shape
carat
color
clarity

Someone''s comment about my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 2:13:58 AM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 4/7/2008 11:23:42 PM
Author: diamondfan
Thing, a girl after my own heart!!!

I joke. But I do have a materialistic side. If people in my life (not my closest friends but other pals) knew what I spend on crap a month, stuff I do not need in any way...well, let''s just say I do not talk about it much. I love to shop and love bling too.

I do not love what can happen with diamonds, conflict free are of course my choice. Now that we know what goes on, it makes sense...

But people who are snarky just because they can be get a big thumbs down from me.

9.gif
I''m with you df-I spend a ridiculous amount of my money on clothes and shoes...I am a bit materialistic, but I like to think I''m not obnoxious about it! I also try to avoid adding up my purchases in my head because I know it''s just too much! But I just love clothes and shoes-having them makes me happy, and fashion is really a hobby of mine. Plus it''s my job so I can''t really avoid it! And hey-at least I get a discount on most of it!

I think most people in the U.S. are materialistic whether they''ll admit it or not, and some get jealous when someone has something they want and don''t have...hence the snarky comment to fabcrab and others about their diamonds! I''ve had my fair share of snarky comments, too, and I''ve had a few comments about blood diamonds, too. I just want to tell people to do their research, because believe it or not, Hollywood movies aren''t usually based on facts! But I''m surprisingly polite in situations like that, so I bite my tongue!
Both of you are not materialistic, you are just fabulous!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
People tend to recite what they hear without being able to think critically on their own. When we first started researching diamonds, blood diamonds were something I wanted to know more about (like many PSers, I''m sure), so guess what...I did some research and after doing the research, it was no longer a concern because I could easily find a vendor that abided by the Kimberly process.

I''ve gotten a few "blood diamond" references about my ring and I usually respond with an equally snarky comment like "Don''t buy them, then, it leaves more for me!"

My favorite, though, is when people buy gemstones instead of diamonds as a statement about diamond mining...and don''t realize that often times those mines are even worse because they are less regulated. Oops!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Simply, why thank you! Having an annoying day so that was very nice!
26.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 8:16:41 PM
26.gif

df, you''re definitely a lot more fancy and fabulous than me, but I like to think I''ve got style!
9.gif
And I plan to be just as fancy and fabulous as you when I grow up!
3.gif

But thank you also, simply!
5.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
How aggrevating. I experienced a similar situation: I told my MIL that I want to study for the GIA certification and she was THRILLED and decided to tell a relative and her response was "are they still mining blood diamonds in Sierra Leon?". Odd thing is she wears diamonds, so the impression she gave off was that of jealousy (me having an opportunity to study something fun).

Out of curiosity, is the gal who made the comment to you married? Maybe her comment stems from secretly wanting a beautiful ring?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 8:33:14 PM

26.gif

df, you''re definitely a lot more fancy and fabulous than me, but I like to think I''ve got style!
9.gif
3.gif

5.gif

When you grow up LOL...I am quite sure you are TOTALLY FAB as you are right now!

Sometimes I do not feel grown myself though I feel like groaning...

I am a total girl. Of course I have three sons. Oh well...love them and hope they bring me great daughter''s in laws...

Hubby came down the stairs one day, I was in Hello Kitty pj bottoms, a tank with sparkles and hearts on it, pink uggs and my coat. I had just run my youngest to school, I had overslept and school is literally down the street so I tossed my coat on over my pj''s. Hubby looked at my outfit and said, not in a bad way, You are SUCH a girl. Heck yes. I am a diva from way back. When I was in kindergarten my nickname was Zsa Zsa.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2008 11:38:31 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Can''t say anything surprises me, what people will say. EVIL DIAMONDS!!! Lol, that is so rude but it does crack me up, it''s so dumb!

I work with antique jewelry and people are ALWAYS asking me unholy weird things about my jewelry. ''Is it real?'' ''What''d you pay for it?'' I had one woman get angry that my rings weren''t for sale. That was the most awesomely odd thing I think. She wanted to buy my engagement ring and kept asking ''How much?'' ''Ummmm it''s not for sale, it''s my wedding set.'' ''But how much?'' Um, just because I''m standing near jewelry for sale doesn''t mean you can buy mine!

Oh, then there was the woman who serenaded my rings. That was frigging ODD. She was definitely a few fries short of a happy meal, but she kept grabbing my hands and holding them captive. Then, while pinning me there, she decided she had to sing to me because I had such lovely jewelry. It was about a year ago, I can''t remember what I did in response- probably just stared at her with my jaw unhinged in horror. I hate the unasked for hand seizure thing in general but that was the worst ever, she would NOT turn me loose.

That is plain WEIRD!!! She serenated your rings? What did she sing?????
6.gif

Wow thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. People sometimes are pretty rude. Thinking about it, I don''t think she meant to be malicious but sometimes I just get really defensive about my bling! hehe. It''s almost like I get embarassed when it becomes the center of attention just because I feel the judgement in the air.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 11:56:30 PM
Date: 4/8/2008 8:33:14 PM

26.gif

9.gif
3.gif

5.gif

When you grow up LOL...I am quite sure you are TOTALLY FAB as you are right now!

