby, I don''t really fancy a halo setting. That''s why I was thinking of setting it like Londongirl. But my stone is tiny.....
7.gif

I like your idea of using the M colour as a pendant, Ellen. I think that''s a marvelous idea. But I''ve been wanting a marquise ring too !!

Wow... this makes me sound so greedy....
14.gif
I am putting the limit to 2 pieces at this time. I hope I can stick to it. LOL

I know that the general idea is that a half a carat is too small without a halo setting. My idea was to put a bezel setting (not a chunky one, though... I preffer a thinner one, as Ellen suggested), but I still would like to know what you say about these pictures....

It''s of the damaged pearl ring. I went to take a picture of it, and got an idea to put the other lose stones I had just to see how it would look. What do you think ?

Choice.jpg

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:31:36 AM
Author: Ellen

Hi all,

TIA
I''m not sure if this size could handle a split shank, I''m thinking not? I just don''t think I''ve seen a split shank with a stone of this size (without the stone being overwhelmed), but maybe someone else will chime in!

As for pave falling out, that really has to do with how well they are set. Some people never have problems, some do.

I have tried on a HOF split shank with a 1/2 carat diamond it could have possibly been less and it was my favourtie ring in the store - not sure if I would do a 1/2 carat split shank because the diamond did not stand out but it didn''t look bad. However the diamond was the nicest of the lot and that is what drew my attention.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think a bezel pendant would look gorgeous with your diamond
36.gif
36.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
sorry equator! i thought you said you *wanted* a halo setting - so i was saying ''go for it if you want it''. now that i re-read your original post, i''m not sure where i got that from!

i love stones around half a carat; they force a jeweler to do more than just sit them in a prong setting.

for your M color stone, i''d send it to ann mckay and see what she could achieve with it in yellow gold. she builds up stones of about that size so they end up looking significant without being heavy or bulky. i''m sure she could make it either a stunning pendant or ring. personally, i''d go pendant; her work in a pendant style would be gorgeous and a half carat would be a lovely size for that kind of jewel.

for the other stone, i''d save my pennies, buy another one, then have james meyer do this:

http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1290.htm

you can''t lose with these options :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 5:21:30 AM
Author: Deelight

I have tried on a HOF split shank with a 1/2 carat diamond it could have possibly been less and it was my favourtie ring in the store - not sure if I would do a 1/2 carat split shank because the diamond did not stand out but it didn''t look bad. However the diamond was the nicest of the lot and that is what drew my attention.
I tend to agree, I think the round would just get kind of lost and overlooked. And we can''t have that!
11.gif

I like the marquise with the split shank. I like the look (different!), and it''s big enough to stand up to the two bands!

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
I agree about the Marquise. But then again, I am a sucker for Marquise shapes, I've had 3 of them
31.gif

I do think that would look beautiful, and "not like everyone else's."
Do you mind telling the size of the Marquise?

Kat

Equator

Rough_Rock
That''s OK, Whitby.... This is probably the only time you mis-read a message, while I tend to make it a habbit (and a very annoying, not to mention embarrassing one at that). =)

I am still torn on the round or marquise..... I sort of "want" to believe that the half carat would be fine..... but afraid I might be sorry later. It looks good-ish to me and Deelight did say that it was OK. The Marquise sure looks bigger, though... and it looks like different. It''s only 40 points, by the way, Kat. I''ve always wanted an East and West marquise, though..... Hmmm..... What to do ???

Maybe I''ll:
1. do the split shank with the marquise,
2. wait if I can find a matching half carat to make a stud out of the round one or make a simple ring to withstand taking care of 2 boys,
3. make a pendant for the M stone, and then
4. find another marquise (prefferably a little bigger) to make an East and West Marquise ring.
How about that ???

Would you mind to post your Marquise ring for me, Kat ?

Pheewwh... but that''s a long list, eh ?? And my sister already said that I have way too many, that she felt like she was walking in Alladin''s cave yesterday. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results