shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of vacuums, looking for the best one for pets

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really inspired by the stick vac thread, still considering all options but while reading reviews on the full size Dyson Animal Ball I noticed something. One of the questions that was answered by a Dyson rep said that the Animal should not be used to pickup cat litter because it can damage the vacuum.

This is news to me because we had an original Animal and picked up everything with it no problem. So that got me thinking if cat litter is a problem maybe bird seed is too? Maybe I am expecting too much from a vacuum specially designed for use in a pet household?

So if you have pets (especially cats) and you love your vacuum whether it is upright, stick or something else...please share what you have! My main criteria is that it has to pickup all the hair and all the little crumbs without having to go over an area multiple times. Also the want has to have a handle, this was an issue I had with a lower priced Dyson that we returned.

TIA!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bird seed is an issue! My Dyson V10 is fine with that and hair, but it doesn't meet your handle issue. What about Miele? I looked into them before I got the Dyson, but I can't remember the issue I had. I have no idea about cat litter. That sounds like maybe you need a bag model?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE my Miele! It is the absolute best vacuum I've ever had. I have 3 shedding like crazy dogs. Anything that comes with a full 7 year warranty is awesome in my book. It means it's built well. I got one for upstairs and one for downstairs!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, I might have found an answer to the bird seed/cat litter that I didn't think of. DH suggested our shop vac since it is made for small particles. So maybe I will use the shop vac on those areas but I would still like a better vacuum for all the rest.

@Gussie do all Miele vacuums use bags? I'll admit the bagless vacuums have me quite spoiled in that regard :lol-2: Also what model(s) do you have if you don't mind sharing?

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lyra, I might have found an answer to the bird seed/cat litter that I didn't think of. DH suggested our shop vac since it is made for small particles. So maybe I will use the shop vac on those areas but I would still like a better vacuum for all the rest.

@Gussie do all Miele vacuums use bags? I'll admit the bagless vacuums have me quite spoiled in that regard :lol-2: Also what model(s) do you have if you don't mind sharing?

I think they all have bags. I like a bag because I put a few drops of essential oil on the bag and it smells fresh. I have the U1 Cat and Dog upright model.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, I did some research and they do have bagless models. Do you just buy bags from Amazon? I really have to think on going back to bags, on the plus side I plan on keeping our current vacuum so our son can vacuum his room. I don't want him using a new vacuum because he killed our Dyson with a Lego! Our current unit is bagless so in a pinch I could use it if I ran out of bags.

Sorry that is a bit wordy, just thinking out loud.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada, I bought 4 boxes of bags and I think they hold 5 bags each. I am shocked at how stuffed the bag gets before it needs to be changed. Bags last about 2 months with normal vacuuming. I usually buy the m at a vacuum store because I drive by there all the time and it is usually bogo free on the boxes, which are expensive. My mom has a Miele too and she gets hers from Amazon. I didn't know they had bagless! Hopefully I won't need a new vacuum for a while though.

I also have a cool shark at my cabin. It is an upright but it comes apart so it's like a handheld cannister. It is so awesome how easy it is to use attachments. I don't think it is quite as good as the Miele though as far as picking stuff up.

BTW - KUDOS to you for getting your son to vacuum!!!! I don't think my son know what one is.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, I think you have the same Shark as my neighbor, she really likes hers.

As for our son, he has the only room with carpet AND a huge collection of Matchbox cars that he likes to line up and play with, at thirteen year old mind you! So yes he does his own room because no way am I picking up all those cars. He has also become quite the chef since lockdown, he makes a really good omelet!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Miele C3 Cat and Dog which I love, however I don't have any pets. I was just looking for the best and most powerful vacuum. Bagged vaccums are cleaner since there's not a puff of dust when you empty the bagless ones!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MRBXXXFVVS1 the puff of dust is a good point also inevitably some misses the trash bin and ends up on the floor.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mighty mite. Cheap. Sucks up litter with accompanying pee and poo. Goes in a bag. That way, when the bag is full, I dont have to touch that waste. I also put in a dryer sheet whenever I change the bag, inside the bag.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @PintoBean :wavey:
This appeals to me since I wouldn't have to baby it or pull out the shop vac, seems like a solid choice that could take a beating. Also love the dryer sheet idea!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 Mieles -- an older Kona and a newer Complete C3 Homecare+. One vacuum at each end of the house because I'm lazy. Picks up litter, cat hair, and all the other junk that ends up on the floor. We have a few area rugs and most of the house is vinyl plank. I've had a Dyson animal in the past and found that it kicked the cat litter around rather than sucked it up. The C3 came with a turbo attachment for pet hair that I use on the cat trees but the regular attachments work fine on the furniture. Love them both. The housekeepers I've had have all said they like Mieles better than any other vacuums they've used.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 Mieles -- an older Kona and a newer Complete C3 Homecare+. One vacuum at each end of the house because I'm lazy. Picks up litter, cat hair, and all the other junk that ends up on the floor. We have a few area rugs and most of the house is vinyl plank. I've had a Dyson animal in the past and found that it kicked the cat litter around rather than sucked it up. The C3 came with a turbo attachment for pet hair that I use on the cat trees but the regular attachments work fine on the furniture. Love them both. The housekeepers I've had have all said they like Mieles better than any other vacuums they've used.
Holy shit that's expensive! Let's get me engaged and i will register for one. Just kinda look at it and pet it hello and goodbye... Cuz I'm creepy like that.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if the brand is available globally, however, I seriously considered getting a Shark cordless stick vacuum cleaner.

