shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone''s comment about my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
I was having lunch with two of my friends and a girl I''ve met for the first time. My friend commented on my new Tacori halo on how much bigger it looks than my old solitaire. She went on and commented "Diamonds are evil". I understand that Blood Diamond the movie has played a role on this comment but I take a lot of offense when someone calls my ring (a symbol of love from my husband) as evil. UGH thanks for letting me rant.
29.gif

And this comes a week or so after someone in my work asking whether or not it''s real or not. URGH.

sera

Ideal_Rock
20.gif
Ugh.

You know what comment my FI got last week about my diamond? He was telling a coworker about the custom setting being made and the coworker says, "Well, if you ever split up, I''ll buy it from you."
23.gif
WHAT THE?!
20.gif
People can say some really dumb things.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should remind her how rare "blood diamonds" are. I forgot what the % is but hopefully someone else will chime in. What an annoying comment. She is probably just jealous!
2.gif

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, how rude! Some folks just say mean things to make you uncomfortable because they are jealous. I say just ignore ''em.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stinks, and also am thinking she''s jealous.
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
ugh. that''s just jerky. Where are people''s manners?!

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:28:13 PM
Author: Kaleigh
That stinks, and also am thinking she''s jealous.
2.gif
Ditto Kaleigh and Tacori... sounds like jealousy to me too... I would try to ignore it (although I know how hard it can be) but at least you can come rant to us
10.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I take an unholy amount of glee in telling people whose knowledge of the industry is based solely on a single watching of "Blood Diamond" about the Kimberley Process. And Canadian mining practices. And the fact that mine''s from Russia. Petty? Yeah. But maybe they''ll think twice before they make uninformed statements in the future ....

P.S. - Sera, seriously? Ahahahaha. That has to take the cake for Worst Comment EVAH.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Comments like that really P**S me off.

There''s so much more involed than the miniscule % that are indeed "blood" diamonds. (I''m not making light of those that are)

Think of the people that work with them. How many would be left jobless (and in some countries starving) if the diamond market just ceased to exist. Would your friend find them another job to support themselves and their families? Doubtful.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:24:47 PM
Author: sera
20.gif
Ugh.

You know what comment my FI got last week about my diamond? He was telling a coworker about the custom setting being made and the coworker says, ''Well, if you ever split up, I''ll buy it from you.''
23.gif
WHAT THE?!
20.gif
People can say some really dumb things.

REALLY?!? The nerve!!! That is seriously just plain wrong!
29.gif
And it''s always moments like this when my mind goes blank and can''t think of anything witty to say back. Oh well, some people are just not worth it I guess.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jealousy is a terrible thing! I personally really enjoy people who base their opinions of a subject on a Hollywood movie...hilarious.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys for making me feel better. I felt just the need to vent since no one I know really understand my obsession about diamonds. It really bothers me that people automatically assume you''re materialistic or money-grubbing when you like sparklies.
14.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
People can be pretty lame. I am sorry you have to cope with it. Just ignore her!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 6:58:31 PM
Author: fabcrab
Thanks guys for making me feel better. I felt just the need to vent since no one I know really understand my obsession about diamonds. It really bothers me that people automatically assume you''re materialistic or money-grubbing when you like sparklies.
14.gif

Well I am materialistic, soooo...they can assume that all they want about me!
11.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I had two um, *interesting* experiences myself recently...

I was in the lunch line at work and someone behind me said, "Your diamond is so pretty and sparkly. Do you clean it?" I really like this person and I didn''t mean to be rude, but I''m sure I cocked my head and looked at her like she had just grown a 2nd head!!! Not, "How often do you clean it?" or even, "What do you clean it with?" Noooooo, just "Do you clean it?" I finally said, "Oh yeah... every day. Dirty diamonds don''t sparkle!" And she just laughed and laughed over that.
33.gif

The second one was also at work, and someone I know said, "Oh! I just love your diamond! Then she said, "Hey, Tracy, come and look at this diamond!" So "Tracy" walks over (I don''t know Tracy) and she holds my hand and looks at my diamond and says extremely nonchalantly (like *yawn yawn, ho-hum...*, and one shade shy of bored out of her gourd), "Oh. Uh huh. Yeah. Hm."
23.gif
33.gif
20.gif
I KNOW I looked at her like she was nuts.

