shape
carat
color
clarity

Sotheby’s Watch auction - A Swatch watch - OMG

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swatch watches are apparently collectible. There have been many many many designs and styles since 1983 but they are all just basic plastic watches with a quartz movement.
I bought an intriguing one, known as BunnySutra, in 2004. I paid $90 US online. It was never worn, I liked the idea of the watch, but the reality is I hate plastic and it didn’t sit nicely on my wrist. So into the drawer it went.
I re-found it just this week. Still in the box with papers but dead as a dodo. Even the best quartz battery isn’t going to last 18 years. I honestly thought the old battery would have leaked and wrecked it but fortunately it was A OK with a new battery installed.
I figured I’ll sell it, never worn it and never likely to either. So how much is an 18 odd year old plastic swatch watch worth.
$50 ?
So I’ll do some research. Well, according to Sothebys Fine Watch auction in 2021 (who would have ever thought an old plastic Swatch watch would be in the catalogue) one sold for $3,150 US plus commission. So at least two crazy people were bidding. Seriously! That one didn’t even have the box or papers!
Check your old swatch watches peoples, apparently people pay outrageous prices for them.
480AD1DF-A65A-4906-AEFB-B2E4E32AB9B5.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never had one
i just had regular old casio

Saddly my sakio i got for my 21st (in um er 1992) from my aunty and uncle had the battery leak and it cost me $300 for a new spindle
I just never wore it as my job required too much rough unlady like work plus i was always washing a lot of dirt of ny hands and the casio was waterproof (lasted 20 years till it just dyed from a life time of hard work and just wore out

The sako is again just sitting in the drawer

Im impressed your swatch feared a lot better
It will be interesting to see what you can get for it
Yah for keeping the box and its paper work

e2the3rd

Brilliant_Rock
Wowzers! That must have been a very rare one, but still!

I loooove swatch watches. I picked up a 1980s all white one a couple years ago. Back in the day I was obsessed. Besides watches and the jelly watch guards, I had a swatch swimsuit, sweatshirt, I think I had the clear umbrella with the watch parts, and the multicolor two-way telephone — that was the coolest thing bc my friends could come over and we’d have a three-way call (some catty gossipy eavesdropping behavior may have occurred as well). Didn’t have the wall clock swatch though

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy crap. I had like 12 of these growing up. No idea they’re worth so much money now. Good lord. Wish I saved all my 80s stuff. I’d be banking.

Wish we had saved all the 80s stuff full stop
because we could dress up and have some fun girl !

Can you still buy orange eye shadow ?

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Wish we had saved all the 80s stuff full stop
because we could dress up and have some fun girl !

Can you still buy orange eye shadow ?

The poofy hair, the LA Gear sneakers and puffy socks, the crazy colors. So glad I was an 80s kid. (I do wish I saved those Swatches tho, cause I would sell the heck out of them now!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought only one, when I did not have a watch on me by mistake when I was at the airport on my way to somewhere.

So I bought a cheapo Swatch with a metal strap to tie me over as I hate not having a watch even now.

I believe I gave it away to a charity shop recently.

DK :))

Zarya

Rough_Rock
I bought this exact bunny Swatch for my cousin. Her birthday wasn't for three months, so I stowed it in the bottom drawer of my dresser. When the time came to get it out and wrap it, there were over a hundred watches in there!

pammbw

Rough_Rock
That watch is awesome! Wish they would reissue it. Maybe in 2024 they can do a 20th anniversary edition? So many more positions left to explore…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results