shape
carat
color
clarity

spinel - questions about cut

deco1

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Have been lurking here for a little while and recently purchased my first spinel. I'll be returning it (due to the color), but before sending it back, I'm trying to learn more about the quality of its cut. Excerpted from the seller's description: "Cut into a classic cushion shape with great proportions. Clarity is super clean. It grades at the very top end of VVS1."

To me it looks poorly cut; I'm looking at facet shapes, symmetry and meet points. Maybe,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136308061@N06/22035724160
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136308061@N06/22035944430

You can click on the photos to enlarge them.

Thanks for your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking for precision cut, this isn't it. There are plenty of well cut stones that aren't precision cut. I am not bothered by facet shapes and imprecise meet points although I do like some sort of obvious symmetry. This particular spinel was cut to make the most of the rough material, as most coloured stones are, so although it doesn't have a window, the angles are such that it will show a tilt window easily.

Note that almost all CS will show a tilt window, depending on the cut and R.I. In the case of spinel, it should not show a tilt window this large at such a slight angle. I still would not call it poorly cut by my standards.

Picture 1 - tilt window (seen only at an angle).
Picture 2 - no window (only when viewed perpendicular to the table)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of the latest two pictures show a tilted stone, so it is a tilt window. When you place it between your fingers, I can see the facets all the way to the culet because the table is perpendicular to the camera, so there is no true window.

Can you try a picture where the camera is exactly 90 degrees to the table of the spinel? It has to be precise.

deco1

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Chrono. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't given much thought to the tilt window. Good to know.

ETA – will try to get a photo straight on, later today.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope my posts didn't sound too argumentative or belligerent or biased. If nothing else, I am trying to be fair to both parties. My replies might seem to be against you but in actuality, I am trying to be as precise as possible. :wavey:

deco1

Rough_Rock
Not at all. As a newbie, I appreciate your willingness to help. I've got a lot to learn.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best that you return the stone. Personally, the tilt window is uncomfortably large for me too.

deco1

Rough_Rock
Glad to have your assessment, Chrono. Thanks.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Area57

Rough_Rock
How big is it and how much was it? I don't think it looks cut poorly, but I am picturing it being pretty small. It's the color I don't like. I like the precision cut example much better for color

deco1

Rough_Rock
Yes, the Art Cut stone is much prettier. The main factor in my purchase was color; the spinel was advertised (and displayed in still photos and video), as having shades of pink with purple, peach and violet blue flashes. I'm looking for something multicolored...

deco1

Rough_Rock
It was 1.83 ct. (slightly smaller than the Art Cut stone above), dimensions were 7.7 x 6.6 x 4.3 mm. I paid $160.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results