shape
carat
color
clarity

Sphalerite?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
Can anyone fill me in on some details about Sphalerite? Interesting info?.......Cost per carat?

Thanks
LaserLady

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is one thing about as brilliant as diamonds, a tad more dispersive way softer with incredible orange color when lucky. Considerably softer than opal or pearls, Sphalerite is judged too soft for jewelry uses. It is hard to cut and definiely would be difficult to set by traditional means because of it, even if you may choose to risk wearing one.

Since it is not used in jewelry, Sphalerire appears cut as a (delightful) collector's oddity and it is priced as such. Larger pieces are not common and neither are clear ones, but it happens.

BTW, there is one more brilliant orange thing: not a chemical relative of Sphalerite, but... just take a look below
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

spas.JPG

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
Those photos are stunning !!!! Thank you.

Well, the reason I asked was because we have stumbled upon a large, transparent, 34x29x21.5mm faceted octagon-shaped, beautifully intense rust/orange sphalerite and I have no idea how to calculate the proper appraised value for it.

This is a first for me...any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

LaserLady

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/9/2004 12:50:58 PM LaserLady wrote:

34x29x21.5mm faceted octagon-shaped, beautifully intense rust/orange sphalerite

----------------

That is rather larger than one would expect from faceted sphalerite
2.gif
and if eye clean and decent cut it would be worth quite a bit even if not a wearable stone all the way. For once, these stones are rarely priced "per carat" - if accounted for, the price per carat would go down with weight for such large pieces, for example, with clarity counting allot, than color and perhaps origin if it is an unusual locality. The usual "flaws" of this material would be inclusions and color too deep to show brilliance and dispersion - either would make me wander why they faceted the piece in the first place...

Is it listed online?

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
No, not on the web...it belongs to a customer of mine. I have attached a photo of the stone in hopes that someone can help me with a value.

It truely is an amazing piece.

sphalerite 1.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What an awesome sphalerite! The fact it's been faceted to perfection is almost a miracle -- sphalerite has SIX directions of perfect cleavage! It's definitely a collector gem. Sphalerite rough isn't rare, but cut stones of this size definitely are, especially when set into well-designed jewelry.

I've heard the figure of $200 per carat for sphalerites of that size/color but that could be way off. I found several stones for sale in the 5-7.5 carat range for about $100/ct. retail.

You need to find an expert like Dr. Joel Arem (Joel E. Arem Inc., 301-869-5898). In addition to being a well known gemologist and author of a number of highly regarded books about gems, he's also a former gem & mineral curator for the Smithsonian. While he operates a private company I think he might be willing to give you his opinion or at minimum suggest someone who can help. I've met him several times and he's always been accommodating. You might also contact Pala International and talk with Richard Hughes or one of the other experts there. They carry sphalerites and have a "feel" for the market.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure it's a sphalerite? One that large, in that color, faceted and set without cleaving would be quite unusual.

Are you certain it's not a garnet? Spessartite, perhaps?

I'm curious what test(s) you used for a definitive ID.

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
Sorry about the delay in responding. To answer your question...I personally did not grade/ID the stone. I asked the gentleman (G.G.) who did, and he stated that there was no question in his mind that it was definitely a sphalerite ... including the fact that some prior documentation came with the piece from the person who faceted the stone.

For anyone who is interested... the result of my extensive research is this. Gem quality faceted sphalerite with intense color and brilliance is worth approximately $150/ct for the purpose of a "donation appraisal." Of course, as many of us already know.....any one specific piece of jewelry is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. So the true value of the "collector piece" we have been discussing is left open to your own personal opinions.

It sure is fun to have such amazing pieces to play with from time to time.
appl.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Forgive me LaserLady, but.....you signed your name to an appraisal on a stone that you did not ID?

I can tell you from experience that taking another person's word for the identity of a gem is a bad idea. I can't tell you how many times I've found stones to be mis-identified that had been "positively ID'd" by dealers, gemologists, cutters & collectors.

Sometimes (usually) their error is due to naivete & poor gemological skills, sometimes they are being outright deceptive.

Trust no one. Test everything until you are 100% confident yourself of its identity, because YOU are the one that's going to be held responsible if a money decision is made based on your appraisal, and you were wrong.

Any stone that you are not able to postively ID because of lack of equipment or experience, you should pass on appraising. The small fee you make appraising it is not worth the large amount of liability you incur in doing so.

Sorry to lecture you, and thanks for the pricing information.

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
Richard,
I didn't sign my name to anything...I was not appraising the piece. I was merely looking for some input on cost per carat to assist the appraiser, since he nor I had ever seen a stone of this quality and size.

I don't believe that I mentioned anywhere in my last post that he did NOT test the stone. I stated that he was sure of it's identity in ADDITION to the fact that there was documentation. I'm confident he did the appropriate testing. He is not going to sign his name to anything that he can not verify 100%. No one in their right mind would risk their reputation and/or their future on a *rock* they could not identify.

I'm sure that there are many people on this msg board that can learn from you knowledge. Unfortunately in this case your lecture was what I like to call "preaching to the choir."

In other words...I agree with you 100%...trust no one and test test test. Just like in carpentry, measure twice and cut once. Once you have siged an appraisal you can't take it back, so you better make sure you are confident in what you have stated on the appraisal.

The gentleman I work with is confident in what he signed...and now, thanks to a few days of research, he is also confident in the value he placed on the piece.

Thank for your concern
LaserLady

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Sorry LaserLady. When you said "I have no idea how to calculate the proper appraised value for it", I figured you were appraising it.

My apologies.

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
Hello, first time on this site. My name is Scott. I am a jeweler, designer and certified gem nut. I love Sphalerite, prices range from $15 per ct to $300 per ct most of the time. It is usually seen in sizes from 2ct to 7ct. Cutters hate it, setters hate it, those who wear it eventually hate it (once damaged), but I love it. I just take one out and stare at it a few times a year. Hope that helps

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
Welcome to the msg board Scott. I know what you mean about working with Sphalerite. The piece that we were looking at was mounted so beautifully.....I didn't want to touch it, hehe. I usually have a very steady hand, but I didn't dare risk turning into Ms. Fumble-Fingers while looking it over. I appreciated it's beauty from a safe distance
10.gif

Again, welcome to Pricescope and thank you for your information.
LaserLady

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
on another note, of of my jeweler friends just steamed one that I had sold to a customer. He checked his chart and thought light steam was ok, it is not the steam that bothers it unless right under the spout. It is the temperature chance from room to steam or rinse to steam, or ultrasonic (even when not hot) to steam. One crack is a heart attack feeling. Apparantly someone on this site thought I was too pushy, thanks for the response. I am not trying to sell my stuff, just chat and help.
Scott

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
No worries Scott, I didn't feel that you were the least bit pushy. I have found that there are some sensitive topics of discussion on this forum and some sensitive egos at times. You also have to be very careful about the way that you word things...but all in all this is a great place to share ideas and information.

Glad you're around
LaserLady

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I agree Scott, I didn't think you were pushy, and enjoy your participation. As LaserLady says, this is a great place for learning and sharing.

LaserLady

Rough_Rock
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results