shape
carat
color
clarity

sorry so many setting questions....but-

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
are the Tiffany diamonds cut "wider" on top? why is it that the Tiffany setting appears to blossom outwards, and other settings all seem to stretch upwards. I have had diamond dealers tell me all kinds of reasons why the setting should stretch up. They say it allows more light to shine through it etc....but plain and simple- I don''t like the look. Why is Tiffany able to have a wider, shorter setting, and everyone else seems to only be able to offer a more closed, taller setting??????

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gift~

I saw your previous posts with no response. Just curious about the other rings. Did you see them with diamonds actually set? That really makes a difference. Most sets in the case don't have diamonds and the prongs stick straight up. When the gold/platinum smith works the head to set the diamond, the prongs change.

As to your question in this post,.... A skilled craftsman can get you the look you want. I have an extremely thick topped, invisible set platinum band. I picked a standard semi-mount with .66 carat bag and prin diamond side accents. The jeweler built up the bridge on my e-ring. That raised the mounting head above the top of the band so the prongs don't hit the band and the rings sit flush with one another. And, my prongs flair like you are talking. Narrow at the bottom, spreading out like a tulip to the stone above. This was no small task as the semi-mount, the bridge work, and the head are all platinum. The finished product was nothing short of miraculous and a marvel of quality workmanship.

Just a thought for you that you might ask an expert about.
2.gif

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
hi-
thanks for responding. yes, the settings i saw had a diamond in them. exactly the diamond i was looking for- but i couldn't bring myself to love it- b/c the setting wasn't right. do you have pics of your setting from the side by any chance? if it is wide like you say- and delicate- and not branching out from within the band itself- that would provide alot of comfort for me. just knowing it is POSSIBLE- will be a nice stress reliever. thanks!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Scanner pics as that was quickest. Hope these show what you need to know.

And, BTW, I am an odd duck. My gemstone is a pear emerald.
9.gif

DiamondEmeraldPlatinumBand1.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Another view.
1.gif

DiamondEmeraldPlatinumBand2.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Last view from the top. Pardon the cropping and my long fingers.
16.gif

DiamondEmeraldPlatinumBand4.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
One more to show how thick the top of the band really is and what the jeweler had to build up to.
2.gif

DiamondEmeraldPlatinumBand3.jpg

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
thank you so much for posting pics! that is very kind. i guess my troubles remain the same. i want the Tiffany setting. it is extremely simple, and classic, and it is exactly what i am looking for. perhaps if i had never seen it before, i could fall in love with other six prong settings. but i have seen it- and i can't get it out of my head. hopefully there is someone out there who can truly replicate it. otherwise i may never have a ring at all!

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
gift...

I think you should go with the Tiffany setting, even though you will get a smaller and lower quality diamond for the price.... Diamond buying is all about personal preference and you seem to value the setting at approximately $8k above any other setting.... that is good - I like the setting too, but to me the value was not that high ...

Hope this helps !

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Just another thought for you. Have you contacted the folks at Trade Shop? They are wizards at crafting custom made rings. They are a Price Scope vendor. Try checking out their website, look at the many great pics of wonderful work they've done for so many others. If TS or another quality, gifted craftsman can't help you with a replica, then do go Tiffany for the set.

This purchase is much more than rocks and metal. There is a disproportionate amount of emotion invested as well. Sometimes the heart leads where the mind says don't go. Your heart loves the Tiffany set. Your mind says that's too much money for the same size diamond.

Sooooo many people here make some sort of compromise before reaching the final purchase. For some, it's color. For some, it's clarity. For some, it's carat weight. For a lot of people, it's a combination of factors. Your choice seems fairly clear, barring finding a replica. Either pay more money or give up some carat weight. That's a decision only you can make.

My heartfelt best wishes to you as you make a very tough decision.
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Does this look like the setting you're looking for? This is a reproduction I considered buying. You can PM me for details if you want.

juantiff.jpg

sparklelvr

Rough_Rock
You should look up the setting by anna magdelena. Her ring looks very similiar to what you described as the tiffany setting.

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
do you know where i could see the anna magdalena setting? i did a google search, and turned up empty.

thanks!

sparklelvr

Rough_Rock
Giftgoddess
In the forum section for this board under "Show me the ring". The author Scorpion has an "e-ring eye candy folder". RIght now it's about 4 pages long. On the 2nd page about third person down he has pictures from another poster from this board named "annamagdelena" there are 4 photos posted. It's stated she got her ring locally but maybe you could contact her for her jeweler info if this is similiar to what you are looking for. Her setting seems very close to Tiffany because the prongs don't shoot straight up but instead round out (blossom outwards) and that ring would sit flush next to a setting and it is low set. It is in yellow gold where you probably saw the real Tiffnay in platinum, but I hope this helps.
sparklelvr

AnnaMagdalena

Rough_Rock
Hi giftgoddess,
I too was in love with the real Tiffany setting but for our budget the center stone would've been much smaller if we had bought from there! I looked everywhere and searched a billion websites; I don't like high prong settings, I don't like the way the prongs are usually matchstick-like, instead of a little rounded, and I don't like the way the typical prong setting juts out of the band. I'm picky!

As my other thread says, I found my setting from Derco Jewelers in San Francisco. The setting definitely comes in platinum and also in white gold, I believe. Style# J283544.

I'm very happy with it and have gotten a lot of compliments on the simplicity and elegance of it. I know that it's not exactly like the Tiff. & Co one, but the things that are similar were the things that mattered to me: the height and angle of prongs, knife edge, etc. In person, in regular scale, I truly like it just as much. (I did try on a Tiffany & Co. one on.)

Good luck!!! I hope you solve your setting dilemma somehow!
-Anna Magdalena

giftgoddess

Rough_Rock
anna-
thank you so much- this is definitely the closest i have seen as far as "tiffany copies" go. i am in nyc however, and would need to see it in person before i decided to go with it. i am going to give them a call and see what they say about that. maybe they have an east coast distributor or vendor or something.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results