shape
carat
color
clarity

spess, carmel, and color stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we spent the afternoon in carmel last friday and saw lots of color stones, both set and loose. many of the set stones were in rings not my style although they looked good on me....just not ''me''. i was quite impressed with the amount of color, both in new, estate, and antique settings. one place had quite a few JAF rings and three were set with spessartite. carmel seems to be ''in the know'' re spess and is carrying pieces....although i was told price was going up up up. its also one of the few places i''ve been that i can walk into stores and there are people who really do know their color stones and spot mine as a spess rather than a citrine.

i tried on a ring that is a mini of my e-ring in style, but red gold with an oval pink tourmaline set north/south and the shank inlaid with opal. it really was delicious. much more dainty thay my mounting but really good looking color wise.

however, in that same store as i was trying on that ring, i heard a man say i want that ring and then he grabbed my hand to examine my spess e-ring! i turned around and told him it was mine! i actually was quite surprised that a man in an upscale jewelry place would do such a thing. the good news is i didn''t see any spess as good as mine [or as big, either] .......much to my husband''s relief!

did see a pink diamond but it didn''t ring my chimes. however, a scrumptious 22k gold ring which is huge by even my standards caught my eye as well as some 24K gold earrings.

what was interesting to me was my over all experience : prior to having my spess set as my e-ring, i''d walk into a store and while not be completely ignored certainly was not treated as a potential customer. i think i have mentioned before that my husband and i dress comfortable and casual. however, friday in upscale carmel it was very very evident that once the salesperson/owner spotted my e-ring, my/our status had changed. even my tie-dye shirted [camp shirt style] husband noticed and commented at dinner.

to sum up: i was impressed with the selection and ability to see many different stones within easy walking distance. incredibly, i didn''t think pieces...in most cases....were unreasonably priced. given carmel''s upscale nature, i was surprised. however, the streets were not crowded nor were the stores.....which is unusual for tourist season.

movie zombie and roving color stone reporter

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Movie Zombie,
Your ring is worthy of the formation of a study group to examine it. I have used the photos of your ring to show friends what a high end spessertite ring looks like. We can''t believe it. You must be a confident woman . I didn''t realize it was an e-ring. It truly is a work of art. The gold in the photo does look much richer than my 14k stuff. Great ring. I know you have a sense of humor so I''ll tell you we guess at the cost, and no I don''t really want to know. It''s fun guessing.
That''s fun going shopping and surprising people. Your ring is really one of my all time favorites.

Thanks,
Annette

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
smitcompton/Annette,

ROFLOL! i'll have to tell my hubby that 'our' ring has spawned a game! he'll love it!

btw, we have something more in common besides admiring my ring: can you guesss?

and thank you!! movie zombie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

MZ--as an ardent admirer of colored stones I am envious of your jaunt; sounds like you had a great time "admiring"--and HOW did you convince your husband to look at jewellery?????

BTW, what are "JAF" rings? And how is it that you have seem to find "red" gold where ever you go yet it is elusive to me.....I know I live in Alberta, but...but...
5.gif

cheers--Sharon

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Movie Zombie,

Sounds like your trip was quite interesting. Oh how I LOVE Carmel. My hubby and I are going there in 2 weeks. We make a trip there, at least twice a year. We also visit Monterey too.

My husband and I always visit the jewelry stores too. I will be interested to see the different colored stones they have.

Linda

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for taking the time to give us the run down on carmel mz. i love that it was your ring that was turning heads though!
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it was husband''s idea to go into first shop.....and many of the others as well. i offered stopping in at hog''s breath when we walked by but he took a pass on having a drink there. however, the toy store was another story.....he can''t resist!

sorry for being dyslexic! its JFA: http://www.ladyfingersjewelry.com/collections/jean_francois_albert_1.htm website doesn''t do them justice. also not really my style but i like to look! we actually did consider having JFA set my spess but i''m glad our better thinking heads prevailed.

linda w: some of the smaller off the main drag [ocean avenue] places had the best things, imo. at least for my taste.

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results