shape
carat
color
clarity

Spinel CAD help

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I am working with DK on a ring. It’s based off a ring he has made. I guess I just need to have an experienced set of eyes look this over, I haven’t worked with him before. Currently, thinking all platinum. Here are the stones:
IMG_5483.jpeg
1st Cad: (Ignore the 2 tone and metal weights.)
IMG_5485.jpeg
I am waiting to get a revised cad on the shank, which I’d like to look like this:

IMG_5194.jpeg

I think the prongs in the current cad overwhelm my stones, do you agree? I am thinking i could just do 6 prongs on each of the stones. Should I cut the prongs to 3 on the diamonds? I’ve also asked for the shank to be 1.8-2.0mm. Will the milgrain on the shank look out of place? Do I need to add it elsewhere for a cohesive look? Any other things I’m missing?
Thank you for your thoughts!!

So the CAD image on my end is rather small and I can't enlarge it. That being said, here are my thoughts on what I can see.

I am an over-prongerer. lol I remember David once telling me a design was "prong city."
grins.gif
So with that in mind, I like this design. However, you clearly do not, so go with your gut. I think you can definitely stand to reduce the amount of prongs (though I wouldn't go below 4 on any given stone for security reasons... that's just me... other folks are fine with 3).

I have no problem with the milgrain only being on the shank; however, if you want to balance the design a bit more, you could consider bezeling just the center stone, just the side stones, or all three stones, and milgrain the bezels. That might give you the cohesion you're after.

It's going to be a gorgeous 3 stoner!! Good luck!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the blurry quick pic but I don't think it's too much, my stone is a little over 9x7 with 4mm sides and I have eight prongs on both. It's not the same design, but similar. Forgive all the dirt/dust, I've been out all day and had to dry her with rest stop toilet paper:lol:.
2mm with the milgrain detail sounds beautiful to me. I think mine is closer to 2.2 mm-ish taper that widens to 2.6-8mm or so in the back(I'm guestimating because I can't remember exactly).
20240408_234939.jpg 20240408_234737.jpg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
@ItsMainelyYou thank you so much! Seeing is believing for me and this was exactly what I needed! Your ring is beautiful. If mine turns out half as pretty, I will be so pleased.
@Autumn in New England , I’m not sure why the picture won’t enlarge? I am not tech savvy, so I’m sure it’s something on my end. I will have to compare the different cads when I get them. Bezeling is an option I’ve toyed with. Would that make the spinel darken more than prongs?

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the changes to the cad:
IMG_5487.png
1. I really like this new shank.
2. I’m having him add the prongs back to the spinel, as pictured in the first cad. It just looks better overall, I think.

Other than that, I think this is looking really promising!

Sorry for the blurry quick pic but I don't think it's too much, my stone is a little over 9x7 with 4mm sides and I have eight prongs on both. It's not the same design, but similar. Forgive all the dirt/dust, I've been out all day and had to dry her with rest stop toilet paper:lol:.
2mm with the milgrain detail sounds beautiful to me. I think mine is closer to 2.2 mm-ish taper that widens to 2.6-8mm or so in the back(I'm guestimating because I can't remember exactly).
20240408_234939.jpg 20240408_234737.jpg

Welp, there you go, @MamaBear. This says it all. Gorgeous!

@ItsMainelyYou thank you so much! Seeing is believing for me and this was exactly what I needed! Your ring is beautiful. If mine turns out half as pretty, I will be so pleased.
@Autumn in New England , I’m not sure why the picture won’t enlarge? I am not tech savvy, so I’m sure it’s something on my end. I will have to compare the different cads when I get them. Bezeling is an option I’ve toyed with. Would that make the spinel darken more than prongs?

I did consider that, although I feel a well-crafted bezel shouldn't make a big difference. If you're worried about that, perhaps just bezeling the size stones would be a safer option. But I still think milgrain on the band only (and prongs on all 3 stones) is a great choice as well.
thum12.gif

Here’s the changes to the cad:
IMG_5487.png
1. I really like this new shank.
2. I’m having him add the prongs back to the spinel, as pictured in the first cad. It just looks better overall, I think.

Other than that, I think this is looking really promising!

I can see this CAD much better! It's looks lovely!! Wow, you have a wee little finger.
nails.gif
Mine is 5.5, and I thought that was small before joining this board. lol

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
DK 102070-QUAD-3.png

Just to keep this thread updated…. I decided to keep 8 prongs on the spinel, just rearranged them to a more pleasing to me placement. My stones have been shipped off to DK, who is an absolute pleasure to work with. I’m so looking forward to the finished piece!

DK 102070-QUAD-3.png

Just to keep this thread updated…. I decided to keep 8 prongs on the spinel, just rearranged them to a more pleasing to me placement. My stones have been shipped off to DK, who is an absolute pleasure to work with. I’m so looking forward to the finished piece!

I think she looks super balanced now. Anticipating the big reveal!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless I am missing something you shank is 2mm wide and 2mm thick? That is pretty thick. Have you worn a band like that before? It’s necessary because the shank is so narroe, making it thick to make it strong. But I don’t like such a thick band personally. Just something to think about.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Unless I am missing something you shank is 2mm wide and 2mm thick? That is pretty thick. Have you worn a band like that before? It’s necessary because the shank is so narroe, making it thick to make it strong. But I don’t like such a thick band personally. Just something to think about.

My current engagement ring is 1.9mm wide and 1.9mm thick. (It’s the petite valoria solitaire from Whiteflash). I find it comfortable. Thank you for the heads up!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then you know what to expect! It will look fabulous.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is going to be lovely
Excited to see your finished pics!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
DK 102070-QUAD-3.png

MANY hand pics, yes?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results