shape
carat
color
clarity

sorting out the shady from the good guys

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been reading this board a lot to become knowledgable before making a purchase. I''ve learned a lot, so thanks all!

I keep reading that there are some "shady" or less than reputible internet dealers out there. I want to buy over the internet, so am trying to determine how to make sure that I''m buying from an honest and reputable internet dealer rather than one of those with lesser creditials. I am also finding that some seem to be "drop-shippers" while some cut and/or hold their own inventory. Any advice one the goods and bads of either of these, and how I can determine that I am dealing with one of the "good guys"?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
One way of finding the "good guys" is to find their accountability group.

For example, the consumers who frequent this forum would be quick to point out any shady dealings from the vendors who also frequent this forum. They would be "blacklisted" in short order.

Non "drop shippers" tend to be a little more knowledgeable and personally involved with their merchandise, but that certainly doesn't eliminate "drop shippers" from the competition. I've seen plenty of gorgeous stones from them as well, at good prices.

If you do your homework ahead of time to eliminate poor performers, and then enlist the aid of an appraiser when it comes down to the "nitty gritty", you'll have a hard time losing. May the best stone win, whether it comes from a "drop shipper", a "non drop shipper" or a savvy traditional jeweler.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
What you should care about is not so much the reputation of the seller, or the method that he gets stones, but in having the stone checked to make sure its represented accurately, and that it has the characteristics you want and expect for your money

The stone that you get is what is paramount to your successfully picking the right stone, not a perceived reputation ( although it does help in some instances).

Have the stone checked BEFORE you lay out any money. Then you don't have to worry about getting your deposit back.

Rockdoc

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
While I agree with the Pros who've responded regarding independent verification, I'd like to add a consumer comment regarding the PS vendor I dealt with.

I compared 2 diamonds from White Flash in my decision making process. I paid for both prior to shipment as I was having them sent directly to me. I had them independently verified, selected one, and shipped both diamonds back to White Flash. White Flash PROMPTLY refunded the purchase price of the second diamond. I received my gorgeous, custom made, diamond pendant from White Flash a couple days later.

Search the Forum threads by entering the names of Vendors you might choose to do business with. You will see how other people were treated, what their experience was, and you can determine if the vendor is reputable.
1.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdoc is right , have an independent like himself take a look at it first if your uncomfortable with what your buying. No matter if your buying from the devil himself , if its the right price and the right product thats the deal.

The consumers have limited knowlege the pros know the tricks and tips. Kind of like getting a second person to look at a car your going to buy.

Everybody here thinks they are a Saint
1.gif

You all would be surprised on how many internet dealers work out of their bedroom in there PJ's , have only a list of diamonds that they do not own that are written on a piece of paper and not any education ,on what they are selling only a list and a lab #. Funny what a good looking web page makes people think about a company.

These are people you send money too that might not be there the next day!

Becareful , The internet is not a safe place.

People like Rockdoc help weed out these kind of people .

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
When you do your homework
And read sites like this
You'll get expert advice
That you just shouldn't miss

Reputable dealers will receive much aclaim
And those that are shady
Will surely get blame!

Keep reading....you'll find out who the "good guys" are!
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your advice. As I read on, some vendors come out loud and clear on this forum as being reputable. Others don't seem to really show up -- good or bad.
confused.gif

Any advice on an independent lab in the West Coast to have a stone sent to?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results