shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel ring?

sheilaformby

Rough_Rock
IMG_20171011_153655.jpg IMG_20171011_153633.jpg Hi, this was left to me by a friend, it's set in an9ct band, I was told by the owner of the Creetown gem rock museum, after testing, that it was spinel, although he couldn't advise me on value. I really wanted to to know both its worth, and should I insure it!! "

Its a beautiful pale green.

Thank you
Sheila Clements.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being that it's set in 9k gold, I would say that it is probably synthetic. Large, quality gemstones are rarely set in low karat gold.The style looks to be 1940s-50s. Maybe worth $75-100 USD
If you clean it, it will sparkle!!

Last edited:

sheilaformby

Rough_Rock
Wow, thank you for your reply, I will clean it, suggestions please, I don't want to damage it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you for your reply, I will clean it, suggestions please, I don't want to damage it.
Use warm soapy water and an old toothbrush. Liquid dish soap works well.
Gently scrub under the stone, then rinse.
It is a nice vintage ring!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
And we want to see it when it's done :D beautiful!

sheilaformby

Rough_Rock
It has made such a difference, thank you for the advice. How often would you recommend I do this??

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!! It looks great!
Soap and water will never hurt the ring, so you could clean it every few days, or when it gets cloudy again.
Everyday activities, like hand washing, cooking, etc., will cause your stone to get dirty and lose it's sparkle.
It looks new again!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be Prasiolite (green amythest). Very pretty, enjoy wearing it.

sheilaformby

Rough_Rock
Now I am confused, I will admit that looks more like my ring, will a street jeweller be able to appraise it more than the guy in the gem museum?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it to a few local jewelers to get a second opinion, to be sure. They might give you a verbal estimate, as well.
Let us know what happens!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also ask a jeweler to check the prongs - always a good thing to do with an older setting.

It's a lovely, classic design and it looks wonderful on your hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results