shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinels are cheap ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
But, I don''t get it. I''m not loving it at all.

Why ? ? ?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Sonomacounty perhaps a recut would help.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that blue-grey and lavender-grey spinels are cheap; true red and blue without grey are more. But really, that much more?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the biggest selling point for a stone like that is its uniqueness Excluding lab created synthetics. blue spinels with that kind of saturation, tone and hue are unheard of, until that one poped up. .

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 5:07:18 PM
Author:colormyworld
Is that a rule I missed somewhere along the line? I guess these guys did not get that memo either.

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=2028

synthetic spinel is cheap. glass sold as spinel is cheap. badly cut spinel is cheap. heavily windowed spinel is cheap. spinel with so much extinction going on that only glints of color take place is cheap. real spinel, the real deal with pure color, no extinction, no windowing, regardless of cut is going to sell for big big big bucks per carat. and that vendor knows its spinel.....and other stones as well. they wouldn''t put that price tag on it just for the fun of it. i''d love to see it. world class spinel is few and far between.

movie zombie

ps i KNOW you didn''t get that memo!!!!!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Mz, that last part about made me fall out of my chair!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a pricetag!
23.gif
I know good blues and reds are expensive but that one is astronomical.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:07:41 PM
Author: Chrono
What a pricetag!
23.gif
I know good blues and reds are expensive but that one is astronomical.

It sure would look nice in my collection.
31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I''m sure it would. It''ll look better in mine. How about it as a Xmas pressie for me?
11.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was meant as a compliment......and you already admitted you hadn''t rec''d the memo! you''ve always been honest re stones and how there is a fit for everyone. most of us can''t afford that spinel nor will we every see one. sigh. i so wish i could see that one!

movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:28:49 PM
Author: movie zombie

it was meant as a compliment......and you already admitted you hadn''t rec''d the memo! you''ve always been honest re stones and how there is a fit for everyone. most of us can''t afford that spinel nor will we every see one. sigh. i so wish i could see that one!

movie zombie
Mz, I was laughing about not getting the memo. I can not afford it either but a guy can dream about such foolishness.

Chrono is that a window I see in that stone ?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 5:46:54 PM
Author: mercoledi
My understanding is that blue-grey and lavender-grey spinels are cheap; true red and blue without grey are more. But really, that much more?
Really. I've been hunting for a true blue for about a year.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
If a blue spinel really looks like a Kashmire blue sapphire, then perhaps the price is justified. But the photo of this particular spinel isn''t the greatest. It looks fake. Spinels have come a long way to gain acceptance since I bought my first little 2.35 ct stop sign red one for $300 per carat 20 years ago. Wish I had bought more then.

AN

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i wish that 20 years ago i knew that spinel wasn''t just a synthetic but an actual real stone!

movie zombie

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, the saturation and rarity - ok. For $20,000, I''d be annoyed it needed a recut.

I''m thinking I''d rather have that in a sapphire though, no?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results