shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Since two other people posted their spinels on the board, I thought I''d post mine. Some day I''d like to have a really nice ruby red one but in the meantime I have these pretty garnety red ones ( I bought a lot of four) and a pink one, and I''ve included my sapphire in the photo too.

myspinel.jpg

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Nice colors, I just returned from Asia. As promised to a few spinel fans, I will post some pictures of a variety of spinel. There are many who don't get to see it much or have even heard of it. It is one of the few stones that I think are very undervalued.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful stones, innerkitten. What do you plan to do with them? Do you plan to set them or collect them to admire loose?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
yowahking I'd love to see what you picked up.

AGBF, Thanks. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with them yet. I've got too many jewelry projects going at once.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are very pretty....I really really like the pink one. So many projects, so little time.
2.gif

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/27/2004 4:52:49 PM Matata wrote:

Those are very pretty....I really really like the pink one. So many projects, so little time.
2.gif
----------------

I agree...
2.gif

Matata,
So what design have you decided on your spinel?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not even close to deciding what to do with the spinel but the setting will have to be fairly simple because the stone is so large. I want to be able to tuck two diamonds into the setting. Here's one that's given me some ideas...I like the way the rose gold looks with a red stone.

rosegold.jpg

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Here's a thought...

This was one of my favorite rings.. but it was stolen when my apt was broken into last year..
sad.gif

The design is more of a RHR type, unless you're into unusual designs like me..
2.gif

red_tourmaline_ring_3.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katbadness...thanks for the idea. It's somewhat similar to this L. Mege ring I was so convinced I wanted until I bought my stone. My problem is that I have bling mood swings....some days I want bling to the point of gaudy and other days I want simple to the point of boring. I don't want to hijack Innerkitten's thread so I'll post one more idea I've found in my original thread.

mege.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Forgive my rudeness....but I forgot to say how sorry I am that your ring was stolen...what heartbreak....it is very beautiful.

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Spinels are really so beautiful gems... Usually I dont come like that in thread speaking about non techincal things, but last week I had in my hands 2 absolutly beautiful stones: One red spinel from Burma around 9 carats and a 10 carats orangy red sapphire from songea in Tanzania that was heated with flux and beryllium. The 2 gems were clean and had globally the same shape, they were so close in color that it was amazing and beautiful.
But as beautiful it was the ruby was slightly blur and fuzzy inside compared to the internal purity of the red spinel (ruby is dichroic)...
And for the price: The beautiful spinel was selling around $13000 which was a fraction of the songea stone price!
I really love spinels: You can afford a beautiful unheated gem,that has more beauty and rarity than rubies and just at a fraction of their price!

That's the market!

Continue to love your spinels, and to share this love with all of us!

All the best,

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am bumping this old thread for sweetpinkshubby, who wanted to see rings set with emeralds and rubies.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a spinel I have had for a long time, but have not yet had made into a ring. I posted it in another thread with this blurb:

"OK...I said this was going to be a long project. I hope I live long enough to see the spinel set in a ring!

The larger set of pears pictured above that I bought to go with this spinel I ended up using to set a piece of tanzanite. I thought they were too big to go with the spinel. That ring (the tanzanite with the pears) HAS been completed!

But then I still needed stones to use with the spinel. I decided on two round brilliants. I bought the ones in the photograph. (They are sitting in the pile of my carpet for the photos.)

The spinel is an ''untreated 1.78 ct. Burmese red spinel... measuring approx. 7.5 x 6.0 x 5.1 mm''. Richard Hughes, who signed the letter from Pala when I bought this wrote, ''The world''s finest red spinels come from Burma''s Mogok Stone Tract and this stone is a particularly fine example, exhibiting an intense red color similar to that of a red traffic light.''

The round brilliants I bought are both D color, VVS1 clarity, and are each .34 carat. They are hearts and arrows with AGS certificates. This photo does not do any of the stones justice, but it was the best I could do today. Don''t look for a ring soon. I can''t afford to have one made yet. The stones all go into the safe deposit box until I have saved some more money.

I hope that if you are bored silly with this ring that you are just avoiding the thread!"

Deborah

spineltopost.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
matata, i LOVE the spinel with rose gold!!!!!

and to all: do spinels come in a more orangey color? but do the ''sparkle'' like a spesstartie?

peace, movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''s an orangy spinel from CherryPicked.

My guess is that a spessertite would be more sparkly...
1.gif

widget

397gh.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
I am back from a two week trip in LucYen.
Promise to post some interesting spinel finds.

spinel

Shiny_Rock
With great pleasure to share some photos of mine. Fancy color, pink, red and cobalt spinels.
(Sorry for the poor lighting)

allspinel1.jpg

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Those spinels were cut from these roughs.
Close-up photos are to follow.

spruf1.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Mogok, those exceptional crystal clear and ruby-mistaken red spinels we hit some per year. Will show you when you will be touring my country. Glad to be your host!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

Spinel: interesting cobalt color! Thanks for sharing.

cheers--Sharon

spinel

Shiny_Rock
Close-up photos

clup1.JPG

spinel

Shiny_Rock
More photos ...

clup2.JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn''t expected to take the plunge so soon, but I am in Connecticut for the Easter holidays...and Connecticut is my true home...and my local jeweler (Jim Grunberger) is here...so I am having my spinel set! I will write about it in my own thread about the ring so as not to hijack this thread. I have had that stone, unset, for years! So this is a major step!

Deb/AGBF

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF -- After all these years your''re taking the plunge! I am sooooo looking forward to the pics.

Thanks, Spinel, for sharing the pics of your stones. I keep coming back to gaze at the blue round.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2005 4:33:44 PM
Author: Matata
AGBF -- After all these years your''re taking the plunge! I am sooooo looking forward to the pics.

I will try to take a picture or two now that the ring is done, but I am having other spinel concerns. I will post about them separately in the Colored Stones area.

Deb

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
katbadness, your ring is/was lovely. might i ask the carat size and/or mm dimensioins?

peace, movie zombie

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
spinel, the blue round is to die for! very watery color!

peace, movie zombie

spinel

Shiny_Rock
That light ocean-blue is very unusual for a spinel.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results