shape
carat
color
clarity

Soon to buy and need help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DavTN

Rough_Rock
Hi all, first of all thanks to everyone for contributing to a great source of information. I have been lurking here for awhile and learned a great deal.

I plan on purchasing an e-ring soon and have a few questions. Obviously I would like to get the best value so I am trying to decide if I should buy the stone online for cost reasons and buy the ring at a B&M, or both at a B&M and pay more for the stone and less for the ring, but hope the total package price will be equal.

The reason for the question is that I cannot find the ring I want online. It is a Viken's 8805-LDD in platnium. Do any of you know an online dealer for Viken's?

The stone I would like is around the 1 - 1.4C, D-G in color, VS1-SI2(eye clean with nothing under the table,) and a great cut. The ring runs about $1300 and my range on the stone is up to $6000. Do all dealers have sarin reports for the crown and pavillion angles? Are there any online vendors that I should stay away from? Last question, I know there is a debate concerning the differences between 4 prongs and 6, but could those that have had problems with either please let me know their views.

Thanks much,
DavTN

DigDug

Rough_Rock
DavTN,

I am going through the same experiences you are, B&M vs. Net Dealers. Here are my opinions on a few of your questions.

1. About the Sarin reports and crown and pavillion angles. I find that almost ALL the net dealers I have been working with have the information you are looking for but not everyone puts it on the web. For instance, I have found websites that have the sarin report, 30X magnification images of the actual diamond inclusions, ideal scope photo's, etc. I have also found websites with grainy scans of GIA certificates and thats pretty much it. I have been shopping at BlueNile for a month or so because I like their company and customer service. They do not have the Saring reports online. A few of their GIA or AGSL reports have included the crown and pavillion angles and I can squint out the information. I suggest the following: Find a diamond that appears to match your criteria and call for the additional information. If they cant give it to you I would move on to another dealer. You going to be spending a bundle and their customer service people should NOT make you feel like its a big hassel to pull up this information.

2. Vendor to avoid. I'm still a newbie so I cant offer names of companies to avoid. I DO strongly suggest you avoid Net dealers that have return policies that dont fit your needs. I generally try to find places with around 30 day return policy. Ask if they charge a restock fee. Also ask what return shipping they accept.

3. I have been in the 4 vs. 6 prong debate myself. I am getting a smaller diamond (.7 in size) so I have been paying careful attention to the prong preferences of all my friends. Generally I find the following to be true (again, just my opinions)
a. Anything Under .75 should be considered 4 prong setting due to its size and the symatry the prongs have against the diamond.
b. 6 prongs do provide additional protection but I have heard many different opinions on the AMOUNT of protection it provides. I have been told that an incident that would remove a diamond from a 4 prong setting would probably do the same to a 6 prong. Prong count for me has turned into an asthetic quality rather than security.
c. Always look at the diamond in the setting with 4 vs. 6 if possible. Often website will provide images of diamonds in the settings. Study the shape of the diamond once set. Some people find the 4 prongs give smaller diamonds a "square" appearance. Other think 6 prongs hide the diamond.
After all is said and done I consider prong number to be a matter of personal taste.

Other hints:
If you buying a diamond from the Net I strongly suggest you purchase a diamond LOOSE even if the company has the ring you want. Take the loose diamond to have it independantly appraised.

I suggest purchasing the ring from a local jeweler you trust. They may not have got you as a customer for the diamond but they should still welcome you as a customer for the ring and setting. Any good business will welcome your money, great or small in amount.

It never hurts to ask... anything you want... when you spend this much money.

Just my two cents... good luck in your shopping!

DigDug

gmg

Rough_Rock
I have to say a big THANK YOU Pricescope & Whiteflash.com who helped me learn everything about buying a diamond. I just recieved my diamond from Whiteflash.com 1.02 IF E color 61.6%depth 57%table 15%pavillion, EX EX and no culet.$7,000. It was appraised two hours after i got it at Baily Banks & Biddle which is where she wanted her ring from, with a Scott Kay designer setting, platinum, of course. This store would have wanted $17,500.00 if i bought it there. Hey i was born at night but not last night. You are not cheap buy buying a stone online...you are being savvy. My diamond and the setting were appraised at almost $20,000.00...19,700 to be exact. Whitflash.com was excellent to deal with THANK YOU so much. Oh by the way the diamond i bought was certified by EGL and to me the money i saved from not buying a GIA is worth it to me. Thanks again Pricescope and Whiteflash.com
Greg G.
New York

DavTN

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. I am going to look further online and buy the ring locally.

DavTN

DigDug

Rough_Rock
Good luck DaveTN, be sure to let us know how it goes!

DigDug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results