shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of meeting with the boss......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
How would you go about asking for a raise? I was due a raise in the middle of September and the boss hasn''t said anything about it.
15.gif
My job duties have gotten bigger and bigger and I have a lot more on my plate since this time last year. Bankruptcy filings are going up and that creates more work for me. I have more responsibilities since my boss is usually in on Tuesday - Thursday and I''m the "boss" on Mondays and Fridays. I love my job, and while I am being paid fairly for the work I do it is customary for me to get a raise once per year - along with a review of my other benefits (vacation time, etc.).

I''ve thought about doing a memo to him outlining my "new" duties and suggest a raise, or should I just waltz into his office and lay my cards on the table? My boss is a super nice guy and our office is pretty casual so I''m not sure we''d actually need to have an official meeting or anything like that. Any help is appreciated!
4.gif

Jess

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
When I've asked for a raise (once, in a similar situation) I asked my bosses if I could speak to them when they had a few minutes. This immediately sent up red flags that I would be quitting which turned out to work in my favor. When they were available, I lead THEM into a room for a discussion. I started by telling them that during the past x months I have acquired such and such tasks, opportunities, etc. I told them the new inventory system I implemented and how well it was going. I also told them what I had done as far as training other employees, meeting with sales reps, all the personnel stuff. I told them I was happy in my position, and they had made significant savings with me being the head of certain areas. Then I told them what and when my last pay raise was. I didn't demand a raise, I just asked them to discuss our meeting and get back to me. Then I thanked them for their time.

They came back to me about 20 minutes later and offered me the biggest raise I'd ever gotten. And, they THANKED me for all that I had accomplished and they THANKED me for bringing the raise to their attention.

I think they respect you more when you have the confidence to go right up to them and lay all your cards on the table.

GOOD LUCK!!
1.gif

ETA- my office was really casual and laid back, too. That's why I made it more of a formal situation. I think when asking for a raise, it should be under a very professional pretense.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results