shape
carat
color
clarity

SOS! NEED PICS OF D, E, F & G DIAMONDS STAT!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Hey Yall!
Please post your pictures of your diamonds / of colors
d, e, f and g. Preferably taken in daylight so I can see the differences.
Can decide between the colors! Want super super white color from all sides!!!!

THanks a lot! Muchas Gracias! Merci! Duncashin!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Not a practical solution to your problem...a photo of 4 well cut rounds shot face up, side-by-side would probably look identical in color.

As a rough "rule of thumb", my personal preference is.............

For a round of excellent cut, if you want a really, really white looking stone of 0.5ct. and less you could go with D,E,F... for 0.75 - 1.5ct. stick with D or E...above 1.5ct. keep it D.

Just curious, why you want it to be super, super white from all sides?...once a stone is set you don't see it from the pavilion side (the way diamonds are color graded) - but you may see it from the side with some settings.

You will save some $ if you go with the apparent color to your eye in the face up position.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
You want to be able to discern what sort of color you need or don't need in a stone? Go into your local neighborhood store that sells 'ideal' cut stones or similar and line 'em up. Pictures will never tell the true story. Lighting and photography are not the way to figure out which color diamond suits you best. Get into a store and see stones in person.

But if you feel like looking at some pictures of stones, you will find all you need in the Show Me the Ring Forum where everyone posts their ring pictures....they would be the same pictures everyone would post here anyway.

From what you have said in other posts, I have a feeling you'd only be happy with a D color stone. That way you can be SURE there's absolutely NO COLOR from ANY possible angle.

Good luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure wether you will really settle only for a D color (unless you know that knowing there is a whiter shade out there will make you diamond a burden). But the pictures below are trying to show that diamond color is not well represented by pictures. The "pairs" were taken from two websites (the rounds from one source and the princesses from another) and neither the good intentions or the professional approach of the sources is a disaster: it is simply not feasible to capture those slight color shades.

colors.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gary, Mara, & Val give sound advice...

Diamonds are viewed through the pavilion when grading body color...

The hues are very subtle but gradually make an impact as you move down the color scale...

Gary points out face up and once set, depending on the metal you use will also have an impact...Bring all other things into the picture like handcream , hairspray, and other oils a diamond will rarely display it's graded color...

Cut has the Greatest impact on diamond performance and the dispersion of spectral colors ...

Body color will make an impact if you have an eye for it and have a lower graded stone next to a D, but face up especially in the color range you are looking at, you will be hard pressed to see a difference..

The difference between D, E in most cases takes a run through the colormeter and is even hard for some professionals to distinguish the small nuance in hue...

A well cut face up diamond will always impact a stone over body color..If you absolutely have to have a D..than maybe trade a little off in clarity and get yourself a VS-2 or eye clean si-1 to save yourself some money...

Hope the chart helps...
wavey.gif

COLORCHART9.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HELP!!!!

Isn't there color added in the pictures with the most "colored" diamonds? Maybe a more technically knowledgeable person can prove/disprove this. The progressive yellow-ness of the background and pixel patterns got me thinking. After all, something that yellow would border "fancy intense".

Besides, just another example may show what I mean. At the bottom of this link there is a picture of a fancy light yellow near a D: and the fancy yellow is not nearly as "yellow" as the "M" in the pictures above. The same author posts one more down HERE with an intense yellow looking faded against the "O" above.

Of course, the general conclusion remains that *PICTURES FROM THE NET ARE NOT A DIAMOND GRADING TOOL*. This post is just a parenthesis...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
From the pics, the D has body color. So, one is too assume that all the color is off. But, the scale & subtle color diff. seems to be in line.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 1/4/2004 6:42:40 AM valeria101 wrote:

HELP!!!!

Isn't there color added in the pictures with the most 'colored' diamonds? Maybe a more technically knowledgeable person can prove/disprove this. The progressive yellow-ness of the background and pixel patterns got me thinking. After all, something that yellow would border 'fancy intense'.

