carat
color
clarity

Specialty Cut Sapphires

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been browsing PS (aka lurking
2.gif
) for a few weeks now, and I came across a post with specialty cut sapphires that looked like they were cut in a similar way that diamonds are. When you look at them, they look like they have rays eminating from the center of the stone. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark the link like I thought I had and can''t seem to find it again. Does anyone know what I am talking about and could tell me the name of the vendor or their URL? Thanks so much!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you have been looking at Jeff White’s custom cut sapphires. www.whitesgems.com

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond rounds are cut in what is know in the colored stone world as a SRB (standard round brilliant). It''s normally the first stone cut by every cutter as it''s about the easiest design to cut. Many commercial cut stones that are cut as rounds are cut with a step cut pavilion. This gives the cutter more freedom to follow the natural shape of the rough and often end up with a heavier stone, but normally the last tier or two is cut below the critical angle for the material and the stone ends up with a window.

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock
Chrono, unfortunately that is not the site I was looking at.

The stone looks alot like the avatar for Precision Gem, however it was not their site either
40.gif

I wish I had a photo to attach to show you exactly what I mean! I am so sad I can''t find the site now.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting on Gene’s stone is concave faceting, not the traditional flat faceting. Perhaps you are referring to Richard Homer’s work? www.concavegems.com

Eskiez

Shiny_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eskiez said:
I finally found it :appl:
I was looking at the Luminous Sapphires at IceStore http://icestore.com/sapphires/sapphires.asp
Thanks for the other links though. I definitely found a few other items to lust after as well!

Diamonds are definitely not cut like that; this style of cutting is called concave faceting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results