shape
carat
color
clarity

Sometimes I don''t understand newbies...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of them say they''ve been reading the threads on RT before purchasing a diamond. Yet they still go out and buy what they think is a 1 ct D IF stone for $7K with a lab report from micky mouse and his friends. When will people learn... what you pay is what you''ll get. You can not buy a fillet migion for a hamburger price.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup just like you can''t buy a nice bottle of champagne on a beer budget, hehe.

aphisiglovessae

Brilliant_Rock
Which thread are you referring to?

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
LOL, "micky mouse and his friends"
31.gif

And I totally agree DF
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree with you, DF. but i guess hope springs eternal that somehow and in some way the bargain of the century can be obtained by someone having minimal knowledge.

movie zombie

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think DF is referring to any particular thread...because I think the same thing day after day re: numerous threads....
5.gif

The other day there were a few threads going on in RT, and I was reminded of this analogy....you know when you are out driving and it seems like EVERYONE that day is driving like an idiot? I felt like I was watching that same thing happen with diamond buying in RT that day. Like a train wreck!

Like Mrs Salvo's tagline states, it's really only a good deal if you are getting what you really want. It's really easy to get caught up in 'wow it's such a great deal' when in reality if you slept on it a day or two you'd realize it's really not what you want OR it's really not such a great deal after all.

I also really wish more people would find PS BEFORE buying, I will never understand what motivates people to go out and impulse purchase a $10k diamond, and THEN think about looking online to see if they can find out how they did.
20.gif
It'd be like buying a house then thinking maybe you will do some research. Eeeeee!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 4:54:10 PM
Author: Mara
I don't think DF is referring to any particular thread...because I think the same thing day after day re: numerous threads....
5.gif

The other day there were a few threads going on in RT, and I was reminded of this analogy....you know when you are out driving and it seems like EVERYONE that day is driving like an idiot? I felt like I was watching that same thing happen with diamond buying in RT that day. Like a train wreck!

Like Mrs Salvo's tagline states, it's really only a good deal if you are getting what you really want. It's really easy to get caught up in 'wow it's such a great deal' when in reality if you slept on it a day or two you'd realize it's really not what you want OR it's really not such a great deal after all.

I also really wish more people would find PS BEFORE buying, I will never understand what motivates people to go out and impulse purchase a $10k diamond, and THEN think about looking online to see if they can find out how they did.
20.gif
It'd be like buying a house then thinking maybe you will do some research. Eeeeee!!
True that!! I love it when somone can return the stone and get our guidance in finding a much better cut stone but that rarely happens within the store's return policy. They come to PS a day late and a dollar short unfortunately.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I think I know the day you are referring
5.gif

I just wish more people would find us before purchasing. I too don't understand how someone can be so trusting on ebay, the mall or even a PS vendor without researching them top and bottom. It's one thing to take a chance on a $50 item on ebay but on a huge ticket item, why take that chance.

oh, and regarding my tag line. I am one that get's so temped to settle for something slightly different than what I really want because it's a deal. My hubby is the one who really encourages me to be patient and wait a little longer to get exactly what I want. i've had to use the same words back to him to. He needs a new car and was thinking of getting something to just get by for a while. I told him, what is it you want...exactly. so he started doing some reseach and found that he really wants another SUV like one we sold last year. The prices on a used one was much better than he expected and if we save up for another month or two, he'll be able to get it, rather than settling for something he wouldn't have been 100% happy with
1.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 6:04:33 PM
Author: mrssalvo

I just wish more people would find us before purchasing. I too don''t understand how someone can be so trusting on ebay, the mall or even a PS vendor without researching them top and bottom. It''s one thing to take a chance on a $50 item on ebay but on a huge ticket item, why take that chance.
Exactly!!!

You usually get what you pay for on EBAY! There are some good deals, but usually ... it''s just so-so. Mall stores are the same, wouldn''t trust them as far as I can throw them. I would trust a PS vendor, even though ... I would still do my homework!

My husband taught me about ebay, and told be before I started looking that I have something in mind, and do my research first, because it is too easy to see something that is nice or pretty, and oh my gosh ... there''s only 1 min. and 39 secs left .... I have to bid quick! Yup, when people don''t do there research and impulsively buy things ... it doesn''t work out sometimes, or you end up paying for a dud of an item.

Grocery stores actually market and display things a certain way, and they loooove impulse buyers. That is one reason you should never go food shopping when you are hungry, and have a list of what you need. Ebay is somewhat like that. They love people just lookin'', because they know the frenzy of "the moment" that you do see something .... and bingo! You just bought yourself something that you could have found at a flea market, or estate sale for less.

Just my .03 worth.

Mara ... I wish I could be in the financial position of impulsively buying a $10,000.00 stone ... How about you?

MrsSalvo ... your tag line is soooo very true!

