shape
carat
color
clarity

Sometimes, I really hate flying.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I've flown A LOT in the past three years. A LOT. I don't always love the crowds, the delays or the turbulance, but in general, it's always been a good experience.

We flew back from a week's holiday in Cape Town on Tuesday afternoon. On a completely seperate side note, Cape Town is an awesome city! I LOVED it. I could live there. But back to my issue at hand. When we got home Tuesday night, we immediately went to dinner with friends. It was late when I unloaded our bags and I basically dumped everything into the laundry basket. On Wednesday, I decided to do some wash and noticed that I was missing one of my favorite cardigans and the tank I wear under it. I was REALLY irritated with myself for not checking the hotel room better when we checked out, though I couldn't imagine how I could overlook it as DH did a good job making sure we didn't miss anything. I chalked it up to lesson learned. I was getting dressed for dinner tonight and started digging for another top I took with me that wasn't really worn on the trip. I couldn't find it. So I dumped the leftover laundry out again and looked all thru it. It's gone. I specifically remember packing it. I KNOW it was there.

I'm reasonably certain someone STOLE SOME OF MY CLOTHES. From my bag! I never, ever put valuables or electronics in my bags as I know things can be stolen, but clothes! Where the heck else am I supposed to put them? I would have carried on, but I had liquids and gels.... Sigh. At least they didn't steal all of them......

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same thing happened when we went to Cuba. Ironically, my family and I always roll our eyes at people that use those big saran wrap machines that are really popular in South/Latin America. Not sure if they even have them anymore but this was a long time ago. Well joke was on my dad and brother b/c they got ALL of their clothes stolen. Luckily for us we concluded only men must have been working b/c my sister, mom, and my stuff was all untouched. Well, rifled through, but not missing.

ETA: This was when you could still have luggage locks. They cut the zippers off of all of our suitcases. :nono:

April20

Ideal_Rock
They actually had the saran wrap machine thingys at the Cape Town airport. I should have seen how much it cost. I've never used locks because it causes TSA havoc in the States, but geez, here I guess it's worth it! We're leaving next Thursday to fly back home to ATL and I'm seriously considering saran wrapping our bags before we go to the airport so that more of my stuff doesn't disappear. Lesson learned for sure!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Wait, wait, wait. Delayed reaction here. Tacori, HOW did you go to Cuba?? Did you go thru Canada or Mexico? We've been scheming how to travel to Cuba. People's minds are blown here when we explain we can't legally go...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will not confirm or deny. :cheeky: Cancun, Mexico. The locks don't help b/c like I said they just cut our zipper pulls off so we were also left with broken suitcases! Saran Wrap is worth it. There is a reason they sell that service unfortunately.

April20

Ideal_Rock
One more question.... Did they stamp your passport in Cuba or did they not so they can keep people coming on the sly?

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine used to fly a lot to a place in South America where having things stolen out of checked baggage was common. She also liked to bring back certain kinds of food items that you weren't supposed to bring back to the U.S. (I think it was some kind of ham or cured meat). Her solution was to pack her bag, and then empty a box of new tampons onto the top and spread them all over so that you'd have to move them to inspect or rifle through her luggage. It worked like a charm every time.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
In Egypt all the luggage of a friend was stolen. He was so mad, he refused to buy all new clothes, so wore a dish-dash the entire month.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1322251592|3068757 said:
One more question.... Did they stamp your passport in Cuba or did they not so they can keep people coming on the sly?

I believe we paid them not too :confused: This was awhile ago, but there was not "Cuba" stamp as our gov't would not look too kindly on that. ;))

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
I had a customs officer in Spain steal my Armani watch from the tray after it went through the machine, the tray!
Couldn't believe it :nono:

April20

Ideal_Rock
maplefemme|1322274020|3068920 said:
I had a customs officer in Spain steal my Armani watch from the tray after it went through the machine, the tray!

Now that's just blatant and awful! Unbelievable!

April20

Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1322258231|3068788 said:
A friend of mine used to fly a lot to a place in South America where having things stolen out of checked baggage was common. She also liked to bring back certain kinds of food items that you weren't supposed to bring back to the U.S. (I think it was some kind of ham or cured meat). Her solution was to pack her bag, and then empty a box of new tampons onto the top and spread them all over so that you'd have to move them to inspect or rifle through her luggage. It worked like a charm every time.

Ha ha ha. I may try this just for kicks!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Well, i just thought of a positive. I had three bottles of wine packed in the other bag that they didnt go thru. At least they didnt take my wine. Now THAT would have sent me over the edge.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
April20|1322248503|3068733 said:
Wait, wait, wait. Delayed reaction here. Tacori, HOW did you go to Cuba?? Did you go thru Canada or Mexico? We've been scheming how to travel to Cuba. People's minds are blown here when we explain we can't legally go...

Why can't you go to Cuba?

April20

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1322412939|3069512 said:
April20|1322248503|3068733 said:

Why can't you go to Cuba?

The US has had a trade embargo in place against Cuba since the 1960's. Basically, the US isnt friends with Cuba and US citizens are not allowed to contribute money towards their economy in any way. So no Cuban holidays, no Cuban rum or cigars..... They've even cracked down in recent years on US citizens traveling to Cuba to visit relatives or sending them money. If a US citizen wants to visit Cuba you have to go thru a back door. Basically fly to Canada or Mexico and fly to Cuba seperately from there.

Here's a Wikipedia article on the history of the embargo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargo_against_Cuba

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
April20|1322289108|3069015 said:
maplefemme|1322274020|3068920 said:

Now that's just blatant and awful! Unbelievable!

They had it down to a fine art... I have never been asked to tray watches, sunglasses, etc before, and because two of them made me stand back whilst they went through my carry-on and tray; you know they are in it together, who can you even complain to!? :rolleyes:
Ah well, live and learn, I don't take valuables overseas anymore.
Good they at least left you the wine!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainwood|1322258231|3068788 said:

hahaha! On a similar note- my friend keeps a bra inher glove compartment- when she is pulled over she gets all upset and opens the glove compartment and then gets all embarrassed- and every cop every time has let her go.... :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results