Of course, the general conclusion remains that *PICTURES FROM THE NET ARE NOT A DIAMOND GRADING TOOL*. This post is just a parenthesis...
----------------

Hi Val...The picture is just shown as a representation. The proper background and lighting environment is also crucial. A master set of stones is used and there is also a device called a colorimeter, which I mentioned earlier./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Keep in mind that the variation in your monitor also might play a role in how body color in these pictures are perceived.../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Your examples are also comparing diamonds, which cross over into different nuances of grading./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

The main difference is colorless/near diamonds are graded through the pavilion and fancy colored diamonds are graded face up through the crown. Cut influences the color quite a bit especially in a fancy colored diamond face up. Certain diamonds which might be graded a "low color" through the pavilion are graded a fancy color face up. Hue is crucial. The shape and cutting style can affect the intensity or evenness of color. When cutting fancies, certain tricks of cutting angles can darken the appearance or intensify the color in the face up position. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

A faint to light color other than yellowish or brownish is considered a fancy color. The GIA D-Z scale is used to grade diamonds with yellowish & brownish tints. Fancies are beyond the D-Z color scale./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

The examples you use are noted but in comparison to the pictures I posted they were pictures taken to represent color in a controlled environment face down perpendicular to the girdle. The stones you point example to are shown face up and were graded in a different environment using a different method of grading because they are fancies.../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

In recent years I believe the GIA has adopted new grading criteria when grading fancies and reports are coming back more stringent than in years past.

The GIA color grading system is a consistent representation to stone grading if used properly and interpreted correctly.

21.gif
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is from Garry aka CutNut... Here ya go.

colorWD.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is exactly what I expected to see, Mara! Those surely give a good intuition of what a J 'color' looks like vs. a D unless one spreads nail polish on the monitor

2.gif
/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

And I would not be making so much noise if I didn't feel that 90% of such "color guides" are innocently showing unrealistically strong color in H-J's. I know that such faint shades are very hard to represent with one tone only, as opposed the range of tones used to picture a 3D diamond: but why exaggerate?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]> /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

No way a M-O color is going to use lemon peel as camouflage, face up or face down. Actually, fancy diamonds are supposed to show LESS color face down, so saying that some graphical representation of color showing diamonds face-down exaggerates the tint of low color grades, is surely not looking better against a sample showing the same face up!/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

I hope Josh would help me clarify some of the notes below. Otherwise, I risk to keep some really sorry mistakes... here goes: /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

About:/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

"Certain diamonds which might be graded a "low color" through the pavilion are graded a fancy color face up.[…] Cut influences the color quite a bit especially in a fancy colored diamond face up. "/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Not sure this is so: anything until Z is graded as colorless are (Z is the last color in the range, I guess). Some people insist to call Y-Z "fancy light" and those surely are yellow, no matter how one looks at them. The preceding color grades (the "capes") are give as split grades (O-P, or whatever) and fancy color grades themselves are much wiser than the whites (some say that "fancy yellow" would be about 3 shades if converted in numbers, I hope someone could comment further, this is just repeated hearsay since I am no grader). Therefore, the chance of the face-up face-down difference in apparent color is not going to have such a major impact. After all, borderline fancies do have borderline prices as well. I would not expect one $1 of diamond market value to go unseen

1.gif
./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

So: low color being T and fancy color "Fancy yellow" : no way turning the diamond upside down is going to make that much of a difference. If a fancy light borders fancy yellow, you can bet it is going to be priced as a fancy yellow and given the well-known myth of "wide color grades" this pricing practice is alive and well from Boston to Berlin.../www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

BUT, then comes the cut: "a great cut makes rounds whiter" and the "radiant deepens color" (these are the two most popular observations I remember, and are surely both hidden in plain sight on Pricescope too). Sure so: only the first statements regards colorless or near colorless grades - these are so narrow that side by side become easily confounded and demand disclaimers from professional graders when the stones are mounted. Surely the sparkle of a great cut can blur such faint distinction, if the mounting can in even average stones. On the other hand, the second statement refers to the wider, fancy grades: not sure about the other features of the radiant cut, but the traditional big depth surely helps color look better. The depth of the cut deepens color in any gem material. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

