shape
carat
color
clarity

Spend my money for me!!! I need a Princess Cut!!!!

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Okay guys and gals, I need your help one last time. I have the setting picked out, I just need the stone. Princess Cut to be exact!
WANTS:
Princess Cut
If possible AGS0
G Color or Lower (maybe H.. if really needed)
VS2 or Lower (maybe.. SI1 if eyeclean)
Right around 1ct
Preferably @ $5000 (up to 5500 if really needed)

A local jeweler had the following stone
GIA Cert.
1.02 ctw
VS2
F Color
Depth 66%
Table 70%
Dimensions (5.9x5.81x3.86)
for $5200

A fellow PSer from a previous topic found these three
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8122/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8124/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8125/ Not a D IF, but a H VS2 as stated in the report.

Which I prefer one of the last two from GOG, as they are VS2's.

Can you guys find a better stone in my budget (I hope I hope I hope haha!)? Or do you think one of these is the best I can do?
I"m looking to buy realllll soon, like today or tomorrow, so advise away!

Thanks in advance! I love this forum!

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Thanks that looks great too!

Now would this reasoning make sense: since the setting will have g/h vs2's, would a g/h well cut diamond look better in it? Or would an e/f still look better?

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think any of those colors would look great with a well cut stone. Here is one from whiteflash it is an H SI1 but they say it is eye clean. Also they have an offer going on that you can get 100 dollars off if you spend 3000 you have to call them within the next 24 hours, the pricescope discount maybe more than that I don't know.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2565660.htm

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think either color would look fine in the setting.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
I really like the one from BGD and GOG. Decisions decisions!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
They all look fantastic, so it comes down to the little nitpicky differences.

I'd highly recommend asking Jon from GOG to take a video of the three you're considering from there.

Here are my thoughts:
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104047574007 - very nice ASET and almost perfect square ratio.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2565660.htm - I don't like the ASET/patterning quite as much as the others, but the differences are small. It's worth noting that this diamond has the biggest face-up spread of them all...H/SI1 though.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8122/ - nice but off-square to the point of being slightly visually apparent to some people. Also you seem to prefer VS2, so I'd probably stick with one of the others.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8124/ and http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8125/ look nearly identical. Flip a coin. :cheeky:

So I'd choose either one of the Hs from GOG or the one from BGD. It's a tough call, but I think I prefer the faceting pattern on the GOG stones. The BGD is no slouch though, and it's a little cheaper...

I wouldn't worry about the small difference between the center and side stone colors. It's highly unlikely that you'd be able to notice a difference. All you'll see is SPARKLE!!!

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I like both of them, slightly different patterning, I would pick your favorite. I think both are great choices.

ETA I would put them on hold so someone doesn't snatch them up while you are deciding! and I think I have a slight preference for the GOG, although you can't go wrong.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
One last questin.
Does the GOG table seem small? It's around 15% less than the depth, is that something to worry about?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The table size is perfect on it.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Rhino|1304520785|2911988 said:
The table size is perfect on it.

There's no bias there right haha! I was just wondering since other ags0 diamonds had a slightly higher table

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it has a smaller table than some but I prefer the princess cuts with the smaller table. definitely nothing to be concerned about, it is a beautiful princess cut, the ASET looks great, AGS0 grade, GOG Signature...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I suppose but I would say that regardless of who it belonged to.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
slg47|1304523617|2912019 said:
it has a smaller table than some but I prefer the princess cuts with the smaller table. definitely nothing to be concerned about, it is a beautiful princess cut, the ASET looks great, AGS0 grade, GOG Signature...

slg is correct. The smaller table & higher crown produce an appearance that is unique within the AGS Ideal grade. I purposely seek them out. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. I do in fact have videos that compare its appearance alongside of varying flavors within the Ideal grade.

All the best,

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bmaynard06|1304520070|2911981 said:
One last questin.
Does the GOG table seem small? It's around 15% less than the depth, is that something to worry about?

I like a smaller table on princess cuts. The best looking princess cuts I have ever seen (not in person, on video) are cut by solasfera and have tables in the sub 50% range. They blow you away! Table size is not everything, but assuming everything equal I like smaller.

