shape
carat
color
clarity

Specific CS items/stones you wish you had bought but didn't

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@2Neezers I would LOVE a pair of peridot earrings! ALMOST pulled the trigger on one of their pairs of peridots but then the drama of setting earrings held me back!

Haha I was hoping a PSer had bought those zircon earrings!

Speaking of regrets, a HEART SHAPED mint garnet by Jeff Davies. I logged onto FB a few hours too late I think and saw it just after it had sold. I didn't get to make a decision on that one but still sad I didn't check Facebook earlier that day!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl I think part of my hesitation is its "just" an amethyst (husband's birthstone), not a collector stone and kinda pricey.
But, then, sigh, it's rose de France, set in platinum, with diamonds, and a 100 year old deco piece.
Trying to rationalize if it's worth it or overpriced. .. But I love it. . takes my breath away

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE how pricey are we talking?

Is it like: Pricier than normal but nothing astronomical

Or: MEGA pricey like 300% times overpriced

I would pay a premium for that something special that takes my breath away but not if something is just randomly and blatantly overpriced.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE how pricey are we talking?

Is it like: Pricier than normal but nothing astronomical

Or: MEGA pricey like 300% times overpriced

I would pay a premium for that something special that takes my breath away but not if something is just randomly and blatantly overpriced.
Well It's probably just a few hundred over what I expected. .. and is a one of a kind antique. Been comparison shopping, and the old art deco ameythyst pieces are in line with what she's asking. ..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a gorgeous pair of moonstone earrings a few years back on Etsy. I don't remember the seller. I had been in the middle of a purchasing spree so hesitated and thought the price was a bit high (but don't remember the price) and anyway months later regretted passing on the earrings. They weren't antique (I have a preference for antique) so I rationalized ok don't need these but heck, what bling do we really need ? Perhaps we need bling for nourishment of our souls but not need it for our survival. But sometimes my brain gets so hyper and I start thinking I need a certain piece for happiness. Which is of course completely ludicrous. But I do love da bling what can I say. Usually though I have a healthy perspective about it all. Still regret passing on those lovely moonstone earrings and I still do not have any moonstone pieces in my bling wardrobe. Maybe one day...

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well It's probably just a few hundred over what I expected. .. and is a one of a kind antique. Been comparison shopping, and the old art deco ameythyst pieces are in line with what she's asking. ..

Aww just get it hun! Sounds perfectly sensible! If I delivered you an amethyst tomorrow at the correct price it still won't make your heart sing like this so go for it if you're ok financially!

And once again I reiterate you can save a few hundred by grocery shopping smartly :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl I think part of my hesitation is its "just" an amethyst (husband's birthstone), not a collector stone and kinda pricey.
But, then, sigh, it's rose de France, set in platinum, with diamonds, and a 100 year old deco piece.
Trying to rationalize if it's worth it or overpriced. .. But I love it. . takes my breath away

That. You should get it. Life is too short and unpredictable for regrets. If you can afford it and it absolutely makes your heart sing, worth that little bit extra imo.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
[QUOTE="mellowyellowgirl, post: 4419488, member: 77602”]
Speaking of regrets, a HEART SHAPED mint garnet by Jeff Davies. I logged onto FB a few hours too late I think and saw it just after it had sold. I didn't get to make a decision on that one but still sad I didn't check Facebook earlier that day![/QUOTE]

Oh I think I know exactly which one you speak of! It was gorgeous. I even showed it to my very gem-illiterate parents as an example of how gorgeous gemstones can be.

Edit: sorry, somehow screwed up the formatting and can’t figure out how to fix it on mobile :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My most notable was a pool blue pariaba tourmaline cabochon with a striking cats eye. Never seen one a perfect colour with a perfect eye ever again. And I sent an unheated untreated paraiba back to a well known Aussie vendor that was a nice blue Brazil origin good size because it had a window. It would have been worth 3 to 4 times what I paid for it now, it sold almost immediately after I returned it.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There was a kind of expensive bi-colored tourmaline on mastercut gems that reminded me of cotton candy. It had been on the site a while. I finally decided to buy it. I planned when I was going to buy it and budgeted accordingly. Well, one day I decided ogle over it. Not only was the stone gone, the ENTIRE category tab had vanished!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Enablers!! :kiss2:
I put a hold on this, am I nuts??
20180927_173249.png

If it makes your heart sing, why not?

