shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel setting help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
So I bought a blue-purple (color changer) spinel from Barry (I need to take some pictures, but these are the ones he sent me), and I''m planning on setting it into a trellis setting. I have three options and need help on which one to go with. The stone is 2.41 ct. and 8.1 mm.

I''m also wondering if I should go with rose gold instead of white - how do you think that would look?

1) Ebay setting from Americanset, $205 for 14 kt. white gold, here

2) Unique Settings of New York trellis, $230 for 14 kt. white gold, here

3) Unique Settings of New York trellis with double prongs, $245 for 14 kt. white gold, here

Thank you in advance!

BEGBlueSpinel1.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

BEGBlueSpinel2.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Such a pretty gem--hmmm I like all of the settings--I love the thicker shank in the wg.

Yanno, rose gold could be cool too. With the rose, I'd do a really thin shank and delicate claw prongs. ...and I'd stack a few tiny plain rose and yellow gold bands with it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I agree on the thinner shank with claws for rose gold. I e-mailed Marie at GOG again to see if those Unique settings coming rose gold. I hope so! And thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone. I like the thicker WG band.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That stone is gorgeous!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Marcy, thanks Mochi!

Now how to set it...

white gold? rose gold? too many choices!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I''d choose the first one in white metal. Reasons why:

1) it graduates in width, which is always good when dealing with larger stones;

2) it''s got a curved shank, which will compliment a round stone more than flat ones.

The third one almost doesen''t graduate at all, and the flat(ish) shank of the middle one would possibly look a bit chunky with such a substantial stone. As for rose gold, I believe it would diminish the color change.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely do rose gold. I have a tourmaline with the same color, and it goes flat in white gold. I know because I bought a white gold setting for it, and planned to set it in there and it went dead. I need to get rose gold.

stacy

Shiny_Rock
ACK! That is such a beautiful stone! I love, love, love spinel and you are so lucky to have a color changer!

As far as the setting goes, I really don''t think you can go wrong. Have fun choosing!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the last setting the most. The stone is gorgeous. I think rose gold would be gorgeous too! So no diamond melee at all? I do see some diamonds with the stone.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I''m a sucker for double prongs, so I''d go with that one!
9.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that stone
30.gif
I vote for the thicker shank too.
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm I don''t know what to do! I like the idea of rose gold but that means the first setting is out. Marie at GOG quoted me $410 for #2, and $470 for #3. Is the ~$200 price jump worth it to get rose gold?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t you email LOGR or one of the Chinese setting manufacturers to see if they can do that design? It doesn''t contain side diamonds, so it would be rather inexpensive that way and easy for them to make. They don''t charge more for changing the gold color, so I''m not sure why there would be such an upcharge elsewhere???

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2009 10:17:33 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Can''t you email LOGR or one of the Chinese setting manufacturers to see if they can do that design? It doesn''t contain side diamonds, so it would be rather inexpensive that way and easy for them to make. They don''t charge more for changing the gold color, so I''m not sure why there would be such an upcharge elsewhere???

Good idea TL!

I did e-mail Americanset a while back about something else, but they never got back to me. Weird.

I''m going to try them again, and if that doesn''t pan out, I guess I can look at LOGR or Jewe2004 or Ian.bo4.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yummy blueberry goodness!!
18.gif
Gorgeous stone!

I can totally see that stone wrapped in rose gold. I don''t know why, I just do. Talk about eye-popping contrast!

I also have an x-prong/trellis setting for my topaz, and I love it.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks PlatinumRock!

I just found out from the ebay seller (first setting) that they don''t cast in rose gold
7.gif

Time to move to another option!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results