Sometimes I do not feel grown myself though I feel like groaning...

I am a total girl. Of course I have three sons. Oh well...love them and hope they bring me great daughter''s in laws...

Hubby came down the stairs one day, I was in Hello Kitty pj bottoms, a tank with sparkles and hearts on it, pink uggs and my coat. I had just run my youngest to school, I had overslept and school is literally down the street so I tossed my coat on over my pj''s. Hubby looked at my outfit and said, not in a bad way, You are SUCH a girl. Heck yes. I am a diva from way back. When I was in kindergarten my nickname was Zsa Zsa.

Hahaha-yeah, I can''t bring myself to think I''m a grown up just yet...the fact that I''m back in college (even though I''m almost done) doesn''t make it any easier!

Your pink outfit sounds amazing! And I love the Zsa Zsa nickname-sounds like you were born a girly shopper! I am actually pretty new to the girl thing-I was a total tomboy until age 21ish. I''ve played sports since I was 5 and I have 2 older brothers, so my twin sister and I were extreme tomboys! I''ve always loved clothes and shoes, but I used to be so much sportier until I started working retail in clothing stores! (Think cargo shorts and Converse on a daily basis!)

Now I basically would never leave the house in an outfit like that...it''s kind of ridiculous, really! Anyways, I hope you end up with great daughters in laws to be girly with! I bet you''d be a fun mother in law to hang out with and go shopping...and no matter what, I know you won''t be anything like your scary mother in law!
14.gif
I thank my lucky stars I don''t have a (future) MIL like that!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was a definite vision. A vision of what I do not know. Let''s just say I am NOT a morning gal and can be a bit, grouchy? And leave it at that!

Yeah, I am soo girly girl it SCARES hubby to death. I think he is glad we have sons though. Too much girl in me, I have enough for a team. He would never make it out alive. Got the girl dog, but though she is my pretty and has cupcake collars, she is a large sporting breed and very low maintenance. Hubby would not carry a dog with a barrette.

I have always and I mean since I was 3 or 4 loved jewels, dress up, make up. Just scary. The more the better, sparkle nail polish, pepto pink lip gloss, light blue eye shadow...I was into it at 5 and looked a bit over done. Of course I thought I was gorgeous, go figure. My older sister was a tom boy and I do not think my mom expected the girly explosion that was me.

I always feel things are in your life for a reason. My mother in law''s point of existence, if she has one, was to show me how NOT to be as a mother in law. Really. That is her only purpose in my world. She sucks, and so I hope NOT to emulate most of her more truly awful tendencies.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
How rude - and uneducated about diamonds.

That said, I was very rude to my SIL yesterday. She asked me to check the prongs on her e-ring (I designed it for her a few years ago). I had a minor fit when I saw how dirty it was - I mean black - it''s an 1.51rb F VS2, so no excuse.

It can''t go in an ultrasonic because of the emerald side-stones, but even so.

I went out at lunch and bought a baby toothbrush. Then I made her hand it over and went into the bathroom and scrubbed it for a good 15 minutes. It still isn''t clean right where the stone touches the setting (It''s very hard to clean there).

So I brought her in a bottle of jewellery cleaner for her today and told her to soak it for 10 minutes or so a couple of times a week and hopefully that will shift it.

Luckily she just finds my obsession funny - and agreed her rock looked a hell of a lot better after it''s bath!
31.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Ouch, Pandora! You put so much effort into that ring, it should at least be (spotlessly, obsessively) clean.

I had to take a ring from my cousin last week. It's a 1ct princess with trill sidestones, a nice ring with very lovely diamonds. She's worn it since her engagement, 6 years ago. It has never been cleaned.

She was surprised at how sparkly it was when I cleaned it. Bless.

Jen

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2008 11:50:05 AM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Ouch, Pandora! You put so much effort into that ring, it should at least be (spotlessly, obsessively) clean.

I had to take a ring from my cousin last week. It''s a 1ct princess with trill sidestones, a nice ring with very lovely diamonds. She''s worn it since her engagement, 6 years ago. It has never been cleaned.

She was surprised at how sparkly it was when I cleaned it. Bless.

Jen
6.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2008 7:45:21 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Two ways to deal with snarky comments
2.gif
:

1. Smile your most fabulous smile and say ''Thank you for sharing'' (but be sure to say it like you don''t mean it).

2. Smile your most fabulous smile and say ''Eat your heart out.''
HA! I love it
31.gif

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Not to threadjack my own thread, but I just want to share my experience getting my w-bad rhodium plated yesterday. Well, I went to this store that carries Ritanis to get my it done so I''ll have some eye candy while killing time. So I''ve been dyingggg to see the endless love setting with the halo a la chellebelle (sp?). So I asked the lady if I can try on the endless love halo. She responded "Is that what they call that ring lately? Who calls that endless love?" and I responded "Um. the designer". And it wasn''t even my intent to go in the store and be a smarta$$, it was just my reaction. Hehe I hope I wasn''t too mean.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results