shape
carat
color
clarity

Specificity of the ideal-scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dymonite

Rough_Rock
I suddenly had a question about the ideal-scope.

We already know that large areas of white and pale pink are indicative of light leakage. Conversely, the absence of these features is assumed to indicate good light return.

It is possible for a diamond with no noticeable areas of white have a sufficently diffuse loss of light (i.e. not concentrated from any one point on the diamond) such that the overall light return is actually poor?

:Up_to_something:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You got me busy Dynamite :)

Partial light leakage and partial light return = pale pink.

Make sense?

Either the light returns, or it does not - but it must go somewhere.

Black and grey are reflections of the lens (Harding effect which you can read about at http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/faceting/ ).
The $25 ideal-scope has about 23 degree head shading effect.

dymonite

Rough_Rock
I guess the real question here is:

Does a paler pink diamond without white areas (i.e. consistent colouration throughout - partial but no areas of full leakage) always outperform a pinker diamond with white areas (i.e. areas of complete leakage)?

Is there such a thing as the former example?

dymonite

Rough_Rock
I am not sure if it is your wine or my question:

Mmm.. try this

Which diamond should I choose (A or B)?

A) Diamond generally has a pale pink colour but with no white bits

OR

B) Diamond generally has a stronger pink colour but with some white bits

Diamond A - is a diamond with no areas of complete leakage (no white bits) but more partial leakage througout (overall pale pink)

Diamond B - is a diamond with some focal areas of complete leakage (some white bits) but less l partial leakage throughout (everywhere else is a stronger pink)

:loopy:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results