Have a nice evening to all.
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah really Mrs. Darlin...I''d love to impulse purchase a 5ctw diamond bracelet...hee hee.

It''s funny re: impulse purchases or getting what is close to what you want but maybe not exact....the perfect example for me was Forte Kitty''s diamond hoop earrings. I thought oh such a good deal when she was selling them, but they were a bit bigger than I wanted hoop wise and thought well I could get a great deal or wait and get what I really want...I totally thought of your tagline Mrs S!!! And another one is when Mrs Jam was selling her Simon G ring on eBay!! Oooh if only my finger was a little smaller, I thought well I could wear it on another finger but in reality I was not in the market for a Simong G ring. So I couldn''t force it even if it would have fit another finger (don''t even know that for sure!).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2006 6:04:33 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Mara, I think I know the day you are referring
5.gif

I just wish more people would find us before purchasing. I too don''t understand how someone can be so trusting on ebay, the mall or even a PS vendor without researching them top and bottom. It''s one thing to take a chance on a $50 item on ebay but on a huge ticket item, why take that chance.
we can''t help the ones whom purchase before finding PS.the ones that i don''t understand are the ones whom said they been reading RT threads for weeks and then goes on e-bay or go to a friend of an uncle
38.gif
who''s been in the wholesale diamond business before the discovery of diamonds
9.gif
and after the purchase,they think they just hit the lotto. when will people learn? "IT AIN"T GONNA TO HAPPEN"
38.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 4:54:10 PM
Author: Mara

Tell me about it! I would NEVER, EVER buy something as costly as a diamond (or, for me, a pair of jeans!) without doing some research first. Whatever you think you know isn't nearly enough until you've really read up on whatever it is you're purchasing.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. While I have learned alot about diamonds, there is 40 times more that I don''t know. I think sometimes that after having read a bit, they feel armed with enough info to make a decision - and they don''t bother to ask for advice BEFORE the decision! That''s usually when disaster strikes!

One of my biggest peeves is with people that are first time buyers. They have the ability to go anywhere, buy from anyone with no trade or whatever to consider. THEN they go directly to ebay or some off the wall place and get stuck on one stone. How can you have the whole world at your disposal and get stuck on one badly cut stone?!?!?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does make me crazy when people ask for advice, people give it very strongly (ex: SEND IT BACK NOW!!!), and they still don''t listen! I stop feeling sorry for them after a point.

I am a researcher (by nature, not profession!) and that is why I found PS before I started looking for my anniversary upgrade. Of course, it has added to my confusion, too, in some ways! I had never heard of H&A stones, for example!

Like mrssalvo, I like to be a smart shopper and get a good deal whenever possible, but her tagline needs to be tattoed to my hand! When I settle for something different that excatly what I wanted, I am never satisfied! That is exactly why I am trying to get rid of my current diamond studs so I can get what I really want! People told me studs didn''t have to be as good a quality as a ring, so I made myself buy lower than I really wanted. So now I want to get ideal cut, H, VS2 stones, and then I''ll never be dissatisfied with them! And I am just waiting until I find the perfect diamond for a ring. I could have rushed and bought the first one I looked at, but I know myself well enough that I would have eventually regretted not looking longer.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My fiance's been giving his buddy ring advice for the last couple of months. He's seen all the reputable online vendors' site and read up on H&A. At the end of the day, the friend went to Shane&Co and bought a ring there. what can you do...

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 4:14:18 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
Most of them say they''ve been reading the threads on RT before purchasing a diamond. Yet they still go out and buy what they think is a 1 ct D IF stone for $7K with a lab report from micky mouse and his friends. When will people learn... what you pay is what you''ll get. You can not buy a fillet migion for a hamburger price.
Coming from Mini Mouse.... Choose your words carefully DF, Micky Mouse happens to be a very reputable and well known professional and he''s been around for years. He''s worth a lot of money too!
emwink.gif

I think a lot of people panic after they make a major purchase and wonder if they''ve bought wisely. Would be better if they educated themselves and then bought according to the knowledge they''ve learnt. I consider myself very lucky to have found Pricescope before our major e-ring purchase. We never had moments of panic after the purchase, just complete satisfaction. It was a wonderful experience and I truly value the knowledge I gained from this forum and advice from PS''ers. The only trouble is, I can''t let go of PS, it''s so addictive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2006 12:33:20 AM
Author: MiniMouse

Date: 2/26/2006 4:14:18 PM
Author:Dancing Fire
Coming from Mini Mouse.... Choose your words carefully DF, Micky Mouse happens to be a very reputable and well known professional and he''s been around for years. He''s worth a lot of money too!
emwink.gif
Mini
35.gif

LOL....believe me,i was thinking about you when i was typing that post.
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2006 10:39:35 PM
Author: MissGotRocks
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. While I have learned alot about diamonds, there is 40 times more that I don''t know. I think sometimes that after having read a bit, they feel armed with enough info to make a decision - and they don''t bother to ask for advice BEFORE the decision! That''s usually when disaster strikes!