People can be funny, alright!!!
2.gif

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Diamonds are not evil - people are!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Siggghhhhh... I am ashamed to admit that in my past, pre-diamond obsession, I did not understand the beauty of diamonds, nor the emotional connection that people feel for diamonds, and I *may* have made comments like the one you experienced
7.gif
. I said them out of ignorance, a touch of big-mouth-itis, and maybe a little jealousy too... I hope your acquaintance also said what she did out of ignorance, not malicious intent, and hopefully you won''t take it too much to heart.

DD

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing, a girl after my own heart!!!

I joke. But I do have a materialistic side. If people in my life (not my closest friends but other pals) knew what I spend on crap a month, stuff I do not need in any way...well, let''s just say I do not talk about it much. I love to shop and love bling too.

I do not love what can happen with diamonds, conflict free are of course my choice. Now that we know what goes on, it makes sense...

But people who are snarky just because they can be get a big thumbs down from me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2008 10:24:01 PM
Author: akmiss
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

DITTO!!!!!!!!! (Don''t blame the diamonds!!!!)
9.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Can''t say anything surprises me, what people will say. EVIL DIAMONDS!!! Lol, that is so rude but it does crack me up, it''s so dumb!

I work with antique jewelry and people are ALWAYS asking me unholy weird things about my jewelry. "Is it real?" "What''d you pay for it?" I had one woman get angry that my rings weren''t for sale. That was the most awesomely odd thing I think. She wanted to buy my engagement ring and kept asking "How much?" "Ummmm it''s not for sale, it''s my wedding set." "But how much?" Um, just because I''m standing near jewelry for sale doesn''t mean you can buy mine!

Oh, then there was the woman who serenaded my rings. That was frigging ODD. She was definitely a few fries short of a happy meal, but she kept grabbing my hands and holding them captive. Then, while pinning me there, she decided she had to sing to me because I had such lovely jewelry. It was about a year ago, I can''t remember what I did in response- probably just stared at her with my jaw unhinged in horror. I hate the unasked for hand seizure thing in general but that was the worst ever, she would NOT turn me loose.

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:08:45 PM
Author:fabcrab
I was having lunch with two of my friends and a girl I''ve met for the first time. My friend commented on my new Tacori halo on how much bigger it looks than my old solitaire. She went on and commented ''Diamonds are evil''. I understand that Blood Diamond the movie has played a role on this comment but I take a lot of offense when someone calls my ring (a symbol of love from my husband) as evil. UGH thanks for letting me rant.
29.gif
The next time anyone says something like that, just tell them, "A boycott of African diamonds would cause the only two representative, peaceful democracies in Africa to collapse overnight. Now that would be evil."

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 11:23:42 PM
Author: diamondfan
Thing, a girl after my own heart!!!

I joke. But I do have a materialistic side. If people in my life (not my closest friends but other pals) knew what I spend on crap a month, stuff I do not need in any way...well, let''s just say I do not talk about it much. I love to shop and love bling too.

I do not love what can happen with diamonds, conflict free are of course my choice. Now that we know what goes on, it makes sense...

But people who are snarky just because they can be get a big thumbs down from me.

9.gif
I''m with you df-I spend a ridiculous amount of my money on clothes and shoes...I am a bit materialistic, but I like to think I''m not obnoxious about it! I also try to avoid adding up my purchases in my head because I know it''s just too much! But I just love clothes and shoes-having them makes me happy, and fashion is really a hobby of mine. Plus it''s my job so I can''t really avoid it! And hey-at least I get a discount on most of it!

I think most people in the U.S. are materialistic whether they''ll admit it or not, and some get jealous when someone has something they want and don''t have...hence the snarky comment to fabcrab and others about their diamonds! I''ve had my fair share of snarky comments, too, and I''ve had a few comments about blood diamonds, too. I just want to tell people to do their research, because believe it or not, Hollywood movies aren''t usually based on facts! But I''m surprisingly polite in situations like that, so I bite my tongue!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think some people have to have their cause du jour. It is PC to say that but if they were offered a diamond something tells me they might not think about it then, but who knows?

