shape
carat
color
clarity

Source for rose quartz and smoky quartz?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CS Peeps,

I am a little scared of posting in the CS forum, but I can't think of any people more qualified and knowledgeable. Can anyone suggest a good source for faceted rose quartz and smoky quartz? I have been thinking about an H Stern ring I saw 7-8 years ago, and would like to see how I can create something similar, but in a smaller scale, and maybe in a slightly different shape and different shank.

This is the ring that inspired me.

I have no idea where to start to look for stones. If I wanted a certain size, would I need to get them custom cut? Anyhoo, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for a source for the stones and a great cutter, they would be very welcome.

Thank you so much.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two cutters spring to mind: Dana at Mastercut Gems, and Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Smokey quartz
And i would love a nice piece in rose quartz
It's hard to find anything here in a nice not too pale shade
i find myself googling rose quartz every couple of weeks
I prefer fascated so ill be following this thread with much interest
Good luck

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I can't help you with a potential source for your stones but I wish you luck with your search and with this project. I too will be watching with interest.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suggest reaching out to Jerry (Gemart Services) - he is very reasonably priced, a precision cutter, definitely cuts quartz gemstones, and has a beautiful rectangular cushion design (3rd stone from the bottom of this page http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm

If you were to email him, I'd be sure to describe your preferred quartz coloration (pale, medium, dark), and preferably also attach photos of quartz stones you like.

I would also include in the email the approximate dimensions of the stones you are envisioning. He is usually quick to respond, and in my experience his project turnaround time is also fast.

This is a wonderful project, and I look forward to seeing how things unfold and the resulting piece!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two cutters spring to mind: Dana at Mastercut Gems, and Doug Menadue at Bespoke Gems.

DK :))

Thank you very much @dk168.

I love Smokey quartz
And i would love a nice piece in rose quartz
It's hard to find anything here in a nice not too pale shade
i find myself googling rose quartz every couple of weeks
I prefer fascated so ill be following this thread with much interest
Good luck

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds . I will try to learn what I can. When covid is over, I will go out and look at stones IRL to figure out the difference. I don't really trust my eyes when looking online. I really love super clear translucent stones.

Unfortunately I can't help you with a potential source for your stones but I wish you luck with your search and with this project. I too will be watching with interest.
Thank you @Yelena . It is a weird ring and not to the taste of many people, but it just really appeals to me for some reason.

I suggest reaching out to Jerry (Gemart Services) - he is very reasonably priced, a precision cutter, definitely cuts quartz gemstones, and has a beautiful rectangular cushion design (3rd stone from the bottom of this page http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm

If you were to email him, I'd be sure to describe your preferred quartz coloration (pale, medium, dark), and preferably also attach photos of quartz stones you like. THANK YOU. GOOD TO KNOW.

I would also include in the email the approximate dimensions of the stones you are envisioning. THANK YOU. WILL NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THIS WILL BE JUST USING MY FINGER.LOL! He is usually quick to respond, and in my experience his project turnaround time is also fast.

This is a wonderful project, and I look forward to seeing how things unfold and the resulting piece!!

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. Much appreciated. I didn't know all these factors make a difference.

One thing that eludes me is how to describe the cut of the stone I prefer. I noticed that I don't love a lot of the cuts that I see on gemstone sites. A lot of the stones have faceting that look like MRB diamonds, and prefer the cutting style of the H Stern stones. I think it has the dreaded "window". The stone on the ring below also has that look. For a light colored, pastel-ish stone, I love that look, and I may go with an amethyst, like in the ebay piece, or I've also seen it IRL with rose quartz and smoky quartz, which looks a lot moodier.

It will likely take a long time for me to get this going as I have a couple projects in progress. I will definitely come back when I get started. I was just wondering if something like this would even be possible. I would have bought this ring when I saw it all those years ago if I knew I would still be thinking about it so many years later.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just went back to the H. Stern website and examined the one they have in their collections now, and it's a clear stone, rock crystal, in their cobblestone collection. And what I love about this ring is the cut of the stone. Do you think it's stupid to even try to ask a cutter to mimic the cut of these cobblestone cut gems? If I only knew then what I know now. If anything, a specific cut is hard to achieve. Maybe I just need to keep an eye out on this collection and see when the produce it in stones I like and just buy the original. I actually like the one on ebay but it's a size 8, and I'm a 4.5. Do you think that attempting to resize that is just asking for trouble?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results