shape
carat
color
clarity

Something sweet ...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today was lesson day for one of my guitar students, a 17 yr old who's been taking lessons 3 yrs.
We are preparing to perform at a local open mic.
Since he doesn't sing he wants his girlfriend to, so the 3 of us have been practicing.

Today she was wearing new blingy ring on THAT finger, yes THAT finger.
I asked her if it was an engagement ring.
She replied, "No, it's a promise ring."

After appropriate congratulations I couldn't resist giving them my spiel, Diamond Buying101.
I told 'em I don't know about many things, but I do know tons about diamonds and if an engagement diamond is in their future please allow me to edjumacte them because many people get SOOOO ripped off overpaying for frozen spit. ;(
I reassured them my advice makes me zero money.
I don't even ask them to say, "Kenny sent you."

Do you ever help people buy diamonds?

Anyway, it was such a sweet moment.

Last edited:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I helped all three of my sons with diamonds for their wives. All three wives appreciate it very much that they didn’t go to Jared. :shock:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve already told my sons (age 15 and 17) not to buy any diamonds for anyone without consulting me first! Hopefully they won’t be buying rings for at least 10 years, though :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to help with jewellery purchases all the time as the usual offerings in the UK are soooooo pricey and over valued IMHO.
However nearly all are too scared to import from abroad, hey ho!

DK :rolleyes:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time. Ha ha. When I was working I was the “go to gal” for all the guys in the company wanting to buy something both lovely and good value. My reputation preceded me! I got phone calls or drop ins saying “x told me you know all about diamonds and jewellery and stuff can you help me ..... Back in those days there was a wonderful Jewish estate jeweller both my mother and I frequented. I saw my first D colour Flawless diamond there and also coloured diamonds long before they were “a thing”. Mr Steiner was a legend! Anyhow I often took various guys to see him to get rings, earrings, necklaces for presents etc. I remember Mr Steiner telling my mother he was concerned about the “number of boys I seemed to be going through” ha ha.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my son has 2 young men that are his friends and they are in serious relationships and I told both of them dont you dare buy any diamond without checking with me and better yet let me help you pick one out and or I will send you to pricescope (the one lives 7 hours away) to have them help you out, they both work hard for their money and I dont want them to get ripped off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if it counts but I have met quite a few PSers diamond shopping and while they are educated consumers they wanted me along with my old cut experience and they all ended up getting beautiful pieces. It makes me so happy to have been a part of their old cut diamond adventures and that they have pieces that bring them joy.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I do like to help, but I am no expert. I only chime in on the boards whenever I feel I can help. I am hopeless and finding stones. However, if ppl need opinion ( I am full of it!! ) whenever they are conflicted- I try to guide them thru the process.

Ppl at work haven’t asked me cos they all married/ divorced or happily single....

I tried to help a cousin in the east coast, ask for the GIA certificate and I can review the numbers.....but never got it....I must say that he seemed to have done alright for himself.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried before, but usually it feel on deaf ears. I don't try anymore.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I directed my friend to a fabulous Whiteflash ACA in a platinum setting that a guy was selling on Craigslist. It was priced very well but still expensive for the average Craigslist shopper. It came with all the paperwork and we sat in her car exchanging cash for ring. She belived me when I told her this is the real deal. And it was!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I directed my friend to a fabulous Whiteflash ACA in a platinum setting that a guy was selling on Craigslist. It was priced very well but still expensive for the average Craigslist shopper. It came with all the paperwork and we sat in her car exchanging cash for ring. She belived me when I told her this is the real deal. And it was!

I can’t even imagine this being sold on Craigslist...:shock:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you ever help people buy diamonds?
Yes, I recommended a BG blue to my future SIL which my daughter is wearing now, plus I also recommended 4 CBIs to 4 of friends and none of them are disappointed with my choice.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not really, but then again all my friends know I'm mostly an Opal guy. I have had some friends ask if I knew anything about other gems and I've been happy to help them find a good purchase since it was something outside of what I usually offer. Usually it just involves them sending me screenshots and me going 'nahh' ten times until they find something that is a good buy :lol-2:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I can’t even imagine this being sold on Craigslist...:shock:

There are Teslas and $100k RVs sold on CL. I guess it's not unheard of to list diamonds, but not your average item for sale.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results