shape
carat
color
clarity

Sotheby's to Sell 93.94-ct Paraiba Tourmaline

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Call me a peasant, but...

It's big and clean and beautifully coloured. But, looking at the pictures, I don't see the magic Paraiba glow. I've always suspected that the inclusions found in 'lesser' Paraibas are crucial to making the glow.

Sez me, who doesn't own any Paraiba...

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Then this clean (?) one shows the glow.
That's more like it! Though I'm suspecting that the directional lighting may be helping.

Or like this color, my favorite color in paraiba.
So is that! That slightly aqua blue is my absolutely idea of Paraiba colour.

I'm wondering whether both of these are being helped by micro-inclusions that spread the light around a bit - same principle as Kashmir sapphire. On the other hand, this may be just a bit of fogginess in the pictures.

But maybe I'm wrong about inclusions - maybe it's only cabs that benefit from them (to increase and smooth out the light return), while faceted Paraibas don't need them, because reflection from the pavilion does the job.

All the trillions!

mozparaiba3.jpg

For what little it's worth (all this is entirely academic to me!), only the middle right one seems to have 'the look'. Middle left might be good from a better angle. The others, and the first group, don't seem to have the glow. But I await @T L , who actually knows something about Paraibas...

Last edited:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
@Starstruck8 i agree. I think you are referring to the glow?

I thought “windex” blue doesn’t have much green undertone? I know that not everyone likes the same thing but I prefer blue. Gosh I really would like to study them closely.

I saw bluish zircons in person. They could look great with light but I am just not very excited when they’re not, too much greenish grayish blue. Perhaps I have seen a great one yet!?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call me a peasant, but...

It's big and clean and beautifully coloured. But, looking at the pictures, I don't see the magic Paraiba glow. I've always suspected that the inclusions found in 'lesser' Paraibas are crucial to making the glow.

Sez me, who doesn't own any Paraiba...

It’s a beautiful stone no doubt about that, but I’m an emerald girl so I always think “oh I’ll just pay for an emerald and get a green glow which is preferable for me” :lol-2:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
It’s a beautiful stone no doubt about that, but I’m an emerald girl so I always think “oh I’ll just pay for an emerald and get a green glow which is preferable for me” :lol-2:

Haha, I have had the same thought , @mellowyellowgirl.
Re: @Neptune ‘s comment about zircon and other alternatives, I’d like to share this article.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: @Neptune ‘s comment about zircon and other alternatives, I’d like to share this article.

Neither looks particularly glowy to me Crimson! And they look so similar you could just go and raid around for an attractive indicolite tourmaline if you were so inclined! I’m expecting Minerva levels of glow in the paraiba colour which so few stones actually deliver!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like how you can just pop it out to play with it:

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 3.18.30 PM.png

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

Without reading the text, my eyes went straight to the left. I see the difference and it's too bad that the indicolite ain't great.

BTW, who spends that kind of $ buying them w/o report(s), eh?

317_Fig1_Perfect-match_Paraiba-Indicolite-jpgw.jpg

That left 1 reminds me of these. The faceted one is taken from Leon Megé.

thumbnail_IMG_1907.jpg Paraiba-Brazil_illustration_leon_megew.jpg

Then away from proper lights, I think they might both look like this, which reminds me of the indicolite.

1698034068676.png

Zircon, apatite, aquamarine, topaz, & indicolite might scratch the itch? Sigh, guess I really have to see it to believe it. Someday.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L You a great person to learn from and I'm curious if you think these tones would be too dark without light. I don't know much but am wondering if zircon would be a good substitute for years now...?

Lower left + upper right
IMG_3520.jpg

All the trillions!

mozparaiba3.jpg

NaturalMesume.jpeg

Sorry that I don't remember where these photos are from at the moment.

The only stone that looks neon paraiba to me is in the second photo, second row, the fat pear (or is that a trillion?).

Blue zircon is nice, but it does abrade easily, if you’re looking for an indicolite substitute.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results