The brand supports a cat and a dog charity that I support, and their products are supposed to be better at dealing with pet hairs.

Decided against the bigger ones as it is a lot of money for just the car and my campervan (I have help with cleaning of my house as I hate doing it myself), and opted for a small hand held one with short battery life, which is fine for what I need.

And it is good for catching spiders and wasps too as it is very light and I can grab it quickly. It does not kill the insects and I can let them out in the garden.

DK :))

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a Miele C3 upon recommendation here and I love it. Five Maine Coon cats and a forever shedding Sheltie.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh for anyone with a bagless canister, I always empty mine outside into it's own bag, then it goes right into the bin. This eliminates the dust mess inside.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matata that is my main concern is getting a machine that picks all the hair, dirt and litter up instead of pushing it around or it flying out the back! I had a laugh that you have two out of "laziness" that's the reason we bought a one floor house, plus laundry isn't in the basement and that is a huge plus.

@PintoBean and @Daisys and Diamonds, you gals crack me up. If I get a Miele it will be second on the "save in case of fire" list the jewelry box is first!

@dk168, the neighbor loves their Shark and honestly never thought of catching bugs and such with it but that's a great idea.

@DAF, you have a sheltie! I miss my girl so much. I have to say five main coons and a sheltie is an excellent testimonial for a vacuum, that is a lot of hair on the daily.

@Asscherhalo_lover, that's a good point about bringing it outside, I usually do unless it's raining or a blizzard which is not uncommon here in the winter.

@hedgehog93, I love your avatar and congrats on your engagement! Thanks for the recommendation too!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@springerspaniel someome needs to get on that in that ASAP, someone needs to put these dogs to work.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada I find that no matter which brand of vacuum I buy, my dogs cannot figure out how to plug it in and use it themselves.

I know right? My cats too. Super lazy furry monsters. :lol:

All they do is lay around meowing for bon bons and the like. Harumphhh.

FA6C660A-F14D-4126-B822-9DDF411F324D.jpeg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really inspired by the stick vac thread, still considering all options but while reading reviews on the full size Dyson Animal Ball I noticed something. One of the questions that was answered by a Dyson rep said that the Animal should not be used to pickup cat litter because it can damage the vacuum.

This is news to me because we had an original Animal and picked up everything with it no problem. So that got me thinking if cat litter is a problem maybe bird seed is too? Maybe I am expecting too much from a vacuum specially designed for use in a pet household?

So if you have pets (especially cats) and you love your vacuum whether it is upright, stick or something else...please share what you have! My main criteria is that it has to pickup all the hair and all the little crumbs without having to go over an area multiple times. Also the want has to have a handle, this was an issue I had with a lower priced Dyson that we returned.

TIA!

As an owner of 4 cats I can tell you that cat litter is something I gave up a long time ago. I got the Breeze litter system and it's awesome. I am an extremely neat and clean person and litter is just gross. I have a central vac so I can't be much help with a vacuum.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @doberman, I'll look into the Breeze although I'm always hesitant to mess with the litter box, the last thing I want is to upset them and have them start urinating in the house.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a laugh that you have two out of "laziness" that's the reason we bought a one floor house, plus laundry isn't in the basement and that is a huge plus.

I'm in a single story too and still too lazy :oops::oops::oops::oops:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @doberman, I'll look into the Breeze although I'm always hesitant to mess with the litter box, the last thing I want is to upset them and have them start urinating in the house.

All my cats started with litter at their rescues but they transitioned to the Breeze pellets beautifully once I brought them home. As long as they can dig, they're happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results