I wish I got a discount. I have hubby, the human calculator, adding it all up. I am really bad because I am buying very expensive stuff, and if I am buying a dressy dress I wear it once and want something new for the next party. I also love shoes and bags. Hubby cannot imagine why I need one more (or 10) lipsticks or another purse or shoes or whatever, but I am totally addicted. I do not think I go a day without some kind of shopping for myself, either in a store or on line. It is seriously nutty and the price of things now makes it even worse. Yikes. But I love fashion so much, and love putting things together. How fun that that is what you get paid to do.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/7/2008 11:38:31 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

Oh, then there was the woman who serenaded my rings.

This cracks me up, as I have a friend whom I can easily imagine doing this, but only because she does it to ME - I doubt she pulls it on strangers (well, I *hope*). But, yeah, what can I say? Bling makes her happy, and when she''s happy, she sings. Sometimes, she also makes chipmunk noises. I assure you, she''s eminently sane: just very susceptible to outbursts of joy. And, given the grouches occupying the rest of the thread ....

... ah, balance.
41.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 3:11:48 AM
Author: Circe

Oh, then there was the woman who serenaded my rings.

This cracks me up, as I have a friend whom I can easily imagine doing this, but only because she does it to ME - I doubt she pulls it on strangers (well, I *hope*). But, yeah, what can I say? Bling makes her happy, and when she''s happy, she sings. Sometimes, she also makes chipmunk noises. I assure you, she''s eminently sane: just very susceptible to outbursts of joy. And, given the grouches occupying the rest of the thread ....

... ah, balance.
41.gif
Oh my goodness... that''s hilarious and disturbing at the same time!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 5:46:22 PM
Author: Circe
I take an unholy amount of glee in telling people whose knowledge of the industry is based solely on a single watching of ''Blood Diamond'' about the Kimberley Process. And Canadian mining practices. And the fact that mine''s from Russia. Petty? Yeah. But maybe they''ll think twice before they make uninformed statements in the future ....

P.S. - Sera, seriously? Ahahahaha. That has to take the cake for Worst Comment EVAH.
I''m betting they will continue not even thinking once!
20.gif

Yeah, I had to ask FI, "She seriously said that?!" Then gave her-via-him a WOTEV look
20.gif
. At least we can laugh at all the STOOpid comments here and give them a virtual slap upside the head.
slap4.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
She was definitely a few fries short of a happy meal

LMAO I have never heard that saying before thanks for the giggle

I can''t believe people say such horrible things like others have said jealousy is a mean spirited animal. Just try t shrug it off and be happy you have sparklies beautiful enough to be jealous off :)

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 10:24:01 PM
Author: akmiss

double ditto! Some people are just so rude!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't say anything surprises me, what people will say. EVIL DIAMONDS!!! Lol, that is so rude but it does crack me up, it's so dumb!

I work with antique jewelry and people are ALWAYS asking me unholy weird things about my jewelry. 'Is it real?' 'What'd you pay for it?' I had one woman get angry that my rings weren't for sale. That was the most awesomely odd thing I think. She wanted to buy my engagement ring and kept asking 'How much?' 'Ummmm it's not for sale, it's my wedding set.' 'But how much?' Um, just because I'm standing near jewelry for sale doesn't mean you can buy mine!

That's just weird. It's like asking a person working at a clothing store how much they want for their clothing. You know, I should try this! Sometimes I see great shoes on sales people and since they are selling clothing/shoe clearly they should sell the shoes off of their feet to me
2.gif

I have to wonder what her response would have been if you'd asked to buy this woman's wedding set.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two ways to deal with snarky comments
2.gif
:

1. Smile your most fabulous smile and say "Thank you for sharing" (but be sure to say it like you don''t mean it).

2. Smile your most fabulous smile and say "Eat your heart out."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results