shape
carat
color
clarity

Spence carries Lightbox

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I recently walked into a Spence diamonds store at a local high end mall. As they are known for “artisan-crafted” MMDs, I asked the salesperson about how their stones compare to the cheaper Lightbox alternatives. At which point, the rep directed me to a case of Lightbox earrings and pendants. I am not sure if they deliberately used different lighting in the Lightbox case, but to my untrained eye, the stones looked abhorrent (dull, dark, lifeless) compared to Spence’s home-grown. I then proceeded to ask the sales rep if she knew which lab DeBeers used. To my surprise, the rep replied that Spence’s labs grow diamonds for the Lightbox brand, which is why they carry in their store. Then I asked why such a drastic difference in quality and she advised that Lightbox is meant to be affordable entry into diamond fashion jewelry, but not meant to compete with their own e-ring quality pieces. That made sense to me since don’t want to canabalize own business and still have avenue to get rid of sub-par product. In the end, I think DeBeers and Spence are going to make a killing from the new venture as the Lightbox stones are what I would consider rejects not even worth the price they’re going for. A comparable analogy would be that Lightbox is the white chocolate of MMDs; merely a derivative created from the leftovers of premium product that is packaged and sold to squeeze every penny from the consumer. And there are plenty of people who love white chocolate (I’m not one).

Antique Chic

Shiny_Rock

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lightbox has said they plan to sell through dealers, but they haven't done it yet and they haven't said who it will be. I'm willing to bet it WON'T be a dealer who treats them like this. As mentioned above, their manufacturing is being done by Element 6, a wholly owned division of DeBeers and the largest manufacturer of synthetic diamonds in the world.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what a manipulative and misleading sales tactic. I think you should report this store to Lightbox and let them know the store is displaying intentionally subpar lab diamonds and claiming they are Lightbox in order to sell their own MMD.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't mind that they want to try to push their more expensive lab diamonds over lightbox. I get they don't want to sell at 800 per carat, but stating

"Ungraded lab-grown diamonds such as those from Lightbox are an entirely different class of diamonds than high-quality, lab-grown diamonds that are independently certified in the same way high-quality, earth-mined diamonds are."

This is TOTAL BS.

AGS and GIA are NOT certifying their lab diamonds. If they are LYING about their lab diamonds being certified in the same way that " high quality earth mind diamonds are " ( and lets be honest, almost all high quality stones are GIA or AGS -- as no jeweler would send a D - IF XXX 5 carat diamond to IGI to be certified ) they are probably lying about the rest TOO. Sending a lab diamond to a second rate lab to be certified is FINE, but they should not be lying to people about this.

AGS and GIA are not certifying this stores lab diamonds. I call BS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results