shape
carat
color
clarity

sourcing melee?

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
I am trying to save costs on a graduation ring that I'm having made, and the artist is open to using stones I source myself for the project. I would prefer not to use diamonds, and thought I would turn to my trusted experts to see if you have any experience sourcing melee?

I need 22 white/clear stones that are 1.4mm. White sapphire comes to mind as the most common alternative, but does anyone have ideas on where I could find a small parcel?

Thank you so much!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
You are generally better asking the designer/manufacturer to source the melee for you as they can normally get it cheaper and more easily than you. Melee is not expensive - the cost of setting it is! You could see if anyone is selling some on eBay - the big Chinese and Sri Lankan cutting houses often produce the things.

Any reason you don't want to use diamonds? I had a ring with white sapphire melee and it drove me crazy - it just looked like they were diamonds that needed a jolly good scrub. Sapphires won't show fire in the way that a diamond will.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I second Pandora's opinion on white sapphire melee. I have a pair of hoop earrings w/ it & they have no sparkle, just look like dirty diamonds. If possible, I think you'd be happier w/diamond melee.

--- Laurie

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Hmm. Good to know. Thanks for your input ladies!

GreyCat

Rough_Rock
Any thoughts on white zircon as melee? I just saw a tanzanite ring on Etsy, HOW's site, with it. Just wondering if it looks that great IRL and if it stays good looking...

I'm a long time lurker and want to thank all of you as I've learned so much here.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Off topic, but I would also suggest getting a few extra melee just in case!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't - zircon chips like crazy - I would not like to go pulling bits of metal up over it.

The price difference between diamond and non-diamond melee is minimal - the cost is all in the labour of setting it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results