One of my biggest peeves is with people that are first time buyers. They have the ability to go anywhere, buy from anyone with no trade or whatever to consider. THEN they go directly to ebay or some off the wall place and get stuck on one stone. How can you have the whole world at your disposal and get stuck on one badly cut stone?!?!?
Ditto.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose it all comes down to this: You pays your money and you takes your choice.

jldunn

Rough_Rock
I wish more people would just hit the malls and skip pricescope altogether. Especially if they''re going to buy a ring there first. I think most people would be happy with a cheap rock if we didn''t tell them how flawed and overpriced it is. What they don''t know can''t hurt them. It might lessen the demand on truly spectacular diamonds and help us get some lower prices :). They guys could save some cash on the ring and switch from hamburger to filet mignon for a couple months. They could save some time researching rings and spend it developing sappy love poetry and poorly written guitar ballads. As interesting an industry as it is... we''re really paying thousands of dollars for shiny rocks. Silly. Romantic, yes. But still silly.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry DF, I have to disagree with you on this.

It is a wonderful thing to offer people genuine and honest advice, but you have to accept that at the end of the day, that person will go away and make their own decision.

Sometimes in life we have to learn things the hard way (expensive too, when you're talking about diamonds)

Blod

Anyway DF...having said all that, I do like your directness. I am from the North of England, and we are pretty much the same, in that we don't mince our words!! LOL

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2006 11:29:50 AM
Author: blodthecat
Sorry DF, I have to disagree with you on this.

Blod

Anyway DF...having said all that, I do like your directness. I am from the North of England, and we are pretty much the same, in that we don''t mince our words!! LOL
yeah, i was born in HK. Hk used to be own by UK so, i guess there must be a little bit of British in me.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2006 4:17:33 PM
Author: kaleigh
or a real LV for $100.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 6:50:40 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 2/26/2006 4:17:33 PM
Author: kaleigh
or a real LV for $100.
9.gif
True that, haha
2.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t say a whole lot on this subject, because I''m still a newbie myself and made a few threads with dumb questions.
5.gif

At least I got a AGS000, though.
1.gif
And like Mara was saying, I''m really glad I found this site before buying anything. I can''t imagine buying something as expensive as a diamond and researching it after the money is gone or even worse, after the return period is up.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I too am somewhat of a newbie, and have no right to judge another poster''s diamond choices. However, I believe that you''ve got to educate yourself and do your homework. The "perfect" stone isn''t just going to land on your finger.
I''m glad I did my research and "earned" my BEAUTIFUL e-ring.
I thank my lucky stars I found PS

This should be a sticky in RT!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Newbie here guys!

I've been lurking around this site for a month or so, and educating myself on the 4C's. Anyway, to cut a long story short, my best friends cousin's aunty's sister has a next door neighbour who drives to work with a guy who used to be in the jewellery trade. She said he would be willing to help me choose a diamond.

Last weekend we visited a local B&M and picked up a real winner of a diamond. The diamond doesn't have any paper work etc...but the guy in the store said they could give me an apprasial. He also said that buying a stone of this size meant i would never need to worry about shrinkage.

approx spec:

16ct modified round brillant
clarity: Sparkly when wet
Colour: Variable
Girdle: yes, it has one
symmetry: kinda

One week down the road, I think I may have paid to much for my diamond. The bright halogen lights sent me a bit giddy and I am worried that I may have been a tad inpulsive! What do you think I should do guys? Is it a keeper, or should I find out if there is a returns policy?

Blod
33.gif

This post is just for you Dancing Fire - just couldn't resist!!!! LOL

bacheloretteparties_1887_13860442.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Well, I impulse bid on something on ebay that was quite a lot of money!!!
32.gif

But, in my defense, I did not find this item on ebay, the person was actually selling it on the BTD website, another jewelry forum and I know this person from there as she does have a long history there.
The ring she was selling was a Superbcert diamond in a beautiful setting and she was selling it for a lot more on the BTD website ($6000). It came with a GIA certificate, Brilliance report, Sarin, etc., all the bells and whistles.
I only found out that the ring was on ebay because she had posted a link that she put the ring up on ebay, so even though I impulse bid on this ring, I knew about it from 2/2/06 and had been secretly coveting it since then, but would never have dared offer her the price that it sold for on ebay( $4167).

I would otherwise never spend that much money on a ring from ebay.
Oh, I didn''t win the ring anyway but she offered me a second chance offer, but she has now sold it to someone else on the BTD website.
2.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
You''re the one who got that ring! I had my eye on it, but I missed the ebay sale....

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what and where is this BTD board?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results