Ickeymouse

Rough_Rock
Mr. Rhino, The size of the table on your web page for that 1.03 H VS2 princess http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8125 has the table size listed at around 50%, but the actual AGS report has it measuring at around 60%. Maybe that is cause for the concern of the table being too small. I think you'd better fix it. ;))

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look at the helium report.

Basically different reference. 50% wrt corner length, 60% wrt width.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
What does this mean in laymens terms lol?

I hope it's still a good choice, seeing as how I went with it yesterday. I should have it today!
(Jon was a great help, he took time out to talk to me for about 30 minutes and walk me through everything!)

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
All the % is with respect to a base length, non-dimensionalize in engineering terms.

Basically describing different things with different base length.

All approximate.

Width of the diamond = 5.5mm

Table Side size = 3.3mm

Table Corner size/the diagonal = 4.1mm
(slightly different from diagonal if calculated from table side size because the table is not a square)

Diagonal of diamond = SQRT(5.5*5.5*2) = 7.78mm

Table side % = 3.3/5.5 * 100% = 60%

Table corner % wrt corner = 4.1/7.78 * 100% = 53%

Table corner % wrt side = 4.1/5.5 * 100% = 74.5%

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Ah thank you! Now why the difference between the ags report and the "helium" report?

Also I just got word the diamond arrived! I'll have to wait till I get home to see it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think that is within the scanning error.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Gotcha.

I'm excited, hopefully the diamond looks beautiful!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stone-cold11|1304604142|2912926 said:
All the % is with respect to a base length, non-dimensionalize in engineering terms.

Basically describing different things with different base length.

All approximate.

Width of the diamond = 5.5mm

Table Side size = 3.3mm

Table Corner size/the diagonal = 4.1mm
(slightly different from diagonal if calculated from table side size because the table is not a square)

Diagonal of diamond = SQRT(5.5*5.5*2) = 7.78mm

Table side % = 3.3/5.5 * 100% = 60%

Table corner % wrt corner = 4.1/7.78 * 100% = 53%

Table corner % wrt side = 4.1/5.5 * 100% = 74.5%

Stonecold, a valuable asset to this community, is right on. I personally prefer the length or corner to corner measurements be taken into account as I think it gives a more truer representation of the diamonds overall measurements. Thanks for clarifying ol friend.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
Well as many of you have read above, I went with the GOG 1ct h vs2 ags0 diamond.

Well I received the diamond yesterday and I can say is one word, WOW! This thing is
Beautiful! The diamond looks great, and I can't speak more highly of Jonathan as he was a
Great help throughout the process!

I couldn't really get any good pictures of it, but I am takin it to my local jeweler to start
A custom ring process. I will for sure keep everyone updated as you have all been a tremendous help!
And I will definitely get some pictures throughout the process, and of the complete ring!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
bmaynard06|1304691048|2913886 said:
Well as many of you have read above, I went with the GOG 1ct h vs2 ags0 diamond.

Well I received the diamond yesterday and I can say is one word, WOW! This thing is
Beautiful! The diamond looks great, and I can't speak more highly of Jonathan as he was a
Great help throughout the process!

I couldn't really get any good pictures of it, but I am takin it to my local jeweler to start
A custom ring process. I will for sure keep everyone updated as you have all been a tremendous help!
And I will definitely get some pictures throughout the process, and of the complete ring!

oh, glad to hear it! I think you made a great choice. Please keep us updated with pictures of the ring!

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
One more quick question, I am taking the diamond to my jeweler who is going to set it in the custom setting. Now they said they would take full responsibility for the diamod when it is in their possession. Now should I get this in writing? Will they be mad I'm requesting such a thing?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
bmaynard06|1304707051|2914142 said:
One more quick question, I am taking the diamond to my jeweler who is going to set it in the custom setting. Now they said they would take full responsibility for the diamod when it is in their possession. Now should I get this in writing? Will they be mad I'm requesting such a thing?

I would definitely get it in writing! I am actually surprised they are taking full responsibility, most places will not and you would need your own insurance.

bmaynard06

Rough_Rock
slg47|1304707589|2914151 said:
bmaynard06|1304707051|2914142 said:

I would definitely get it in writing! I am actually surprised they are taking full responsibility, most places will not and you would need your own insurance.

She said that initially, so I will for sure ask again before leaving it there.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GOG princess cut is beautiful...great choice!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results