shape
carat
color
clarity

Sparkle in direct sun light

Artu

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have read post were is mentioned that often ideal cut diamond would look dark under direct sun light and if I am not mistaken someone actually said that non ideal cut diamond would sparkle in direct sunlight due to the actual leakage, is this correct?
Also Is there any difference between a lab and mine diamond light performance under direct sun light?

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I have read post were is mentioned that often ideal cut diamond would look dark under direct sun light and if I am not mistaken someone actually said that non ideal cut diamond would sparkle in direct sunlight due to the actual leakage, is this correct?
Also Is there any difference between a lab and mine diamond light performance under direct sun light?

1. An ideal cut diamond can look darker if the viewer's head is directly over the diamond and the darkness will increase as the diamond is held closer to the eyes/head because the person's head is blocking light from entering the table area.

2. A poorly cut diamond with leakage will sparkle more as a loose diamond since light is permitted to enter the pavilion area. When it's mounted in a setting, an adequate amount of light can no longer enter through the pavilion area, causing the poorly cut diamond to appear dark and boring with reduced scintillation and sparkle.

3. If there are no transparency issues (such as cloudiness/haziness) for either mined or lab, then they will both perform the same since they are both chemically and structurally the exact same.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
what DejaWiz said. Also, all diamonds go darker in direct sun, though they emit fire like crazy under those conditions. To photograph a diamond try standing under a tree. It creates many points of light that light a diamond up!

Artu

Rough_Rock
Ahahah

Kasey Bug

Shiny_Rock
I had Jonathan at Distinctive Gem source 2cttw lab diamonds for me to have stud earrings made. Mine are Ideal cut, H, VS1/2, no flor. The link below shows the diamonds in different light. He’s wonderful to work with and I love my earrings.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I had Jonathan at Distinctive Gem source 2cttw lab diamonds for me to have stud earrings made. Mine are Ideal cut, H, VS1/2, no flor. The link below shows the diamonds in different light. He’s wonderful to work with and I love my earrings.

Someday I want to work with him to source a round. He and his youtube videos are the reason I got into diamonds in the first place.

Artu

Rough_Rock

Beautiful!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) So ACA diamonds won’t sparkle in direct sun? Is that what I’m understanding?

The sun is a small point light from earth. If a diamond symmetry is really tight and proportions good you should see a max of a few sparkles with one eye. Twice an many with both eyes.
The rest of the diamond will.return the other parts of the environment. That usually means relative darkness and blue from the sky.
Google diamonds go dark in sunlight and you should find my real world examples

muffins

Rough_Rock
The sun is a small point light from earth. If a diamond symmetry is really tight and proportions good you should see a max of a few sparkles with one eye. Twice an many with both eyes.
The rest of the diamond will.return the other parts of the environment. That usually means relative darkness and blue from the sky.
Google diamonds go dark in sunlight and you should find my real world examples

Interesting… very counterintuitive. I expected my new ACA would be a ball of fire in the sun. Great information and explanation. Thank you

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results