You say: “The GIA color grading system is a consistent representation to stone grading if used properly and interpreted correctly”/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Surely there are professional tools to grade diamonds, but how many diamond stores will line up diamond in front of you to help the customer choose what color grade he can live with? I know it would be great to have a GIA color set under, proper, brand new control grading lights on my desk ( = quite a few rather large rounds J ) … All too often those lemon-yellow representation of “near colorless” grades seem to scare people into the D-F range or whatever notion of “best diamond” one store seems to love best. I guess high color is easier to sell than a great cut /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>- // -/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Oh well, Josh, What is that hot, green, new wander in your avatar?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Again Val…

wavey.gif

Diamonds that have enough color present to become fancy colors are specifically cut to enhance their face-up color appearance. There is color graining and zoning within the diamond crystal of a fancy and a different approach is purposely taken to cutting these same diamonds to bring out the depth of color. Darkness in a lighter color fancy may make you perceive more color while darkness in a colorless stone will just seem less brilliant. Fancy colored diamonds are graded by the color they look like, face-up

It is more difficult to cut a round diamond and make it look darker than to alter the performance of a radiant to make it a deeper color appearance. A round brilliant cut fancy will appear much lighter in saturation than a radiant cut.

I recently read an article pertaining to fancy diamonds and being graded face up.The GIA graded this stone as A fancy intense yellow. It was an Octagonal .The color shows a relatively light but intense color face-up.
The stone was then graded through the pavillion (by a grader and by the SAS2000). This same diamond through the pavillion graded as an "X-color” disqualifying it from being a fancy color all together, but rather light yellow.
The Octagonal cut cut provides such concentrated and intense color area face-up, that GIA graded it "intense".

GIA does not seem to publish precise guidelines and I'm also taking into account what is considered borderline between the grades. It really depends on the stone and the color in combination with the color modifiers which are present in most fancy color diamonds.
21.gif

Y-Z are considered tinted colors. The same round graded a y-z might very well obtain the “light fancy” grade when submitted to the GIA. The color must be stronger and attractive to be considered fancy color. The GIA courses and criteria seem to focus more on the grading of near colorless diamonds and spend less time on the grading of fancies…

sad.gif

From what I have read and what I have learned it is very subjective and there are many different combinations in fancies with modifying colors which can make a stone really beautiful, but these same modifying colors contribute to a decrease in price per ct. in some cases compared to receiving a straight grade in certain colors.

Getting late here

snore.gif
, but let’s continue this and also hear from Rich or Dave or anyone else..
wacko.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hey Val…

I know you didn’t specifically ask but here are some clips from other threads concerning the cutting of fancies the 1st is from Dave Atlas and the second is from Diamonds by Lauren..

(Dave Atlas)

Once there is a lot of body color, the entire system changes. Again this favors the cutter and dealer. In fancy colored diamonds it is face-up color that is used by the labs to grade diamonds. Cutters have ways of making Q-R yellow colors into Light Fancy colors. It is very much a game of knowing the optics of the material, getting a welcomed result, and the financial aspects of how to get the best return on the investment.

(Diamonds by Lauren)

AS far as cut of fancy color diamonds: there's so many little tricks the cutters can use to increase color. There are times a cutter submits the stone to GIA, gets, for example, a Fancy Yellow. Since the cutter is convinced he's got an intense, he'll work a little more on the stone and re-submit. in many cases the color can be improved enough to get the next darker ( more expensive) grade. Most of these "tricks" invlove facets on the bottom of the stone. Round diamonds, IMO, never look as good as colorless Rounds.
Radiant, pear, oval really look great in fancy colors- there are a wide variety of depth and tables that look good on these shapes- generally, fancy color diamonds have large tables ( 65-80%) and many of these look really good.

wavey.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 1/4/2004 1:56:15 PM Mara wrote:

----------------

Hey Mara...Neat Photo's...

Different angle than side on perpendicular to the girdle...

At this angle notice how the color is more prominent towards the tip of the cutlet and around the edges of the girdle..

1.gif

Summer

Rough_Rock
Whitediamonds, the best way to see the colors is to go to a local store and see the colors in person. This is the best frame of reference, especially if you plan to eventually place an order via the web.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 1/5/2004 4:28:56 AM Colored Gemstone Nut wrote:

----------------
On 1/4/2004 1:56:15 PM Mara wrote:

----------------

Hey Mara...Neat Photo's...

Different angle than side on perpendicular to the girdle...

At this angle notice how the color is more prominent towards the tip of the cutlet and around the edges of the girdle..

1.gif

----------------

Hi Josh,

I took that photo with normal 35mm film some years back.
The orientation is the correct one for color grading - you do not look parallel to the girdle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results