Amethysts are soft though, so the ring needs to be babied. Are you ok with that?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
If it makes your heart sing, why not?

Amethysts are soft though, so the ring needs to be babied. Are you ok with that?

Part of why, though I love it, I think I'm going to pass... hopefully to do something very similiar in lavender -pink spinel or sapphire. Something I can wear daily.
But, sigh. :cry2:

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Rubybrick yes, that's gorgeous! I have as of last count 6 faceted ruby/sapphire between 1 and 1.5 ct, but I suspect the stone you posted would cost more than all my little sapphires put together! I suspect that is Mastercut's 4ct beauty? Tempted to look on their website but will resist. It will probably hold its value well, but not many of us just have that much cash sitting around.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Found some photos. First :Mint Peridot, Rhodolite Garnet and then Spinel. The one that I regret most not buying is the Peridot, it was really calling me. I decided to buy it and when I reached to the seller, it was already gone.

Peridot6682B.jpg rh1020.jpg spinel500.jpg

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally understand how you feel. I was there once too but with a mint garnet. Still there a little...

Maybe consider this for the mint peridot?

https://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/1634/Gem+2031+-+Peridot

Thanks!
It's a beautiful stone but for me it's not the fact that is was a mint Peridot, it was the stone itself that I liked.
I saved that photo because I liked that particular stone. If it makes me go back and take another look at it or I find myself thinking about it, then for me that's it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh...……..the most gorgeous oval pink sapphire set in platinum. I loved that ring. Gorgeous color and cut. Absolutely no bow tie. And the detail work was just amazing.

IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh and that Pad colored Spinel I saw in Palm Springs. Gosh my list goes on and on:snore:

cheers--Sharon

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also bought and returned a gemstone and wish I could go back in time and keep it!

It was a Barry B supanova pink tourmaline. I’m so annoyed with my past self for not keeping it. :cry2:

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Rubybrick yes, that's gorgeous! I have as of last count 6 faceted ruby/sapphire between 1 and 1.5 ct, but I suspect the stone you posted would cost more than all my little sapphires put together! I suspect that is Mastercut's 4ct beauty? Tempted to look on their website but will resist. It will probably hold its value well, but not many of us just have that much cash sitting around.
@voce Wow you really have a good pulse on what gems are out there! yes, it is the 4ct on mastercuts site. I am not sure how I feel about wearing gems that big on my finger, plus I have wanted a step cut diamond 5 stone forever but recently got into CS... only if money isn’t a limiting factor! :lol:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2FC47CF5-C9A0-4458-A1FC-11A86CAD8434.jpeg A few...this sleepy spinel from Swala.

A pad sapphire that Jason Brim sold for a song. I was on the verge of grabbing it but someone beat me to the punch. It ended being sold later for a much higher price, out of my range.

I’m regretting not buying diamondseeker’s big yellow sapph now, that was on LT recently.

Sometimes budget and timing don’t line up, not much we can do!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of TL's lavender/blue stones!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I still pine for a gorgeous rose gold diamond convertible necklace!!! It was from a local jeweler about 10 years ago and it had a gorgeous rose gold diamond ring to match. The necklace was the true stunner. My dad even said he would loan me the money but I thought I shouldn't buy something I did not have money for at the time, but I was wrong!
The necklace converted from a pendant to a regal spread (hard to describe) but just gorgeous. I never took a picture. I've gone back to the store from time to time to see if it came back and I've given her my number. So, I've learned when I love something, I love something and to get it.
I still would love convertible jewelry, especially a necklace - so great for travel.
Hugs to all who are sad about jewelry regrets and cheers to all the beautiful bling that we do have!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results